Metabolism Boosters

Options
Does anyone have any foods, exercises, etc that can boost metabolism? Appreciate the feedback!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Muscle will increase your metabolism...
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eating every 2-3 hours helps to keep your metabolic rate revved up.
  • chicorac
    chicorac Posts: 34
    Options
    BUMP

I'd like to know also.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i need a metabolism boost to
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Apparently drinking iced water helps a little, as well as eating little and often rather than a few big meals. x
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good question, I agree with the eating every 2 to 3 hours helps and I just started taking Acetyl L-Carnitine, to also help with my sluggish metabolism. This is a post that I will follow, thanks for asking.
  • BerryAnd
    Options
    Fill bathtub with cold water

Add 20-40 lbs ice

Add body for 20 min
    0-5min: legs only (kneeling)
    5-15min: Sitting with chest and back submerged, arms out of water
    15-20min: Arms in

*Have someone watch you for signs of hypothermia.
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    Fill bathtub with cold water

Add 20-40 lbs ice

Add body for 20 min
    0-5min: legs only (kneeling)
    5-15min: Sitting with chest and back submerged, arms out of water
    15-20min: Arms in

*Have someone watch you for signs of hypothermia.

Is this a joke?
  • Yessikalee
    Options
    Coffee and green tea are great metabolism boosters--just make sure to cut out the cream and sugar. Also, spicy foods are good for that as well (jalepenos, curry, cayene, red peppers, and tabasco).

As for the exercise, if you exercise less intensely it will actually help speed up your metabolism. The more intense workouts go for the more easily metabolized foods first---carbs. Carbs are quickly turned into energy. To burn fat you need to exercise more often and less intensely. A good thing to do is go for a walk in the morning, nothing too strenuous, but enough to get your body going.

Hope that helps. =]
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Chilli boosts your metabolism for a short time.
    Green tea too is good.
    Any food high in fibre, iron and calcium.
    Drinking water helps keep your metabolism going.
    Regular exercise, it doesn't matter what just aslong as you do it.
    A good sleep pattern will regulate your metabolism.

I'm not an expert but these are the things I have tried so far.
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    Any update with the aminocarnitine?
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The principle behind the cold water is probably to increase the amount of brown fat, which is highly metabolically active. It generates heat in cold environments. Submersion in cold water is supposed to help make more of it so that you burn more calories. /shrug. It's probably easier to work on maintaining or building muscle mass, which also burns calories all the time. If you live in Alaska and like taking dips in the icy ocean, then more power to you.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of protein to help spare muscle mass while losing weight. Doing weight training helps a lot too.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article.... 17 Cheap Ways to Jumpstart your Metabolism:

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2010/08/16/17-ways-to-jumpstart-your-metabolism

:drinker:

Ice
  • jojogoslow
    jojogoslow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I took acetyl-carnitine for several months once, and i don't think it did anything except drain my wallet. There's no magic solution sadly, you just have to do the work.
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    The principle behind the cold water is probably to increase the amount of brown fat, which is highly metabolically active. It generates heat in cold environments. Submersion in cold water is supposed to help make more of it so that you burn more calories. /shrug. It's probably easier to work on maintaining or building muscle mass, which also burns calories all the time. If you live in Alaska and like taking dips in the icy ocean, then more power to you.

Makes sense. Infants have a lot of brown fat to protect them from hypothermia/hypoglycemia. In adults it deposits into skeletal muscle but its still present. I wouldnt risk being hypothermic though just to "boost" my metabolism. Very dangerous if you don't know what youre doing. I think a lot more research needs to be done before people start preaching these things.
    Here's a great article.... 17 Cheap Ways to Jumpstart your Metabolism:

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2010/08/16/17-ways-to-jumpstart-your-metabolism

drinker

Ice

Love this. :drinker: