799 calories left to eat but I'm not hungry!

Options
I am on 1350 calories a day to lose weight (am 70kg, want to be 60kg) but have gotten to the end of the day on just under 800.
Should I force myself to get to my calorie goal or just leave it? This has happened a few times this week and I'm not binging on the other days either.

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd probably grab an ounce of cheese, a handful of nuts, half an avocado... some small items that aren't really filling and try to hit at least 1200 calories. That's the minimum number of calories a woman should eat every day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of calories to have left over at the end of the day. If you're often eating net 800 calories in a day, then yes, you definitely need to be eating more. 800 is not enough to meet your body's nutritional and energy needs.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You need to eat more. Regularly eating only 800 calories is seriously under-nourishing your body and not meeting your expenditure needs. Doing so can seriously impact many aspects of your health.

That being said, how are you measuring how many calories you are eating now (food weighing scale, measuring cups, guessing)?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be trying to eat your full calorie allotment. This is necessary for getting all required nutrients, but also for preventing a whole host of nasty things associated with rapid weight loss/too big a deficit. With not much weight to lose, you should really only be aiming for 1 lb per week max weight loss. What do you currently have it set to?

I suspect you've fallen for the trap of replacing everything with 'diet foods', ie lots of low cal stuff, and that is why you are having trouble meeting your calorie goal. Include some more high cal, high nutrient foods - full fat dairy, nuts and nut butters, cheese, avocado, oils for cooking and salad, etc, and some treat foods in small amounts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its only Wednesday, does this mean you have eating like this for 3-4 days straight? Without being able to see your diary or know if you are logging accurately I am going to say yes since you have been eating like this most of the week.

The idea is to meet your 1350 calories not try to be under it, your calorie deficit is already set in the 1350. Eat something calorie dense to get them calories up!
  • sanish44
    sanish44 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone else before me has said, and I'd like to add this question: What time of day is your dinner or last meal? Are you eating heavy foods late in the day? If you're eating late in the evening, then yeah you won't have the time of day to eat the rest of your calories, nor will you be hungry enough to eat them before bedtime.

Maybe change your dairy settings to eat most of your calories in the morning and afternoon so you have time and energy to expend them. And eat your lightest meal and light snack at night/evening.

You can do this! Don't get discouraged!! Talk to your Dr. about your program/calories, workout types and eat more fruit/vegies/whole grains they have complex carbs and take longer to burn, so they ramp up your metabolism and will help you meet your calorie intake goals. Good luck to you MFP pal
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? If not, you might be eating more than you think. Use one for at least a couple of weeks to get an idea of how many cals you are really eating. Also double check the entries you are using in the database. Many have been entered incorrectly by other users.

Undereating is just as unhealthy as overeating, your body needs fuel and 800 cals is not enough. One day is no big deal, but it's not something that should be happening often.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    What has the past few days looked like for you?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale? If not, you might be eating more than you think. Use one for at least a couple of weeks to get an idea of how many cals you are really eating. Also double check the entries you are using in the database. Many have been entered incorrectly by other users.

Undereating is just as unhealthy as overeating, your body needs fuel and 800 cals is not enough. One day is no big deal, but it's not something that should be happening often.

The bolded.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How's your logging? Usually I see folks who are stuffed silly on extremely low calories aren't the most accurate at logging.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Double check that your food is being weighed and logged correctly. If you're not hungry and have energy there could be a chance that you're underestimating your calories. If everything is accurate and you're still under, then eat! I often find myself under my calorie goal and will make myself eat to reach it or close to it. I'll keep an eye out during the day. It usually gives me a good idea of where I'll fall and what I need for snacks.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try to at least reach 1100-1200 if you can. This happens to me pretty often because I'm on a medication that impacts my appetite. I weigh and measure everything but I find myself with about an extra 300-400 on average under my goal after dinner. MFP is a good reminder for me to eat and to reach my calorie goal or else it doesn't allow me to close out my diary. I would start by checking that you are logging everything correctly and to the best of your ability. If you are and you still find yourself with extra calories I would go for some cheese, a spoonful of peanut butter, hummus, avocado, ice cream, anything really that's calorie dense just to increase your intake. It seems like no biggie for a few days that you aren't meeting your goal but the negative impacts do catch up (I learned this from experience thanks to my medication!).
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If failing to meet calorie requirements is a rare occurrence (just a few days this this week but you have been meeting calories pretty closely for months) I wouldn't worry too much. You will probably be hungrier than normal over the coming days and use those extra calories to make up for it. If it is happening more regularly then you are undereating which isn't good, or you are eating more than you think you are.
  • elellis91
    elellis91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Thanks so much for all the comments. I am probably just not logging my food properly so will endeavour to be more specific in the future!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    elellis91 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Thanks so much for all the comments. I am probably just not logging my food properly so will endeavour to be more specific in the future!

If you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings we can spot potential logging errors.