what to eat before and after a run

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Sorry but for those saying c25k doesn't require anything different or extra???? really?

some people will get side stitches if they eat before they run or walk.
    some people don't
    some get sick to their stomache
    some don't
    some need to go...go
    some don't

so to the OP...I did C25k...I found if I had a small serving of fruit or yogurt or even a slice of toast at least 60mins before my workout it was great...

I can't eat before a run...period...

find out what works for you really.

I mean, if someone finds personally that eating or not eating ends up in a better exercise session for them, they should implement that. But there are no special fueling needs for a C25K program (as opposed to say, more prolonged endurance exercise). That's all I meant by my comment in this thread.

Yes you were clear on that others were not.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Sorry but for those saying c25k doesn't require anything different or extra???? really?

some people will get side stitches if they eat before they run or walk.
    some people don't
    some get sick to their stomache
    some don't
    some need to go...go
    some don't

so to the OP...I did C25k...I found if I had a small serving of fruit or yogurt or even a slice of toast at least 60mins before my workout it was great...

I can't eat before a run...period...

find out what works for you really.

People have all kinds of preferences. That doesn't change the fact that

the Couch to 5k program doesn't impose any special or unique dietary needs on its followers. Really.

and it doesn't change the fact that isn't what was asked. No where in the OP is "special or unique dietary needs" even suggested.

The question was what and when do I eat before...and the answer is "what works best for you"

not

c25k isn't hard enough for you to even wonder and that is a paraphrase of some of the answers I was addressing.
    Sorry but for those saying c25k doesn't require anything different or extra???? really?.

There is no physiological need to consume anything before or after. Before, it won't have been digested until several hours have elapsed. You're talking about c200-400 calories, so not really any need to compensate immediately afterwards, just build it into the daily intake.

If it's taking 90-120 minutes per session, then there might be some merit.

Fueling, and recovery, isn't necessary until HM distance, and for a conditioned runner not even then.

see above.

Not the question...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    see above.

Not the question...

Reread the question...

should

There is no need is an entirely reasonable response. Notwithstanding that I wasn't responding to the original post, I suspect that adding a little value to explain nothing specific was perhaps a little more useful than whatever you like...
  • SezxyStef
    edited November 2017
    Options
    see above.

Not the question...

Reread the question...

should

There is no need is an entirely reasonable response. Notwithstanding that I wasn't responding to the original post, I suspect that adding a little value to explain nothing specific was perhaps a little more useful than whatever you like...

I read and answered the actual question asked...

with a response that covered it quite nicely thank you.

no where did I say it was needed I said it was up to the person as it is very individual.

for whatever reason some people decided to go into the minutia of the fact c25k isn't a marathon...no kidding...but some people don't do well without some form of food a bit before exercise and some like to eat after..it's a personal thing.

So for people to say no special dietary needs are required or change nothing are those that can't see the forest for the trees.

no c25k isn't that taxing but the OP may require something different than what they are doing now and it's up to them to figure it out and maybe try what others do, not be told

"oh it's not that important cause it's not that hard of a workout". and that is basically what is being said.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I always used to run better when I fuelled up beforehand (usually with eggs and wholewheat toast). I ran from 3 to 5 miles at a time. I also would have needed a snack an hour or so after running as I was famished again (a spoonful of peanut butter and half a banana). Listen to your body's needs, everyone is different so do what works best for you.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I always ate protein bars as they won't cause any upset stomach from the activity.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't have a heavy meal...

If I run in the afternoon (my usual) I just have my normal lunch and run a couple of hours after that.

If I run first thing in the morning I might eat half a banana or a couple Clif Bloks just so that I have a little bit of sugar in me. If it's my long run (6-14 miles) then I will usually have a mini bagel with a bit of jam.

Water, for me, is far more important than food--it's a fine line between being sufficiently hydrated and running with a full bladder.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Decide when you are going to run. If first thing in the morning, experiment with running before breakfast (which is what I normally do if running no more than 10 miles). This is also something that usually gets easier as you try it, but working up to it with C25K should work. However, if you are someone who likes to eat really soon after you get up, it might not work, so try something with fast carbs and easy on the stomach (for you) -- I find a banana works great, and so does yogurt or even a glass of milk (back when I used to drink milk). But dairy is really easy for me to digest, obviously some would want to avoid it. If I have a bit more time before the run (up early before a half marathon, for example), I enjoy oats with some berries or the banana. Some find it easy to go out right away, some find -- and this is more for running than the walking bits -- that it can upset the stomach or make you feel sluggish to eat right before a run. I'd normally wait a while if eating a real breakfast, even something like a smoothie -- anything with more than about 100 cal.

If you run at some other time, usually your meals during the day are sufficient fuel. I eat lunch at noon and sometimes run home from work (about 6-7 miles) and will do that at 7 or after without eating first. Then I eat dinner when I get home. For the morning runs I have my normal breakfast after.

^^^^THIS

It depends. You'll have to figure it out and work it out, just like hydration needs. if you're a new runner, there's really no reason to worry about fueling until you're doing hard/pace training, which you shouldn't be thinking about until you're continuously running 30-45 minutes at least 3 days a week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MrSith wrote: »
    I always ate protein bars as they won't cause any upset stomach from the activity.

For some people this is true. I find that eating a protein bar or anything dense before a run usually results in me getting a side stitch.
  • OuchArtist
    OuchArtist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Beets: decrease the oxygen cost of exercise meaning more time before fatigue, also increase blood flow to your muscles, since the first time I tried them, every workout is not at full intensity without them, that's how much of a noticable difference it makes.
    Coffee: you can 2-3 tablespoons of coffee and drink it cold with some water, even drink the solids and don't leave anything left behind xD, do this one only once in a week, since coffee tolerance develops too fast.. extreme focus once a week is better than nothing.
    Cream Of Tartar + Salt: add these 2 ingredients into a bottle of water, and drink during your workout, because training drains your sodium and potassium stores.. these 2 minerals are determinal for your performance.
    Empty Stomach: sometimes, some of your best workouts, are achieved on an empty stomach, as simple as that.
    Mint Oil: having a tiny bottle of mint oil in hand, maybe sniffing it, or maybe having a drop on your tongue may do the trick, it improves oxygen inhalation, it has an effect on motivation.. males beware of overdosing on this one, there are reports about testosterone lowering side effects with this herb.
    Quality Sleep: YES.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    see above.

Not the question...

Reread the question...

should

I read and answered the actual question asked...

with a response that covered it quite nicely thank you.

no where did I say it was needed I said it was up to the person as it is very individual.

for whatever reason some people decided to go into the minutia of the fact c25k isn't a marathon...no kidding...but some people don't do well without some form of food a bit before exercise and some like to eat after..it's a personal thing.

So for people to say no special dietary needs are required or change nothing are those that can't see the forest for the trees.

no c25k isn't that taxing but the OP may require something different than what they are doing now and it's up to them to figure it out and maybe try what others do, not be told

"oh it's not that important cause it's not that hard of a workout". and that is basically what is being said.

To me the key word was should. That meant advice rather than bland platitudes.

It's not an unusual question in the local C25K coaching group, people do read stuff that suggests they should be carb loading and nonsense like that. The coaching team always try to explain, and given that the coaches are all experienced marathon and ultra runners is generally from the perspective of why we'd fuel for a marathon and replenish after a longer run.

What I would say is, that the directive advice would normally be, that as long as one has no specific needs and eat an adequate calorie intake, try to avoid eating before a session in order to improve adaptation.