Pasta lovers...

Options
I am such a huge fan of spaghetti and penne dinners. I can't eat that like I was after seeing the amount of calories are in a serving. HELP!!! What is a lower cal way of getting my pasta fix? I found the fix for potatoes....either cauliflower or sweet potato so what is my alternative choices for pasta?

Replies

• phatphd
    phatphd Posts: 45
    Options
    I roast spaghetti squash and use it in place of spaghetti. It's absolutely delicious!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I second the spaghetti squash idea.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I roast spaghetti squash and use it in place of spaghetti. It's absolutely delicious!
    ^^ This^^ ...it is sooo good! And soo east to make.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    I just run/bike more to make up for it...

You can take away my pasta when you peel it from my cold, dead hands!!
  • jslmom1
    jslmom1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also use spaghetti squash. It's so yummy witha light alfredo sauce or just with butter and parmesan Cheese. Yummy stuff:)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For me, none of the substitutes out there are adequate. While spaghetti squash is good in its own right, it tastes nothing like pasta and the texture is all wrong. There is only one pasta! I just eat less of it or budget calories if I want a big bowl of it.
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You might also try tofu shirataki. It's a noodle made from tofu, and it's quite low calorie and low carb. It's not as cheap as pasta, but it's good for ya', anyway.
  • dewpetals
    dewpetals Posts: 68 Member
    Options

LOL, my sentiments exactly. Oh me, but I must control myself, so hard to do..
  • regina_mundi
    Options
    I just run/bike more to make up for it...

Yep. I eat pasta every day, but I halve the serving size and make up for it with a vegetable. Sometimes it's frozen green beans thrown in seconds before I drain the pasta before tossing it all in a pesto made with spinach, garlic, almonds, a bit of parmigiano-reggiano, and tons of the basil that is taking over my garden.

I also make haluski, which is an eastern European dish that combines cabbage with egg noodles. The original is full of butter and sour cream, which I'll totally forgo.