Bored with breakfast!

Options
I need suggestions for breakfast, usually I eat an egg white omelet with a piece of toast or some cottage cheese. I've been trying to keep low fat and low carb, so as much as I want a big fat bagel with cream cheese, it's just not going to happen. :laugh:
Any suggestions for an easy but interesting breakfast would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    throw down some turkey bacon.. it's pretty good!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yoghurt and fruit, maybe mix a bit of oats/muesli in if your carbs will take it.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been doing Dannon Light and Fit strawberry yogurt with 1/4 cup of Grape Nuts and two teaspoons of flax seed. I also eat egg whites with a piece of whole wheat toast and some sugar free apricot jam.
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    I usually have either a fiber one bar (the 140cal ones keep me full pretty long) or, when I worked out I'll treat myself with an egg on an english muffin (high fiber), which is pretty low cal, maybe with some cheese

How about cereal? Fiber one has some tasty flavors
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner for breakfast. No one said breakfast had to be a staple set of usual food.

Like mangoes and shrimp paste.
  • gfergus1
    gfergus1 Posts: 17
    Options
    My favorite thing to eat for breakfast is a low fat whole grain frozen waffle (I like the Kashi 7 Grain or Eggo Nutri-Grain) with one tablespoon reduced fat peanut butter and about 1/2 tablespoon of jam - less than 200 calories :)
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Fruit Smoothies!!!

100ish grams of Strawberries
    1 medium banana (130grams)
    3 ounces of Chobani Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
    4 ounces of Coconut Milk, Almond Milk, Non Fat Milk....

YUM! This makes like 16 ounces of smoothie and it's about 275 calories and 4 grams of fat (depending on the "milk" you choose). For lower carb, sub in something other than a banana :)
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been having an egg frittata that I just love...

1/2 cup of chopped broccoli
    1/2 of medium onion

sautee onion (use pan spray) for about 5 minutes then add broccoli in a frying pan

2 eggs and one egg white
    1/4 cottage cheese

Mix the eggs and cottage cheese together then pour over the broccoli and onion mixture and roll the pan to even the egg mix out. Turn the oven on broil and once the bottom has cooked put the pan in the oven to cook the top.

Sometimes I throw just a little bit of shredded cheese on top before it goes in the oven.
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options
    I like muffin tops. so big and so yummy.

I like the way the just bust out of the package!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I like to have a big protein shake first thing in the morning...
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Cant go wrong with sausage
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Have a lean porkchop with spinach,

Try a breakfast shake or smoothie

A nice piece of grilled white fish with grilled tomatoes is also fantastic.
  • wendibartel
    Options
    If you are sometimes doing the piece of toast why not sub that for a bagel thin with a little laughing cow cheese?

I am on a high fiber diet and really enjoy Kashi's Cinnamin harvest cereal.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    How about your egg white in a tortilla with cheese and salsa? Or Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of nuts?
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup all the way! You can make it for pennies if you make your own chicken stock (which is probably the single best thing I've done for my health and my cooking). Here's how I do it, but the sky's the limit:

bring some chicken stock to the boil (I use a little more than 1 cup)
    add flavorings - sea salt, black pepper, fresh ginger, crushed red peppers, garlic, scallions, etc. - whatever you feel like!
    thicken with some cornstarch/flour/arrowroot powder if desired
    beat an egg and slowly drizzle it into the simmering broth. whisk while you add it, and the egg becomes a million beautiful pieces!

It's easy (done in 10 minutes tops), cheap, delicious, and nutritious - one little known fact about good quality stock/broth is that it contains lots of gelatin. Gelatin contains essential amino acids, but isn't a complete protein by itself. However, it acts as a "protein sparer," meaning that your body can more easily assimilate complete proteins when you eat them along with some gelatin. Soup is peasant food for a reason - it's cheap and nutritive. Anyway, I haven't met anyone who doesn't like this soup. And if you're feeling hungrier than usual, throw some extra stuff in there - corn, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, whatever strikes your fancy.
  • iwillbeoneday
    iwillbeoneday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee's Delight 45 Cal Whole Wheat Bread
    1 TBSP Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
    1/2 Banana sliced
    Light drizzle of honey on top

PERFECTION

Also, take one of the Sara Lee's WW bread, dip it in egg whites and put on stove to make a healthy french toast. If you like maple syrup, drizzle with SUGAR FREE maple syrup and add some cinnamon and blueberries. Absolutely delicious.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do better throughout the day when i go low carb for breakfast...so i usually have cottage cheese mixed with fat free plain yogurt, 2 tbsp. of PB2, cinnamon and sugar free maple syrup....might sound weird but tastes sooo good! for some crunch throw in a handful of fiber one or allbran. A low carb tortilla with egg white and avocado is another go to for me!
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a corn tortilla with egg whites and salsa :)
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Posted this on another thread - and this is always a great subject, you can never have enough breakfast ideas in my book!

I make a batch of "egg muffins" on Sundays. These are totally terrific for "on the go" breakfast - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work! You can also throw 1 or 2 onto a whole wheat tortilla with a slice of cheese - yum!

You can vary this and use ingredients you like, but here's my take on 'em... Just as a side note, I like hard-boiled eggs for a snack in the afternoon too, so I make these with less egg yolks so as not to go over my personal limit of 2 yolks per day. (just my personal choice).

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

Chopped onion (I prefer the red/purple onion), garlic, red bell pepper, cooked broccoli and/or spinach (usually both!), "fake" sausage (I like Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - I use 4 patties, they are small). I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following: 4 whole eggs, 1 1/2 cups "All Whites" (carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs), 10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk.

Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until eggs are cooked through, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. Just before I take 'em out I put the broiler on for 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

Yum!

:drinker:

Ice
  • missismonty
    missismonty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A bowl of porridge topped with fresh blueberries! Keeps you full until lunchtime ;-)