Hello everyone, need to Make a change in my life (tips welco

Options
I I have tried many weight loss programs and I can't ever seem to stick to one. the moment I feel that it isn't working I give up and go back to my old eating habits. The source of my problem is that I find it hard to change the food that I eat. I am of Hispanic origin and naturally latin food is so bad for me but is also so good and hard to resist. More so when it is the one food that I cannot resist.
I could definitely use some pointers.
Maybe some recipes that are low calorie and especially low sodium as I am borderline high blood pressure.
If anyone knows of any low calories/low sodium meals with Latin flavor.

Anything helps thanks!

Replies

• EnS1110
    EnS1110 Posts: 10
    Options
    A lot of people use weight loss "programs" and see results but they are not for everyone. I love to eat! lol but I found that creating my own routine and doing a little research has helped me come a long way. Start by trying smaller portions of the same food you like and skip the seconds..and add walking or a light jog to your daily routine. From there you can determine what fitnes activities you enjoy.. Maybe its boxing, or swimming, or running.. DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU!!!
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    the American Heart association has a cook book.. They are low sodium and low cal. :-)
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Do you mind tracking your food intake. If not, then I would just go ahead and track your food for a few day to see how many calories you are actually eating. Then go back and look at the diary - see where you can cut back. At dinner if we are having something fattening and yummy I will have a small portion with a big salad. This way I can still enjoy the food I like but lose weight.
  • Griffonics
    Griffonics Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When it comes to latin food, you are unfortunately right its hard to make it really healthy. But it is possible.
    You have all the basics of a very healthy diet in it, its just a matter of making it work.

http://www.emcfrontenac.ca/20110804/news/Look+to+Latin+cooking+to+improve+health This should give you hope!

Instead of eating a starch with starch (like beans and rice) on the same plate, have one, and a salad. You can make a latin inspired vinagrette dressing for that salad too. ie) 1/2 c red wine vinegar 1/2 c olive or other healthy oil 1 Tbsp agave nectar and then season to your desire, cilantro, hot peppers, hot mustard, and so on! (also, agave nectar is wonderful stuff, twice as sweet as sugar, same amount of calories per tbsp, works wonders)

Switch to making your sofritos (if you are cuban) with a water saute instead of oil. It works just as well, and the ingredients to sofrito are rather good for you!
    http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/04/great-strategy-healthy-water-sauteing.html
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=whfkitqa&dbid=6

Cilantro is a power packed flavour that allows you a great way to cut down on salt. Go slowly, and reduce your intake over a few weeks and soon you won't notice the change. As are peppers, black pepper, garlic, and all of the myriad of incredible spices that make latin foods amazing.

Eat seafood instead of pork, and limit your intake of rice, or switch to Quinoa (its a great substitute and protein packed). Max out the veggies and seasoning, while minimizing salt and fat.

(I've been cooking professionally for almost a decade, I love food, and I love finding healthier ways to make the food i love, good luck!)