Fiber

Options
I need suggestions on how to get more fiber into my diet, without a lot of calories.

Replies

• CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    throw a couple tablespoons of Wheat Bran or Oat Bran into your yogurt!!!!
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Fiber One cereal is very tasty and lots of fiber. Low calorie.
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    benefiber... You can mix it into anything as long as it is the tasteless kind :)
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat a fiber plus bar for breakfast everymorning with fruit and usually have my Healthy Life 35 calorie bread sandwich with spinich on it instead of regular lettuce and I usually go over my fiber needs for the day.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    I just started using benefiber... they suggest using it 3 times a day but I've been using it once a day. 2 tsp is 15 calories so I'm only adding an extra 30 calories a day, but getting more fiber!
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    Fiber One cereal is very tasty and lots of fiber. Low calorie.

Fiber One is a great brand... The fiber one bars are delicious and I love their new 90 calories fiber one brownies!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    beans! certain breads..
  • amandaking0420
    Options
    I use the sugar free metamucil and i do 1 tablespoon every night. Im supposed to do that twice a day but it makes me very bloated and I only take it at night. I would love to find something better, but I need something that is Gluten free.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    throw a couple tablespoons of Wheat Bran or Oat Bran into your yogurt!!!!

or flax meal. 2 birds with one stone, adds omega 3's
  • ms_luciana
    Options
    Fiber One products are thee best, she's right! I really like their low-fat cottage cheese!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    benefiber... You can mix it into anything as long as it is the tasteless kind :)

I adore the benefiber on the go flavor packets! I get the flavored kind, 10 calories: Strawberry Lemonade, Cherry Pomagrante, Green Tea soooooo yummy
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables :-)
    Apples and peaches :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Jewellea
    Jewellea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try making lean ground turkey chili with black beans.. weight watchers has a great one point chili recipe :happy:
  • tammyll3
    tammyll3 Posts: 44
    Options
    I like Thomas' English muffins. They have 100 calories with a third of your daily fiber. Instead of putting butter on them, I use low or no sugar jelly. Also, I incorporate flax seed in to anything I can (ground meats), yogurt, and sauces. I like the fiber one products. Just be careful when or if you use the cereals, some of them are a bit high in calories. They recently came out with an 80 calorie cereal that has 10 fiber per serving. Good luck to you!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables :-)
    Apples and peaches :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

YES YES YES!!
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    Metamucil
  • tofeelwell
    tofeelwell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I look for fiber content and track it on MFP, because it also keeps me from feeling hungry by slowing digestion, a process which also slows the impact of sugars. I add a 1/4c of Fiber One to any cereal and it can also be added to salads and such. I limit bread choices to multigrain or stone-ground whole wheat. Pears are very high fiber but look for small pears to get the fiber with fewer calories.But pears are a great treat, baked or dressed with plain yogurt and cinnamon/nutmeg. Always eat apples/pears with their skins. I use Kamut pasta whenever possible, I replace/avoid white rice and white potatoes with other grains and sweet potatoes. In general, large helpings of veggies will add food fiber.

I use bars lightly because most are high in sugars and salt too . I cut a a Clif bar Oatmeal Walnut Raisin bar into quarters, about 60 calories that are plenty filling due to the fiber content.
  • Summer_Rose
    Options
    I like the oroweat english muffins with Double Fiber. :smile: :smile:
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I just went out and purchased some Benefiber...I'm hoping to sneak it into my dinners and get some more fiber into my husband, lol! Sneaky!
  • Dean31
    Dean31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lentils are high in fiber (11g per serving!), as are many beans. Also, Splenda makes a packet of sweetener that has a gram of fiber in it that's a sugar free way to sweeten tea and coffee and add a gram of fiber or two.