Gained fat while at calorie deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    FiTBIT most likely overestimating (especially if you are not doing steady state cardio). In addition, just a question? Do you weigh out your food or guesstimate? Also, it could be a stall / sodium....many different variables. My only advice would be get tighter in tracking your calories consumption vs. burning. Get a HRM with a chest strap and if you are doing any cardio with major spikes I would take the calories burned and subtract 100-150. Of course, this is my opinion, and what works for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    anewell28 wrote: »
    @RoxieDawn, I did that in October. I did the math old school, also compared it with two bod pods I did in September and October and found that the numbers are pretty consistent and correct within reason.

TDEE can be a moving target. Just keep trending your weight over periods of time, and adjust upwards or downwards as needed. Maintenance really should be given a +/- weight range (for me its 5 pounds).

eta: and factor in all the dietary changes you may make (more food, carbs, sodium, hydration needs up or down) and your monthly cycle as well, fluctuations for me are over many days (If a gain on the scale is up for more than 7 days I may react to that and make an adjustment in my calories) depending on the former factors I mentioned.
  • anewell28
    anewell28 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM i have a food scale and use it religiously
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    anewell28 wrote: »
    For what it is worth, when I started in August on MFP I weighed 158lbs and now I am between 144-148 right now.

so you've lost up to 10lbs since August, that is good progress. :smile: weight will fluctuate for lots of reasons, sodium being the most likely culprit but that is temporary (usually it sorts itself in a few days).
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    seriously? if the numbers posted above are correct, how do you figure you have been in a calorie deficit since Friday (6 whole days ago)??

It's perfectly possible to eat that amount and lose weight, I'm maintaining on 3000+ and lost 142lb eating between 2000 and 3000 (depending on my activity level)