Women with PCOS

Options
2»

Replies

• agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any opinions on this? Can PCOS be cured by losing weight?

I'm not sure if it can be 'cured' per se. But I didn't get my period for the past 5-6 years due to PCOS. I just got it Sunday, after having lost 12 lbs. I'm not sure how it would work for everyone. But losing some weight has seemed to work for me. I never thought it actually would.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've spent 10 years trying to convience my doctors that I have PCOS, Insulin resistance, or some other form of hormonal inbalance. I've not had much luck. I finally got started on Metformin only because I now have Type 2 diabeties. That is what has pushed me to finally change my lifestyle.
    Together we can beat this, get healty and achieve our goals!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I have the worst case of PCOS a few doctors have seen! The only 2 symptoms I have yet to achieve are balding and Acne! GO TEAM!! Add me!!

i went through menopause at age 27 because of pcos. it definitely can get worse.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

pcos can never be cured, but losing weight will help reduce the symptoms.
  • abbysmommy1
    abbysmommy1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too! I have had symptoms since my teen years, but was officially diagnosed in June. Feel free to add me cysters!
  • bearsfan2334
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. Anyone who needs a cheery friend - feel free to add me :)
  • divainprogress2012
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS about 3 yrs ago. I have EVERY SYMPTOM seem like, excessive hair growth, TERRIBLE dandruff, acne around my nose, weight gain and abnormal periods. I wanted a child soooo bad so my OB tried to do everything he could to help me conceive and to help my cycle get back reg. I had got so aggravated to the point I just wanted my cycle to just come on like normal ppl. But that didnt work. So we came to a conclusion to just send me to a fertility dr and I went to them for about 5 months straight. The Fertility Dr talked to me and asked did I want to go through a one day surgery called Laparoscopic Ovarian Drilling and what that surgery did was regulated my cycle and I also conceived 7 months after having the procedure done. Now I have a handsome BAD baby boy LOL!! He is my joy though and I wouldnt trade him for nothing in the world. God has blessed us in so many ways!! Now I am tryna work the weight off BEFORE I had him because all my baby weight is actually gone. But feel free to add me as a friend so we can motivate and support each other!!!
  • nothereanymore
    Options

PCOS has no cure but you can control it, even get rid of all your symptoms or most of them anyway, by losing weight. If losing weight was the cure then PCOS would not be an issue for so many women. Yeah I have read a few articles on some women who have claimed to have cured their PCOS because they lost all their excess weight and then they were not suffering from any of the symptoms anymore but if they were to go off their very well plan diet and exercise then they would start to suffer from the symptoms again.
    I have a friend that did that. She lost 120 lbs and a her doctor said they could find any signs, her medical test were all good. So she relax just a little and I mean she had a treat day once a week and cut back her exercise to 1hr 4 days a week instead of 1 hr in the morning and hr at night 6 days a week (wish I could fit that into my schedule). After slacking just a bit she started missing her cycle again and acne started to come back and she didn't even gain any weight!

And my doctor didn't even recommend weight loss as and option for me, he just went straight to the surgery (ovarian drilling). I haven't even tried any fertility drugs yet.

Sorry if this bursts anybodies bubbles but PCOS can be controlled to a point but cannot be cured!
  • TrufflePig
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18, and I've been struggling with my weight ever since. I'm here for support!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but maybe I can contribute something anyway - I read a blog called "Nourished Kitchen," and the author posted a few months ago about her struggle with PCOS, hypothyroidism, and Celiac disease. She changed her diet and lifestyle, and was able to conceive a healthy son who's now five (I think). The post is about the kinds of foods that she's found luck with. Hopefully it's helpful for women who might be in the same boat! Anyway, here's the link: http://nourishedkitchen.com/my-story-recovery-from-celiac-disease-pcos-and-autoimmune-thyroid-disease/
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was told by my reproductive endo back when I got pregnant with my twins, that your body "resets" with every 10% of weight loss. I haven't gone off the pill to try and see if a 20lb weight loss has done anything though. I was diagnosed at 15, no period, hair growth (always fun), acne. I don't get cysts, or none that I know of and I'm not IR, but its super easy for me to gain weight and hard to lose it.
  • dcg8r
    dcg8r Posts: 38
    Options
    I was diagnosed with "possible PCOS" - my hormones were crazy, my left ovary is 2-3x as big as it's supposed to be, there are cysts and a very large one on my left ovary that ruptured and had me in a lot of pain for a few days. I don't know what "possible PCOS" means or what else they need to be able to fully diagnose, but I do not have extreme weight problems, acne, or some of the more severe symptoms. I still ovulate and was able to conceive, but had a m/c at 7 weeks. It is frustrating, and I have been worried for so long (because of the 'possible pcos' diagnosis) that I would not be able to have kids, ever.

Feel free to friend me :) We're all in this together.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ..... It is frustrating, and I have been worried for so long (because of the 'possible pcos' diagnosis) that I would not be able to have kids, ever.

Feel free to friend me :) We're all in this together.

As a nursery nurse I see lots, LOTS of women with PCOS having healthy babies. Please don' t let the diagnosis, or almost diagnosis shatter you dreams of a family. You already know you can conceive. Don't lose hope. In some cases even the smallest weight loss (7%) can help elivate PCOS syptoms. Keep working on getting healthy and you will have your family before you know it.
  • lauraallover
    lauraallover Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    PCOS here too. And thanks for the Nourished Kitchen link tf1170!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    PCOS - Cyster here.
    Feel free to add me. I've been through the testing, treatments, fertility medications in order to conceive my daughter 6 years ago. I lost weight and got pregnant on my own .. a complete surprise since we assumed I needed meds to get pregnant.

For me, weight loss really helped with my fertility and I have this site to thank for that.
  • crazyfool82
    crazyfool82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PCOS here and still struggling with the weight =(