Leg machines

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Of the common leg machines, is there a difference in which muscles are worked more, or other machine-specific benefits? In particular I have in mind:
Leg press
Hack squat
Leg sled
Smith machine (squat)

I am well aware that a lot of people here don't like leg machines, and their reasons. I'm not here to debate that, so please don't start. ;)

I'm just interested to know more about the differences/similarities among these machines. Hopefully everyone can accept that.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Of the common leg machines, is there a difference in which muscles are worked more, or other machine-specific benefits? In particular I have in mind:
    Leg press
    Hack squat
    Leg sled
    Smith machine

I am well aware that a lot of people here don't like leg machines, and their reasons. I'm not here to debate that, so please don't start. ;)

I'm just interested to know more about the differences/similarities among these machines. Hopefully everyone can accept that.

For the sake of discussion, I think It's probably a good idea to post links or photos of the exact machines being discussed.

I've seen a half dozen different/slightly different machines that were identified alternately as Leg press/leg sled.

I assume for Hack Squat you're talking about a smith machine variant that's closer to a standing leg sled. Because Hack is also a free weight squat variant.

To answer your question, as far as muscle/strength, they're ultimately pretty close to the same thing, with the Smith being simultaneously best and worst, because it's got the broadest range of motion, and the worst weight path.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the brand of machine, and its settings. But generally speaking, the larger the angle at the hip joint, the more the quads are worked, the smaller the angle, the more the glutes are involved. Just like with freeweight squats. :+1:
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are some differences in which leg muscles are worked-some work your quads more, others your hamstrings and glutes. And the Smith machine will work different muscles depending on what you're using it for.

Personally I only use leg machines as accessory work, so I do leg press for extra quad and hamstring curls for my hamstrings.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    61x%2BAwy4f4S._SL1000_.jpg

For sake of discussion.

Leg sled would have you on your back, Hack would have your head between the upper pads.

• questionfear
    Options
    You know, out of the context of a gym floor, that thing looks like a torture device.
  • lorrpb
    edited December 2017
    Options
    61x%2BAwy4f4S._SL1000_.jpg

For sake of discussion.

Leg sled would have you on your back, Hack would have your head between the upper pads.

Yes, but in my gym it's 2 different machines.

I'll l try to post specific pics later.
  • stanmann571
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

For sake of discussion.

Yes, but in my gym it's 2 different machines.

I would point out, that on a commercial machine vs a home style as above, the foot plate/floor will be larger, and thus allow for more variability in foot placement and thus better ability to hit different muscle groups by adjusting "stance"

Practically speaking, sled press is closer to a low back squat and hack is closer to a front squat, in terms of the motion.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My old gym had presses where everything kind of changed angles (the foot pad had an hinge, as did the part where you put the weights). Seemed like a more natural range of movement than a sled that only moves up and down on one plane.

Something like this:
    MDP-2001-Leverage-Leg-Press-500x700.jpg
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hack squats target the lower thigh around the knee area.

Some people can't do them because it bothers their knees. Go light at first. They do put more stress on your knees a bit but it might not bother you.

Leg press and sleds develop the thighs more like free weight squats without involving the back. The leverage of the machine can make the poundages used a bit over the top.

Smith is like a free weight squat but locks you into a fixed plane of motion.

All these machines are useful and no reason not to use them with common sense. A good approach might be to use one machine for a month or two and then switch to a different one.

• questionfear
    Options
    I would just suggest if you have knee issues, be very aware of your body if you use the smith machine. I have a deep distrust of the smith machine because anything that alters/locks in my position while squatting is generally bad for my knee (acl and meniscus tears in the past).

On the other hand, I can barbell squat 165lbs, so it's purely a case of the smith machine being too unnatural for me. Then again, I also can't run on the treadmill without pain for similar reasons but can run outside...so the answer is basically to experiment and see what fits best for you.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You need to experiment for yourself and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If something is hurting where it shouldn’t or feels unnatural, STOP. These machines can all be great when used safely and properly, bit can also cause serious injury when not used safely. Different people will also find that they can use these machines differently. For example, I never use the smith machine because the path of motion bothers my back and my bad knee. But others swear by it and use it safely :smile:
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Some people can't do them because it bothers their knees. Go light at first. They do put more stress on your knees a bit but it might not bother you.

Leg press and sleds develop the thighs more like free weight squats without involving the back. The leverage of the machine can make the poundages used a bit over the top.

All these machines are useful and no reason not to use them with common sense. A good approach might be to use one machine for a month or two and then switch to a different one.

You can't target part of a muscle fiber. When contracting a muscle you contract the whole fiber from one insertion to the other. However you can target your inner and outer thighs, because the heads of your quads (Vastus lateralis and Vastus medialis in this case) insert at different locations on your femur.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    UPDATE TO OP:
    Here are images of the machines I am asking about and what they are called at my gym. My question is what are the differences in how each machine works the leg muscles? IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THEM, can you get the same benefit with any machine or is there a reason to use different ones?

(I am well aware that a lot of people here don't like leg machines, and their reasons. I'm not here to debate that, so please don't start.)

Thank you for the replies so far and for any more insight you can share based on these specifics.

LEG PRESS-selectorized
    5468w1147u54.png

LEG SLED-plate loaded
    nbpn23ijp5sq.png

HACK SQUAT-plate loaded
    86y774w3d4aw.png

SMITH MACHINE SQUAT-plate loaded
    f6u7g8krf5s3.png
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

You can't target part of a muscle fiber. When contracting a muscle you contract the whole fiber from one insertion to the other. However you can target your inner and outer thighs, because the heads of your quads (Vastus lateralis and Vastus medialis in this case) insert at different locations on your femur.

Lower thigh around the knee area contains the muscles you just described.

I guess you are arguing semantics.

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Lower thigh around the knee area contains the muscles you just described.

I guess you are arguing semantics.

I'm not. They still run the entire length of your thigh. It's like saying you can target your inner chest or target the peak of your biceps by using "insert exercise here". You can't target only part of a muscle head.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest difference between machines is the degree to which they aggravate or accommodate my various spinal and knee injuries. Vertical compression and working angles make the difference.

With your leg sled or leg press machines I could isolate my back to a degree and take the weight up to the limit of my knee injuries (when it goes going bone on bone). Using a Smith machine would hit my back injury limit before my knee limit due to the vertical load.

I'm not into the snobbery around machines versus free weights. If if works for you then it works for you, if it hurts then it doesn't work for you.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    For me the biggest difference between machines is the degree to which they aggravate or accommodate my various spinal and knee injuries. Vertical compression and working angles make the difference.

With your leg sled or leg press machines I could isolate my back to a degree and take the weight up to the limit of my knee injuries (when it goes going bone on bone). Using a Smith machine would hit my back injury limit before my knee limit due to the vertical load.

I'm not into the snobbery around machines versus free weights. If if works for you then it works for you, if it hurts then it doesn't work for you.

Thank you. So it's not that one is more glutes and another more quads?
    I'm sorry for your injuries but glad you've found ways to work with them..
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    " So it's not that one is more glutes and another more quads?"

That's really down to the angles and ROM.

I see loads of people doing squats (bodyweight, TRX, Smith Machine, barbell, dumbbell) and the striking thing is the good form (or sadly more frequently the opposite) of the people doing the exercise rather than the equipment used.

Is a barbell squat with great form and ROM the ultimate? Yes probably.
    Would good form using a machine be better than a quarter squat with appalling form using a barbell and inappropriate weight? Yes probably.

• BryanHoffman74
    BryanHoffman74 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What is a good upper body work out machine
  • lorrpb
    Options
    What is a good upper body work out machine

Please start another thread on this topic. Thx