Trainer really must be talking rubbish? Help please

Options
So I put on 26lbs in 12 weeks from eating everything in sight and reverting back to drinking real coke.

So today my trainer says " you can lose that 26lbs by Xmas as your doing 3 Zumba classes a week plus 2 aqua aerobics plus 3 x 30 min PT sessions plus 1200 cals a day. (1200 is what i do when on diet) but I think he is being ridiculous! How on earth could I lose that so fast! ??

Replies

• Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    It's not a good idea to lose that much that fast but yeah it's possible. And it'll be miserable. But that's a little more than 2 pounds a week. Why does your trainer have you doing so much cardio ?
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    It's not a good idea to lose that much that fast but yeah it's possible. And it'll be miserable. But that's a little more than 2 pounds a week. Why does your trainer have you doing so much cardio ?

So she can lose 26lbs in four weeks, that's why. This sounds awful.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I think the trainer is wanting her to lose +20 lbs by Christmas. Not in 12 weeks.

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    No way!! That would be incredibly fast! In my experience you could potentially lose probably 10 pounds, which would be mostly water weight coming off, if you cleaned up your diet. I would really question what he is thinking!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    That's terrible "advice". I'd ask to see your trainers credentials and background, if you haven't already, just to be safe because who knows if what they tell you regarding workouts and form is wrong, too?

You said you put on the 26 lbs in 12 weeks so count on at least that amount of time to lose it.
  • TaorminaCK
    TaorminaCK Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's very demotivating and I just can't see how it could be possible
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your stats here's some estimations..
    You would need to lose (over) 6.5 lbs per week.. (But for easiest maths we'll say 6.5)- that's a 3250 calorie deficit per day, which means your TDEE would need to be 4450 if you're eating 1200 calories.

If it were possible for you to do that (it almost certainly is not), I surely would not recommend it.
    I can't imagine you would have much energy eating 1200 cals and trying to do all that exercise, and I can't imagine that would be enough exercise to achieve a 4450 TDEE, unless you are very over weight. (You'd probably need to run a marathon to burn that many calories per day, or weigh like 500 lbs..?)

Anyway, real answer.... Some of that is likely water weight that will go away once you start eating normally.
    I would probably look into the reason you have been 'eating everything' and gaining 2+ lbs per week for several months, and get that under control, before I would do an extreme crash diet to try to lose all the weight. That's a good way to rebound and gain it all back, and then some.
  • TaorminaCK
    TaorminaCK Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look at the bright side; at least you know your trainer is not worth the money. You really just saved yourself money for next year.

Hmmmm I just dunno
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    26 lbs would be about a lb a day. Not possible. Not healthy. Don't take nutritional advice from a trainer. Speak to a registered dietician.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    TaorminaCK wrote: »

It's possible, that doesn't mean it's a good idea, or even reasonable to attempt.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options

You were smart enough to hear BS, ask if it was BS, and then receive confirmation that you are in fact being fed BS. Count yourself lucky that you didn't spend one more penny on this .. trainer!

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So I put on 26lbs in 12 weeks from eating everything in sight and reverting back to drinking real coke.

So today my trainer says " you can lose that 26lbs by Xmas as your doing 3 Zumba classes a week plus 2 aqua aerobics plus 3 x 30 min PT sessions plus 1200 cals a day. (1200 is what i do when on diet) but I think he is being ridiculous! How on earth could I lose that so fast! ??

How much do you pay per session, and how much of that goes to the trainer.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

It's NOT possible (your health would suffer and you wouldn't maintain the loss) so just forget they ever said it. No sense letting some ridiculous comment demotivate you! You just keep on track and set small goals along the way.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Did said trainer tell you amputation was involved? lol So glad you are not gonna listen to any of that.