I have a question for women who've had children....

Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
Let's talk about .........

Peeing when you work out. For me it's REALLY bad during high impact. I have to wear a pad. It sucks. I hate it. I often do the low impact version of Turbo Fire just so I don't have to use the gross pad. It used to happen while jogging too but thankfully it doesn't any more. Anyone know about the surgery? Consider it? Do I talk to my OB about it?

I've had 3 children vaginally and it's been 13 months since my last. We are done having children.

Replies

• I'm curious to see what responses you get because I have the same problem. I have to wear a pad whenever I run or any kind of high impact aerobics like you said. It's very annoying. I've read kegals help but I forget to do them.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Kegals and a pad. Until it tightens back up, your gonna pee a little. Its life, it happens, but Kegals are part of a workout. Try 30 kegals before a workout and 30 after.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Do you kegal? I had some issues similar issues after my daughter was born. I started being more diligent about remembering to do kegal exercises and it's improved a lot.

If you've tried the kegals with no result then yes I'd talk to your dr.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I had this issue (especially with jumping jacks and running in place) for about 16 months after my son was born. I did kegels like crazy, but I just seem to have grown out of it with fitness. I always do a work out pre-pee, and it seems for the most part to be under control.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Kegels, kegels, kegels! Seriously, doing them will help with that issue!
  • manit1117
    manit1117 Posts: 54 Member
    OMG...I thought I was the only one. So embarrassing! I am guilty and do not do Kegals but I think I will be from now on.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    i agree pelvic floor exercises- i think u call them kegels in the us. I had this issue early one, but my daughter is 2.5 and its soo much better now. will take some time
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 629 Member
    I have the same issue. I love to go for runs, but I don't dare go out too long cause I cannot control my bladder. It seems to be getting worse. You think even after 12 years of having my last child doing kegals will help?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Try the "Down There" For Women DVD in the Aligned and Well series by Katy Bowman. It is wonderful and easy to do. It explains why kegels aren't necessarily the best solution for women who have had kids and have incontinence, and gives exercises that do help.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    I would mention it to your DR. I had twins vaginally and every now and then while doing high impact, it feels like I need to go like whoa. And if I stop and try, it gets worse. You could also check out Kegel workouts, they may help a bit.
  • Talk to your doctor and go get the bladder suspension!!!!! It work miracles! I couldn't even sneeze before without an accident! And laugh.....forget it! Haven't had a problem since the surgery (and my son was 10 pounds!!!!)
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    I have had 5 kids, 2 over 8 pounds and 1 over 9, the last one when I was 45. I'm on gout meds which make me pee all the bloody time. I do my weights in the morning before drinking much of anything and after voiding my bladder. I have this issue during squats and deadlifts.

I've been slacking on Kegels. Make certain that when you do them you aren't contracting your glutes at all, instead initiate them from the front (psoas and transverse) I hadn't considered working them before and after. Going to start doing them and maybe (time is an issue) start before workouts.

*legs crossed* lol.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Oh yeah, and this isn't the urge to pee. This is leaking pee without any control over it, first thing in the morning, without drinking anything, after going pee and trying to completely empty your bladder upon waking, AND half way through the workout.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    I've had 3 c-sections with the most recent being about 12 months ago. This happens to me as well.. not only during exercise, but also if I jump lol.. not all the time, of course.. but it does happen. I would strongly suggest you do the pelvic floor exercises as faithfully as you would do any other exercise. Then, if it doesnt improve, I would speak with the OB.. I think there are things that can be done for this sort of thing if "home remedies" haven't helped any.

Best wishes!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    I've heard alot of women having this problem so i always made sure i did lots of pelvic floor (kegels) throughout and after each pregnancy and have never had a problem.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    I have the same problem, especially when I do jumping jacks! I just saw this on keeping up with the kardashians and her doctor said the same thing everyone on here has said, daily Kegals!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Google for exercises to strengthen you pelvic floor. Kegels are a good start, but there are a whole set of muscles deep within our abdomen that PG and birth put out of whack. (these muscles are the ones I had problems with when my back was out a couple years ago - left over from my young-aged birth complications).

I still do kegels like a lunatic. Loads and loads of them.. when I'm driving, working, watching TV, etc.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Only when I sneeze..... >.>