Keto help

Options
WolfSpirit85
WolfSpirit85 Posts: 15 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m doing keto and can only have 20 carbs per day. I keep going over. Today I went over by 2 carbs and still have dinner. What can I eat that has no carbs?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In order to be in ketosis, most people need to be under about 50g. Those with metabolic issues like IR may need to go lower, like 20g, in order to stay in ketosis. More active people may be able to go higher if they time their carbs around exercise. I mention this because going over carbs once in a while by 10-20g is not really a problem for most. You could probably add a salad or a side of veggies with out going too high in carbs.

If you would rather not add carbs, have a meat and/or eggs dinner. There are almost no carbs in that. Best wishes.
  • HayloHorrible
    HayloHorrible Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day in months where I stayed under 20 net carbs! I mostly ate eggs with butter, cheese and pepperoni with spinach today..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you need to do keto? Why not just low carb?

I have low carbed, unintentionally due to maintaining certain fat and protein amounts in a deficit, but I couldn't ever put myself through the torture of keto level carbs as I love vegies too much.

If your diet is causing unnecessary stress, perhaps you need to adjust it.
  • sabern
    sabern Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Low carb (keto) diet is great to cure Diabetes.. It is also easy to stay on since most of your carbs come from Veggies.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have under 30g of carbs in my ketone diet, I feel under 20 would be hell. I started doing a meat then veg usually broccoli and cauliflower lunches and breakfast lettuce egg or cheese, I happy with that process and it works for me don't feel hungry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    In order to be in ketosis, most people need to be under about 50g. Those with metabolic issues like IR may need to go lower, like 20g, in order to stay in ketosis. More active people may be able to go higher if they time their carbs around exercise. I mention this because going over carbs once in a while by 10-20g is not really a problem for most. You could probably add a salad or a side of veggies with out going too high in carbs.

If you would rather not add carbs, have a meat and/or eggs dinner. There are almost no carbs in that. Best wishes.

@nvmomketo are you referring to total carbs or net carbs?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did keto for a bit and could never get below around 35 g net carbs, mostly because of vegetables (some nuts and avocado and dairy too). I didn't see why it mattered, and I was trying to get into ketosis because I was doing a personal experiment. I was able to be in ketosis at that level.

That said, almost no one (outside of people with specific medical conditions like epilepsy) need to be in ketosis, being under 50 g net will probably put you in ketosis but if not, it's still likely to provide the benefits of low carb if you are someone who experiences them (and a decent way to start).

However, if you are finding you are accidentally eating more carbs than expected, pre log. What is causing you to go over? Vegetables? (If so, I'd not advise you to cut back, personally.) Or are you adding in some higher carb foods?

Also, do you mean net or total. The 20 g carbs thing (which as you can see I think is unnecessarily low anyway) is net, not total.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

@nvmomketo are you referring to total carbs or net carbs?

Either really, but I tend to think in terms of total carbs. Someone using net carbs may want to go a bit lower. Or not.

The carb upper limits of ketosis are not a firm line and many don't understand that. Ketosis just means you are in ketosis the vast majority of the time. Someone who is low carb is probably in ketosis some of the time. People eating higher carb diets may be in ketosis sometimes too - mainly when fasting (like at night or not eating between meals for a few hours).

I tend to stick around 20g of total carbs a day because I feel good there. I have some insulin resistance and I know that I am not producing a lot of excess ketones at over 20g. I go higher sometimes, even up to 100g (or more if I got into some junk food) and some days I am at almost zero. Most days are somewhere around 20g though.

There is flexibility in those macros for weight loss. The key thing for that is eating at a deficit. Those in ketosis for health reasons may need to hit their macros more exactly.