I’ve hit a wall! Any advice would be great :)

Options
AshMGladue
AshMGladue Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I’ve been at this for a while now. I was losing quick in the beginning of course and I know it slows down and it did. But now I’m staying the same weight and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I eat 1200 calories, exercise every night , and drink nothing but water. I do have a problem going to the bathroom (TMI) and I’m thinking that could be the reason! Every morning I wake up I feel so empty and great but here lately I feel so bloated and blah! Anyone have any tips of what I can add to my diet? Maybe smoothies in the morning? I hear that can help but I’m not sure! Thanks in advanced :) it’s just discouraging when you are so motivated but not seeing results like you want too!

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    not enough information to do more than speculate, but regarding TMI, that's a result of a proper balance of fiber and fat. Too much or too little of one or the other will cause that problem.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck? If it's less than three weeks, waste and water retention could definitely be the issue. That time of the month brings several pounds for many women.

1200 calories is the minimum for women - unless you are very petite, obese and completely sedentary you should probably be eating more. Since you mention you are exercising, you should definitely be eating some of your exercise calories. But you do have to make sure you are logging accurately. 1200 calories of guesswork is usually way more than 1200, and it's also possible to overestimate calorie burns from exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (age, height, weight)? What rate of loss are you expecting to lose each week? Are you eating back exercise calories? How long has it been since you lost any weight?

As for constipation, are you low in dietary fat? What about your fiber intake? Are you staying hydrated?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    There really are no foods or timing of foods or tricks to losing weight other than to eat less than you use. If it’s been several weeks since you lost weight, the most likely reason is that you are eating at maintenance and need to lower your calorie intake or increase your usage. This would also indicate that you have probably been overestimating your intake and are eating more than 1200 calories a day, which is very common.
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    1200 calories is low, but I'm sure you will hear that over and over. Fiber pills would help.
  • AshMGladue
    Options
    I have a bad habit of not eating back my exercise calories!! I was wondering if that was the reason, that’s I’m not eating enough. I just went by he number MPF gave me. I’m 28, 5’2 and I’m at 149 right now! Yes it has been weeks since the scale has went down :( I do admit to having at least 3 freezer meals (weight watcher) a week which I know is also high in sodium but so darn convenient! I eat a fiber bar everyday also. Drink plenty of water. I pretty much consume the same thing daily. Eggs and turkey sausage every morning, either a salad with chicken or a weight watcher meal, fiber bar as snack and supper includes a grilled meat and two sides! Yea now that I’m writing it out doesn’t really sound like much but I don’t stay hungry. Body is probably used to it I guess? So I will add more to it and maybe my lunch needs to involve more food!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You might also try switching up your exercise a little, that often helps to bump me off a plateau. Your body gets used to one type of exercise and more efficient at it, and burns fewer calories. Don't go hog wild and double your cardio or anything like that! Just doing some shorter harder intervals or substituting a new type of activity for part of your current routine once in a while can be helpful. I'm probably going to get woo'd for this, and that's okay, but it is something that has helped me in the past.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You might also try switching up your exercise a little, that often helps to bump me off a plateau. Your body gets used to one type of exercise and more efficient at it, and burns fewer calories. Don't go hog wild and double your cardio or anything like that! Just doing some shorter harder intervals or substituting a new type of activity for part of your current routine once in a while can be helpful. I'm probably going to get woo'd for this, and that's okay, but it is something that has helped me in the past.

No, not really.

Running 5 miles in 1 hour at 150 lbs is going to burn the same amount of calories regardless how often you do it.
  • AshMGladue
    Options
    I def need a change of exercise for sure! Elliptical is my go to and then treadmill too. I pay for a gym membership but of course I only exercise with my machines at home, make sense right
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    "Not eating enough" (per your comment above) does NOT cause a stall in weight loss. How accurate are you as far as weighing and measuring your food? If you're truly eating 1200 cals. daily and not eating back at least some exercise calories then you'd be losing weight.

Changing workout routines helps with boredom and using different muscles, but it in itself won't cause weight loss.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    How long is have you've been counting cals?

How much have you lost since you started?

Not being able to go potty will definately impact the scales by several pounds so that alone could be masking any loss.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Always the same answer: 1) make sure you actually have weight to lose. 2) check your food logging. 3) review your intake plan. 4) consult a professional.

PS Other than the weight loss, you sound to be in great shape, so don't worry too much.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I def need a change of exercise for sure! Elliptical is my go to and then treadmill too. I pay for a gym membership but of course I only exercise with my machines at home, make sense right

even that is not necessary, if you enjoy doing the treadmill then keep on doing that.
    The most likely reason is your calorie intake and your macros (as in you might need more fibre to sort that loo issue) - are you using a food scale to weigh your foods etc so you know you aren't eating more than you think.

ps I'm 5ft 2 and much older at 48, I maintain 126-128lbs eating almost 2000 calories, to lose I would be able to eat 1500 calories and lose 1lb a week. I basically only exercise for 30 mins a day.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Your numbers aren't adding up. Something's off, but I promise you it's not that you're eating too little. Upping your calories will not help you lose more weight. Does that math even make sense to you? Regardless of what you've read or been told, math is still math.

Have you taken a diet break lately? You might consider doing that for many reasons. There's a great thread here called "Of refeeds and diet breaks" you might want to peruse.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    3kg5r7z4cgk6.jpg
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are. I stalled for several weeks and finally took a maintenance break. After that I started losing again although slower. What changed? I think taking a break works because you can eat a bit more and you quit sneaking a taste here and there. When you get back on track you are more committed. Also it shakes the body up a bit but I still don't buy the "eating too little causes your body to hold on to calories" thing.

One thing I have found throughout my journey is that you need to let off a little steam now and again without throwing in the towel and going back to old habits. We also need to recognize that as we lose weight our maintenance calories are reduced thus lowering the amount we lose each week. Be patient and track your loses. I was convinced I hadn't lost in months recently but when I went back and looked at my chart I could see a very slow decline in my average weight. Water weight happens every time you change meds or any other regular facet of your lifestyle. Even exercising can cause a water weight increase.

As for the constipation, I struggle with it too even though I usually drink about 10 cups of water a day so I use magnesium. I started out with 150 mg. I also take calcium to offset it. I have found probiotics seem to help keep things moving as well.

You must be meticulous in your logging. Remember what works for someone else may not work for you. My maintenance calories run between 1300 and 1400. Most people would say that is way too low but I'm short, old and relatively sedentary. I tried 1550 like MFP suggested for maintenance and I gained weight. You shouldn't go below 1200 but you can certainly increase activity to burn more. As you near goal weight you will find it is a much slower process and what worked before may not be quite as effective. Be patient and keep going. If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight.
  • AshMGladue
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Helpful chart! Thanks!! It has to be water retention and not going regularly!! Going to look up foods to help that!! I def don’t get over 1200 calories! Trust me I log every little thing haha I haven’t had one single cheat meal this whole time..that’s why I’m so confused and reached out for help, but i def have to change that weight watcher lunch meal to something else. I don’t think I’m getting enough of what I should now that I look at how pathetic my foods have been! & Now that I think about it when I first started I was constantly peeing from all the water I drink, and that has slowed down ALOT! So I’m sure that’s a factor also! And yes I’ve lost! 15 pounds so far :) Gonna keep hanging in there!!!
  • AshMGladue
    Options
    Just realized it’s been cutting my comments off and only posted like 1 sentence!! Just tried to go back and edit them :)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Keep your arms in front of your face, move away quickly, and pay attention to your footwork. Walls are slow, so it's easy to outrun them, but if they do get a hit on you,it REALLY hurts. Also, beware, walls are tricky. They act like they don't care, but then when you're least expecting it, sometimes even months or years later, BAM drywall to the head!