Preparing for the bar, and dieting is not suppose to go toge

Options
I am preparing to sit for our State's (Louisiana) bar exam, and it is in less than a month, but I have been dieting as well and it is hard. I want to snack everytime I start a new subject!!! Fortunately, I have not fallen off, thanks to this website!. I log my meals on my phone, and keep going.

That is my introduction, I know, not the fanciest, but that is me. Please ask my to be a friend, as I need all the support in the world to change my lifestyle.

Replies

• sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I hope you do well on your bar. :)
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am confident that this site will change your life, and I wish you great success. I know that if you have what it takes to make it through law school this will be just fine! I am already down almost 30 pounds thanks largely to MFP (I lost about 9 before joining). This is my first time being successful, and I know you can do it too!
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is preparing to sit for our state's Bar in a few weeks too... (I think he's down to 2 1/2 weeks now?!) He's sitting in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and honestly, the stress that I feel from him studying like a maniac has been making dieting a little bit harder too! He is a super healthy eater.. but he tends to smoke a TON of cigars when he's stressed out. He has mild ADD too, so that doesn't really help things either!! Add me as a friend, and we can gripe about the studying together... don't fall off the wagon - you can do it and so can i!! <3 Lots of love from Boston
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just took the California bar. I was actually doing really well staying on my diet plan until bout 2 weeks before the exam. EVERYTHING was stressing me out, including calorie counting. So I down graded my plan from 1 pound loss per week to .5 and basically maintained at that level. THEN during the bar I went NUTS. I ate pizza and beer and ice cream and nachos and any comfort/junk food I could get my hands on just to get through the grueling 3 day exam we have here in CA.

I gained a few pounds and have been better about dieting but am still up. I'm sure it'll come back off it's just frustrating! Especially since I made it all the way to July continuing to do well!
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    First of all good luck with the bar exam....that is grueling but very exciting Good for you to continue to log your meals on this site.....I found during stressful times that I had a tendency to go a little nuts with over eating and eating all the wrong foods. This site will definitely help with making you very aware of what you are eating and help with figuring out a well balanced diet while keeping a check on your calorie intake. Feel free to add me as a friend for the support and motivation. All the best to you.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My neighbor just finished taking the bar and said that the studying was spirit-crushing, but the actual test wasn't that bad; I'll be there in two years! All I know is that I tend to eat a fairly clean vegan diet, so I generally feel pretty good, but during finals this spring, and a couple of weeks before while studying, my diet (as in what I eat every day, not as in restriction) went downhill - fewer veggies, more processed foods. Then I felt like crap.

Lesson re-learned: during stressful times it is even more important to stay on track with healthy eating, to keep my mind clear and my body feeling good. Good luck!

(Maybe try keeping a bowl of fresh veggies and low-cal fruit nearby to snack on. Studies have shown that when a person is doing something like watching television or reading they tend to eat without thinking. If a bowl of veggies and fruit is within reach, maybe you'll automatically snack on that.)