Tired of gym fees?

Options
13»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym last year, cost and enjoyment being my main motivators, gym was always busy, waiting around for equipment, etc. I have a nice little set up at home now, work through Youtube videos (HASFIT, BodyCoach, etc), I run outside and walk to/from work for my cardio and do some yoga before bed.

It has Pros and Cons,
    • I don't have all the equipment I would have at the gym available, but I have enough to get a good workout. I can add things as I go.
    • I have the luxury of a big space in my living room, if I move at any point I might have to reconsider.
    • I don't have to motivate myself to go back out on an evening it's all there at home.
    • Now that I have been doing this for over a year, it's now cost effective, I initially invested about £200 in weights, mats, resistance bands, etc, I add the odd piece of equipment now and again, like some extra weight plates, but that is maybe £30 1-2 times per year compared to the £35 per month I was paying for the gym and rarely using it.

Do you have any youtube recommendations for weights? I'm a runner, so cardio is covered, but I just find myself having no motivation with weights lately. I need something to inspire me to want to do those workouts again.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I quit the gym last year, cost and enjoyment being my main motivators, gym was always busy, waiting around for equipment, etc. I have a nice little set up at home now, work through Youtube videos (HASFIT, BodyCoach, etc), I run outside and walk to/from work for my cardio and do some yoga before bed.

It has Pros and Cons,
    • I don't have all the equipment I would have at the gym available, but I have enough to get a good workout. I can add things as I go.
    • I have the luxury of a big space in my living room, if I move at any point I might have to reconsider.
    • I don't have to motivate myself to go back out on an evening it's all there at home.
    • Now that I have been doing this for over a year, it's now cost effective, I initially invested about £200 in weights, mats, resistance bands, etc, I add the odd piece of equipment now and again, like some extra weight plates, but that is maybe £30 1-2 times per year compared to the £35 per month I was paying for the gym and rarely using it.

Do you have any youtube recommendations for weights? I'm a runner, so cardio is covered, but I just find myself having no motivation with weights lately. I need something to inspire me to want to do those workouts again.

As a runner, kicking someone's *kitten* on an uphill (when they are usually a much faster runner) is always pretty good inspiration to keep up those deadlifts. ;)
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    Not me, I like to pay them.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hate the fees, but really like the gym. But since their place would suck if there were no employees, upkeep, equipment and such, I suppose paying fees is a part of life, lol. It's much easier to stay motivated and actually work if I have a specific place to do it, and no way I could afford or have space for more than the really cheap rower I have nat home.
    I've been to a few places, but the one I go to now is really nice. MUCH nicer tbam any others I've deakt with, for the price I(as ling as you wait fora good salle, lol). Indoor/outdoor pools, massage vhaies, hot tub, therapy pool, 30 min circuit, and seperate areas for power users and a "no judment" area, (although I have never seen anyone give attitude) another room for free weights, another for "core" work, a couple areas for stretvhing and calithenics, tons of classes and massage chairs, tv's and wifi for $20 a month. And since there are a ton of other gyms in our area, they recently switched to no contract and have always been no hassle when you need to quit (which I had to do for a while when I changed jobs and couldn't afford luxeries), and stopped charging extra for "vip" status for towels, massage, and various other add-ons.
    And it's clean and pleasant!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't paid for gym fees in 30 years and have learned to love the gym atmosphere. There are a lot of acquaintances in the gym that'd I'd likely never meet any other time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For me it was a matter of prioritizing. Spending money on a gym membership now has a higher priority than the extra cable tv packages and ording pizza frequently. Not spending any more money a month, just spending it healthier.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I also quit due to the cost. My gym made some major overhauls, which would make most people say "Yay! New equipment! New workout areas! Same price!", but it actually had the opposite effect for me. I found I was waiting longer for equipment, the trainers started bringing their clients all over the gym instead of sticking to certain areas like they used to, and more people meant more kids in the childcare area and my kid getting sick every other week. I was paying to basically cut my workouts short because I didn't have time to wait around, or to sit at home with my sick child.

Now I'm back at home and trying to figure out a workout plan that I like. I have a bad case of "I'm bored with that workout" at the moment.

Similar here. I was going to the Y but it is small here and i was the only one going and dropping my daughter off at the childcare so I had to pay the family rate of $78/month. I also got tired of the production of getting ready and going then coming home and showering which took longer. I also always felt lost in knowing what to do there. Lift some weights, cardio machines bore me after 15 minutes. Now I workout at home with Fitness Blender workouts. It takes me less than an hour and I can wear my ugliest sweats and my baby is happier at home and I can easily pause the workout if she needs something. I bought power blocks for $150 and a yoga mat. I have no desire to become "built" and needing more then power blocks to lift. You can buy cheap equipment on Craigslist too. I do like to swim occasionally but then I just pay the daily $10 fee or drive further where I have access to a free gym/pool at the military base. (No childcare which is why I don't go there)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I could never give up my gyms! There is no way I could get the same experience at home or the variety of equipment. I currently rotate between two. One for boot camp style classes and boxing and one for strictly weightlifting. The small group classes are a fraction of what I would pay for personal training. And I love the friendships I have made.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to get in a good workout on my Pilates Reformer machine which is a 1 minute commute. I love it!

Reformer rocks!

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love going to the gym. It's not only working out for me, it's my mental escape. I can't be interrupted at the gym to be told someone can't find socks.
    But I also go to the gym very early in the morning when it's not crowded. I would hate it if I went at 6pm when it's super crowded and a meat market
  • slimyslimgym
    slimyslimgym Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym but mine has a pool and kids are free. Swimming is my favorite activity so I can take my 2 year old with me to exercise AND have fun. I am never, ever, ever dragging *kitten* to get to the gym now that I go for swimming.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home! I have a gym membership I've been meaning to cancel. The gym is good for when I'm traveling since I can go to any branch but I definitely prefer my Beachbody on Demand. So many workouts to choose from and when I'm done, I'm already home!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Gyms are good.
    Home gyms are good.
    It's all good.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    All depends on the individual. Wife refuses to work out unless it's in a gym. I workout at home, unless I'm with a PT. Whatever works.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Gym fees are nothing compared to the cost of illness and being out of shape. You might save a good chunk of cash each month, but you'll probably wind up paying more down the road.

This is why going for a dirt cheap gym usually isn't a sound investment. I understand the appeal of the so-called "judgment free" gyms (which are actually pretty judgmental, for reasons that have been discussed before). It's still possible to get a decent workout there, but their silly rules, limited equipment, and misinformation will generally be a hindrance. It's worth the extra money to go someplace where you can get better results, especially if you're out of shape.