Confused

Options
I have been on a personal journey to better myself for the last 10 months. I started out by quitting smoking cold turkey and allowed myself to indulge for 4 months, during that time I had gained 15 pounds. I thought no big deal, I can lose it easy, just cut out sodas, eat right and exercise. Well that isn't working out the way I thought it would. What I am confused about is what calories intake I should have to lose weight, I started out going by what mpf suggested which was 1510, and I gained weight, so I went to the other extreme at 1200, started to lose but on 3 lbs. I slacked off for a week on working out (because of soreness and injury)and gained those 3 lbs back. I recently got a gearfit and it indicates that my bmr is 1360. I am soo confused as to where I should be with my intake, I want my weight loss to be healthy and sustainable, in other words I want to do it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Current weight is 147
Goal weight is 120
Height 4'11"
Age 35

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Calorie counting works if you apply honest logging and patience. Rapid ups and down is always water weight. BMR is not TDEE.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    How long were you at 1510, out of curiousity? It's usually good to give it about a month to account for the usual fluctuations to see if it's working for you or not. And depending on the weight gain amount that could have been a fluctuation too - retained water from a new workout, time of the month, high sodium, that sort of thing. Also your logging especially when you have so little to go has to be super precise. 3lbs can be a normal fluctuation.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Log honestly, all food, all nibbles all liquids. Weigh solids, measure fluids. Include oils, butters etc. It is easy to underestimate food. Give it 4-6 weeks to determine if the weight loss is at the rate desired. if not restablish. The MFP recommendation has always been pretty spot on for me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It's likely that when you were "eating 1510 and gaining" that you were actually eating more. If you make your food diary public we can give more specific feedback.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Taking things at face value, my suspicion is...

You weren't logging/tracking your intake accurately enough. Gaining at 1500 cals but losing 3lbs/week at 1200 cals... that doesn't make sense.

- OR -

You didn't give yourself enough time at either 1500 cals or 1200 cals to really know what was happening. Some day-to-day weight fluctuation is normal and to be expected.

- OR -

Some combination of both.

I'd suggest going back to 1500 cals per day if that's what MFP recommended for you, log as consistently, completely, and accurately as you can for a minimum of 2 weeks (4 weeks would be better), then evaluate. Expect the first couple of months to be mostly a learning process as you figure out your numbers and where you need to be to see reasonable results. After that, it's all about the process and patience.
  • ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works if you apply honest logging and patience. Rapid ups and down is always water weight. BMR is not TDEE.

I do log honestly because I would just be lying to myself, I recently purchased a food scale for the last month I have been weighing my food. And I apologize but I don't know what TDEE is.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    TDEE is Total daily energy expenditure
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Go here http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/ and calculate what you should be eating. Log (and weigh) everything you eat. The website can explain all of the TDEE/BMR stuff too. Then come back here to log and track. You can do this, just calculate and stay with it.
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    How long were you at 1510, out of curiousity? It's usually good to give it about a month to account for the usual fluctuations to see if it's working for you or not. And depending on the weight gain amount that could have been a fluctuation too - retained water from a new workout, time of the month, high sodium, that sort of thing. Also your logging especially when you have so little to go has to be super precise. 3lbs can be a normal fluctuation.

Roughly 2 months. Only losing 3 lbs in 9 months is not normal fluctuations in my opinion. Then again I am very uneducated on this subject but I am trying to learn.
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    Log honestly, all food, all nibbles all liquids. Weigh solids, measure fluids. Include oils, butters etc. It is easy to underestimate food. Give it 4-6 weeks to determine if the weight loss is at the rate desired. if not restablish. The MFP recommendation has always been pretty spot on for me.

I finally was able to afford a food scale and I have started weighing everything for the last 2 months, I even take my scale to work, and I only allow myself 1 cup of coffee a day, the rest is water only. I dont know if its normal or extreme, but if I eat a banana I weigh before I peel and then weigh the peel after I eat to get the gram difference so I can input the exact amount I consumed.
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Taking things at face value, my suspicion is...

You weren't logging/tracking your intake accurately enough. Gaining at 1500 cals but losing 3lbs/week at 1200 cals... that doesn't make sense.

- OR -

You didn't give yourself enough time at either 1500 cals or 1200 cals to really know what was happening. Some day-to-day weight fluctuation is normal and to be expected.

- OR -

Some combination of both.

I'd suggest going back to 1500 cals per day if that's what MFP recommended for you, log as consistently, completely, and accurately as you can for a minimum of 2 weeks (4 weeks would be better), then evaluate. Expect the first couple of months to be mostly a learning process as you figure out your numbers and where you need to be to see reasonable results. After that, it's all about the process and patience.

The 3 lb weight loss was a span of 6 months or so, with many fluctuations in between. It certainly was not over the course of a week. Sorry I did not make that clear enough. Every time I have adjusted my calorie intake it has been for a month or two. I suppose I will give mpf's suggestion another try. I suppose they know a lot more than I do on this subject.
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    TDEE is Total daily energy expenditure

Okay, thank you. I just wasn't sure if my bmr was a good calorie intake, and everything else would be considered a bonus burn.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    So you've been logging as accurately as possible except for the food scale, which you've purchased recently and I assume have/will start using. Your numbers/results are all over the course of a couple of months. Those are both good things.

What are you doing with exercise calories? MFP gives you 1500 cals per day as your goal, right? Do you log exercise separately? If so, do you eat back those calories?

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Let's start with your BMR. This site http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/#result shows you at 1407.
    So let's say your BMR is 1400. That is the calories you need to maintain your current weight if you don't move from your bed. Basically if you were in a coma.

But you don't stay in bed. You get up, go to work, shop etc. Depending on how much activity you do, you add to your BMR to get your NEAT. MFP does this by having you select an activity level. I'll assume sedentary and add 20% (I never remember if it is 20 or 25%). That gives a NEAT of 1680.

MFP then looks at the rate of loss you put in. 1 lb per week is a 500 calorie deficit. 250 for a 1/2 lb. This is the range you should be shooting for (as opposed to 2 lb per week). So MFP should give you 1430 for a 1/2 lb loss and 1180 for 1 lb loss EXCEPT THAT MFP WILL NOT LET YOU GO LOWER THAN 1200 so if you try to go too low to fast, MFP will give you 1200.

This is before any exercise you do. If you exercise, eat back most of the calories burned. This is the MFP method.

I see someone mentioned TDEE. This is your NEAT plus calories burned from exercise, so everything in one pot idea. If you exercise regularly and can predict your calorie burn from your exercise accurately, then TDEE makes sense. I don't exercise regularly so I use NEAT plus eating exercise calories.

Now, let us know your activity level and what numbers you put into MFP to get the 1510 number. I suspect it's close and the issue is logging accuracy and not giving it enough time. And open your diary and people can see what you are eating (as far as calories go).
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    So you've been logging as accurately as possible except for the food scale, which you've purchased recently and I assume have/will start using. Your numbers/results are all over the course of a couple of months. Those are both good things.

What are you doing with exercise calories? MFP gives you 1500 cals per day as your goal, right? Do you log exercise separately? If so, do you eat back those calories?

I try not to eat exercise calories back, of course if I eat what mpf says I should then some days I don't burn that many and other days I go over. to get my exercise calories I take what my gear fit says I burned total for the day, and subtract my bmr from that number. I have only had this gearfit for a short time, but it has proven itself to be a useful tool. I quickly learned I couldn't go off of what my elliptical says.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I try not to eat exercise calories back, of course if I eat what mpf says I should then some days I don't burn that many and other days I go over. to get my exercise calories I take what my gear fit says I burned total for the day, and subtract my bmr from that number. I have only had this gearfit for a short time, but it has proven itself to be a useful tool. I quickly learned I couldn't go off of what my elliptical says.

Don't know the Gear Fit, but this doesn't sound right. Sounds like you are counting part of your NEAT as exercise calories, and that would be double counting them from the MFP perspective.
  • ShortRound82
    Options

Don't know the Gear Fit, but this doesn't sound right. Sounds like you are counting part of your NEAT as exercise calories, and that would be double counting them from the MFP perspective.

Sorry don't k ow what NEAT stands for
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    I do apologize I am extremely busy at work today, and when I can I respond with a novel, then I press done instead of post reply, and I lose everything that I just wrote, it's very frustrating and I apologize if the frustration is coming across in my writing, I will do my best to respond to any questions. My confusion is how many calories I should be eating, I know I am logging accurately and honestly.

Almost did it again by the way
  • jjpptt2
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I do apologize I am extremely busy at work today, and when I can I respond with a novel, then I press done instead of post reply, and I lose everything that I just wrote, it's very frustrating and I apologize if the frustration is coming across in my writing, I will do my best to respond to any questions. My confusion is how many calories I should be eating, I know I am logging accurately and honestly.

Almost did it again by the way
    The bolded part doesn't make sense when put together with what you said ealier:

I have been on a personal journey to better myself for the last 10 months. I started out by quitting smoking cold turkey and allowed myself to indulge for 4 months, during that time I had gained 15 pounds. I thought no big deal, I can lose it easy, just cut out sodas, eat right and exercise. Well that isn't working out the way I thought it would. What I am confused about is what calories intake I should have to lose weight, I started out going by what mpf suggested which was 1510, and I gained weight, so I went to the other extreme at 1200, started to lose but on 3 lbs. I slacked off for a week on working out (because of soreness and injury)and gained those 3 lbs back. I recently got a gearfit and it indicates that my bmr is 1360. I am soo confused as to where I should be with my intake, I want my weight loss to be healthy and sustainable, in other words I want to do it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Current weight is 147
    Goal weight is 120
    Height 4'11"
    Age 35
    If you're logging accurately and honestly, 300 cals per day shouldn't be the difference between losing 3lbs/week and gaining. Or am I misunderstanding? When you say "lose but on 3lbs".. what do you mean? Did you lose 3lbs/week? a month? 9 months?

The difference between 1510 cals per day and 1200 per day could very well account for the difference between a very very slow gain and a very very slow loss (3lbs in 9 months).
  • jjpptt2
    Options

I finally was able to afford a food scale and I have started weighing everything for the last 2 months, I even take my scale to work, and I only allow myself 1 cup of coffee a day, the rest is water only. I dont know if its normal or extreme, but if I eat a banana I weigh before I peel and then weigh the peel after I eat to get the gram difference so I can input the exact amount I consumed.

Let's go back to this post... you've been weighing foods for 2 months, right? And in that time you still feel like you've been logging accurately and honestly? If so, what kind of progress have you made, and what has your average daily intake been over that time?