Stepped on scale and felt like crying...

Options
Hi there.

What do you guys do after a not so successful weigh in? I feel like curling into ball and never looking at anyone again. I have not weighed in for a long period of time, about 4 months, because I was abroad, traveling and studying. My body fat has gone up to 27% and my weight up over 15 pounds. I don’t wanna see or do anything now. I don’t understand how a number on a scale can do that to me...

Just need some advice on what you guys do.

Thank you.

Current BF: 27.5
Current MM: 34
Current weight: 188lbs
Current height 5’9

Replies

• plear3682
    plear3682 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m right there with you. It can be so discouraging. I weighed myself and I hate myself...I weigh what I weighed 9 months pregnant!!! I started to eat healthier and eat less, drank lots of water and stayed away from junk food. After 1 week and expecting to have at least lost 1 pound, I was crushed when the scale didn’t budge. I cried and thought “I might as well just eat what I want!” I gave up and now am so depressed. I started back dieting just today and am determined to lose some weight before Christmas! I need some support too. Maybe we can encourage each other?
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Totally understand what you are feeling... That's why I turned off the mfp status updates for my weight. It's nice when I have lost but depressing when I gain back. And my loss has been super up and down so far. I mean the general trend is down but the scale moves a lot... Hang in there. Think more in fitness goals than weight goals. Just tell yourself to keep trying for one more week. A week is a short time in the overall scheme of things.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    First, ignore the body fat % from a scale. It is less accurate than guessing your body fat %. I mean it is a horrible way to measure body fat % and has some many confounding factors that will make the reading incorrect even if used correctly.

Second, you say it has been a while since you weighed. How accurate and consistent was your logging during that time. Consistency longterm and accurate measuring of your portions is very important to progress. You don't just accidentally put on 15 pounds. I would suggest you go over your diary and honestly evaluate your logging for consistency and accuracy. If you don't feel capable of it, open your diary and ask for people's input. If you were not logging, start now.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I have some work to do and do it. I track food and exercise on MFP. And I remind myself that a 15 pound detour is not a referendum on my worth as a human being. You enjoyed four months of traveling and that's a great life experience to have had. You can lose this weight gain in about four months. Enjoy your life!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    Well if everything in life was success without trying, then there would be no failure. Thing is failure is something we LEARN from. It's from these learning experiences that one builds resiliency and discipline.
    Personally I believe if people who start off strong and see nothing but success, then encounter a failure, hardly ever continue on the path. Then you have those that struggle, might see failure a few times BUT NEVER GIVE UP and then taste success. And they continue because even if they fail again along the way, they've already learned how to overcome it. And believe it or not, that's just about everyone's success story who is a success now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you weren't tracking calories during that time and just eating whatever at least you enjoyed yourself. You can't go back and redo it but you can begin again. There are unknown foods and different models of preparation in a different country. Also there may be more drinking and parties. You might not have had access to a gym. There are many variables to cause weight gain in that context. Just get back to logging and move on. Beating yourself up about it doesn't help you lose weight.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Put it into perspective. You're blowing it wayyyyy out of proportion.

You have to look at it as data, not as a judgement of you as a person. Now you know something important. You need to lose some weight. No big deal. Just get to work.

Maybe don't wait so long between weigh ins in the future.

And be kinder to yourself.

This is what I was going to say: perspective! First of all, you're tall so 15 lbs isn't much. You can lose it. Sounds like it took 4 months to gain, so figure 4 months to lose it. Four months is a small period of time in your life.

Also, you said it was due to studying and traveling abroad. Awesome! Not everyone gets to do that, so don't lose sight of all the experiences you gained! Those can't be replaced or taken from you.