Hello fellow dieters!

Options
I will admit something here and now. I've had this app for months now. I would use it for a day or so, then forget, then two weeks later I might use it half of a day. Now I am taking my dieting seriously and I've come to realize that the most important thing is to be watching what I eat. I also feel better when I'm tracking what I eat. I sit there and I say "Do I really need that? You know, if you eat that, you have to log it!". It's a great motivator. Its really putting into perspective how many calories I must have eaten on a day to day. No wonder I'm so over weight!

My goal is to loose 15lbs in one month. I have over a hundred to loose in total. EEK! I know! I was seriously considering doing surgery for weight loss. I've been looking into it for a long time. I've decided that I could not go forward with surgery unless I really tried to eat right and work out and see how I do for a month with out cheating. If I can loose 15lbs in one month, then I will set a new goal for the next. If I stop loosing weight, I'll go back to looking into surgery. However, I really feel confident that I can do this. I can do this with out surgery. I think it will be much more rewarding to be able to do this on my own. I put it on myself, and now I will loose it myself!.

I would like to add people on here to have encouragement for those rough days, as well as helping others a long the way as well. I think that will be a important part of this whole process.

Good luck to everyone! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon! Welcome to the group!

I am aiming to lose 2 lbs/week (week 4 now) and so far I'm doing ok, thanks to the App, the friends I've made on here and the message boards. I have WELL OVER 100+ lbs to lose so I'm on board with you. I'm 28 with three children and a newly diagnosed diabetic husband. Feel free to add me as a friend, I've send you a request. We can keep each other on track!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Welcome. Add me if you'd like. 2011 is a start to getting healthy. Everyone helps others. Glad that you are here. :-)
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! Welcome!!
    I'm right there with ya..I have about 80 lbs that I would like to lose. You're right on when you say it's very important to watch what you eat. Tracking is everything!!! I'm glad to hear that you want to try and lose without surgery. A few years ago my friend and I sat in on a informational meeting of sorts on bariatric surgery. After it was over we both walked out of it and said "NEVER!" The things that they go through...I think it's worse than trying to lose it naturally.
    You'll love this site and the people in it!! Don't get discouraged if you don't lose 15 lbs in the first month. It's seems a bit high..but very well may be doable. They say 1-2 lbs per week is the average rate. Not trying to bust your balloon or anything..just don't want you to be frustrated. This of course, is all my opinion. :O)

Feel free to add me, if you like. You can do this!!!

Hugs!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I wish you much success, but first of all this is not a diet, it is a change of lifestyle and the way we look at and think of food and exercise. I think Goals are great, but sometimes we set goals that are unrealistic to our efforts and we don't reach them. That is ok, because we are still making progress and making changes. What has helped me so much is the positive feedback from friends on the site and the constant encouragement that we all give to one another.

I don't have as much to lose as you do, but due to my age and the fact that my metabolism had pretty much shut down, losing one pound is a great accomplishment to me!. I know that I am getting stronger and have a lot more energy than I used to. There are many other ways to measure your success than the scale. Also, It took me many years of a few pounds here and there to gain the weight, so i know it will take a lot of work and effort to reach my final goals.

Be kind to yourself when setting expectations, keep up with it and use all of the resources that this site has to offer, especially the friends:-)
  • danilight
    Options
    I'll be 29 in just a few weeks (aug 28th) and have a very active 17 month old daughter. I was gestational diabetic. It's only now that she's getting a bit older do I feel like I have the energy to diet. Also, she has more energy then anything I've ever seen and if I'm going to keep up with her, I need to shed to weight!

Thanks for the add! :)
  • danilight
    Options
    15 is a high number, I agree. And I don't plan on being able to loose that amount every month. Due to how over weight I am and the amount of calories I would consume normally, it should be achievable this first four weeks. Currently the tracker has me at loosing 20lbs in five weeks. I'll be happy to loose 4lb. Any step in the "Loss" direction is good for me :) Thanks for all the kind words!
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started using the app today. I've been logging everything by writing it down and putting on a spreadsheet for just a couple of days longer. I wanted to track sodium, protein, carbs, etc. This app is a great help to at least keep me thinking and it has so many foods listed already! :-) I LOVE the bar scan option. :-)

Anyway, hello to you, too! I wish us ALL the best!

lulu
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I wish you much success, but first of all this is not a diet, it is a change of lifestyle and the way we look at and think of food and exercise. I think Goals are great, but sometimes we set goals that are unrealistic to our efforts and we don't reach them. That is ok, because we are still making progress and making changes. What has helped me so much is the positive feedback from friends on the site and the constant encouragement that we all give to one another.

I totally agree with this post. Of course she is also one of my new best friends on MFP. Never knew her before we both joined this site. But she is so correct. This isn't a diet. You have to be willing to commit to making the changes in your life to complete this journey. You are going to have great days but you are going to have days where you just want to throw in the towel. The new friends you meet on here are going to cheer you on in those good days but they are also going to be there for you on those bad days.

Set mini goals for yourself if you want to. I do. But I am not going to give up if I don't reach them. It took me almost a year to hit my first mini goal I set for myself. (I started my weight loss journey before I joined this site) Now I have new mini goals on here. I had over a hundred lbs to lose when I got serious, I still have a lot of those left, but with the tracking of my food and exercise I have learned all the things I was doing wrong when I "dieted" Now I have changed my way of thinking and eating, and I have stopped thinking surgery was the only way for me to lose the weight.

Give this a chance..long term chance. Not just a couple weeks, and I am sure you will see yourself in a new light and in a new journey that will last you a life time, no more "Die eating"