Going from Bulk to Cut after Injury?

Options
Hi all,

I was on a bulk an Stronglifts 5x5 when I broke some ribs playing soccer, which forced me to take a break. Not being able to workout, I cut my Calorie intake back drastically, and am noticing myself getting leaner, which made me wonder if I haven't started out right. I assumed that in order to get a great physique, I should bulk first, then cut. However, this article: ironbuiltfitness.com/bulk-or-cut-first makes a good point about cutting first and then bulking.
If I were to follow that idea, what would be a good routine to go with?

Stats: 6ft, 180lbs, probably 20-22% bodyfat.

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Definitely cut first. As a woman, I only bulk when I'm under 18%, and as a guy you should definitely be lower.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont do physique, but just want to point out that stronglifts isn't a physique/body building program. Its a beginner strength program and not designed for body building. Regardless whether you bulk or cut first, find a good body building program .
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Optimally you want to be near 15% body fat to bulk; and SL is not an optimal bulking program. You want a higher rep/hypertrophy program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • UncelDolan09
    UncelDolan09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i dont do physique, but just want to point out that stronglifts isn't a physique/body building program. Its a beginner strength program and not designed for body building. Regardless whether you bulk or cut first, find a good body building program .
    Well so here was my logic (maybe it’s flawed): do stronglifts until I hit at least 225 on each exercise, then switch do a different routine. I felt like nailing the strength part first would make body building routines more effective.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At 6 ft and 180 lbs and as a beginner lifter, I would have suggested eating at maintenance until you really stalled out on lifts rather than cutting or bulking. 180 is not that heavy at that height and just lifting could have made a great amount of difference in your physique. A lot of beginner strength gains are neuromuscular not due to actual muscle being built. If you have some excess fat to burn it doesn't make sense to me to eat extra during that time period.
  • UncelDolan09
    UncelDolan09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    At 6 ft and 180 lbs and as a beginner lifter, I would have suggested eating at maintenance until you really stalled out on lifts rather than cutting or bulking. 180 is not that heavy at that height and just lifting could have made a great amount of difference in your physique. A lot of beginner strength gains are neuromuscular not due to actual muscle being built. If you have some excess fat to burn it doesn't make sense to me to eat extra during that time period.

That sounds good. I will pick it up again once I’m healthy, and will eat maintenance until I’m stalling.