Confused

Options
2»

Replies

• ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I do apologize I am extremely busy at work today, and when I can I respond with a novel, then I press done instead of post reply, and I lose everything that I just wrote, it's very frustrating and I apologize if the frustration is coming across in my writing, I will do my best to respond to any questions. My confusion is how many calories I should be eating, I know I am logging accurately and honestly.

Almost did it again by the way
    The bolded part doesn't make sense when put together with what you said ealier:

I have been on a personal journey to better myself for the last 10 months. I started out by quitting smoking cold turkey and allowed myself to indulge for 4 months, during that time I had gained 15 pounds. I thought no big deal, I can lose it easy, just cut out sodas, eat right and exercise. Well that isn't working out the way I thought it would. What I am confused about is what calories intake I should have to lose weight, I started out going by what mpf suggested which was 1510, and I gained weight, so I went to the other extreme at 1200, started to lose but on 3 lbs. I slacked off for a week on working out (because of soreness and injury)and gained those 3 lbs back. I recently got a gearfit and it indicates that my bmr is 1360. I am soo confused as to where I should be with my intake, I want my weight loss to be healthy and sustainable, in other words I want to do it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Current weight is 147
    Goal weight is 120
    Height 4'11"
    Age 35
    If you're logging accurately and honestly, 300 cals per day shouldn't be the difference between losing 3lbs/week and gaining. Or am I misunderstanding? When you say "lose but on 3lbs".. what do you mean? Did you lose 3lbs/week? a month? 9 months?

The difference between 1510 cals per day and 1200 per day could very well account for the difference between a very very slow gain and a very very slow loss (3lbs in 9 months).

It was 3 lbs lost over the course of 9 months, then in 1 week of slacking off of exercise, I gained it back, so technically I haven't lost anything
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    The real question and the only thing I am confused about is how many calories should I be eating to lose weight, is it what mpf suggests at 1510, or is it my bmr at 1360?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Sorry don't k ow what NEAT stands for

NEAT is non-exercise activity thermicsomething. It's the number of calories burned in a normal day before exercise and is the basis for MFP's calculations. You BMR plus your normal activity. So if you are deducting your BMR from what your watch says and counting it as exercise, MFP will have added 20% (or 25%, I really need to look that up) to give you your normal daily calories and you have also counted that as your exercise. So it is double counted if you are using MFP the way it is designed.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I do apologize I am extremely busy at work today, and when I can I respond with a novel, then I press done instead of post reply, and I lose everything that I just wrote, it's very frustrating and I apologize if the frustration is coming across in my writing, I will do my best to respond to any questions. My confusion is how many calories I should be eating, I know I am logging accurately and honestly.

I have been on a personal journey to better myself for the last 10 months. I started out by quitting smoking cold turkey and allowed myself to indulge for 4 months, during that time I had gained 15 pounds. I thought no big deal, I can lose it easy, just cut out sodas, eat right and exercise. Well that isn't working out the way I thought it would. What I am confused about is what calories intake I should have to lose weight, I started out going by what mpf suggested which was 1510, and I gained weight, so I went to the other extreme at 1200, started to lose but on 3 lbs. I slacked off for a week on working out (because of soreness and injury)and gained those 3 lbs back. I recently got a gearfit and it indicates that my bmr is 1360. I am soo confused as to where I should be with my intake, I want my weight loss to be healthy and sustainable, in other words I want to do it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Current weight is 147
    Goal weight is 120
    Height 4'11"
    Age 35
    If you're logging accurately and honestly, 300 cals per day shouldn't be the difference between losing 3lbs/week and gaining. Or am I misunderstanding? When you say "lose but on 3lbs".. what do you mean? Did you lose 3lbs/week? a month? 9 months?

The difference between 1510 cals per day and 1200 per day could very well account for the difference between a very very slow gain and a very very slow loss (3lbs in 9 months).

It was 3 lbs lost over the course of 9 months, then in 1 week of slacking off of exercise, I gained it back, so technically I haven't lost anything

You gained back water weight in the week. Doubtful you ate 10,000 calories over maintenance. Give it more time and stick to the program.

• ShortRound82
    Options

Sorry don't k ow what NEAT stands for

NEAT is non-exercise activity thermicsomething. It's the number of calories burned in a normal day before exercise and is the basis for MFP's calculations. You BMR plus your normal activity. So if you are deducting your BMR from what your watch says and counting it as exercise, MFP will have added 20% (or 25%, I really need to look that up) to give you your normal daily calories and you have also counted that as your exercise. So it is double counted if you are using MFP the way it is designed.

I only calculate it the next day, because I don't know my total calories burned until the next day, which means that any increase does not matter, it is for my info only
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    nevermind... see my next post.
  • ShortRound82
    Options
    The real question and the only thing I am confused about is how many calories should I be eating to lose weight, is it what mpf suggests at 1510, or is it my bmr at 1360?

Start with MFP. Do that for a month, then evaluate.

Thank you
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Current weight is 147
    Goal weight is 120
    Height 4'11"
    Age 35

Ah, ok. That's where I misunderstood. 1200 cals per day, with honest and accurate logging, led to 3lbs lost in 9 months?

If 1500 cals per day (MFP's recommendation) led to you gaining weight, and 1200 cals per day had you losing 3lbs in 9 months, I'd use your BMR number as your goal for a month. Do that consistently (while weighing/measuring your foods) and see what kind of progress you make.

Sorry for all the back-and-forthing.
  • ShortRound82
    Options

Current weight is 147
    Goal weight is 120
    Height 4'11"
    Age 35

Ah, ok. That's where I misunderstood. 1200 cals per day, with honest and accurate logging, led to 3lbs lost in 9 months?

If 1500 cals per day (MFP's recommendation) led to you gaining weight, and 1200 cals per day had you losing 3lbs in 9 months, I'd use your BMR number as your goal for a month. Do that consistently (while weighing/measuring your foods) and see what kind of progress you make.

Sorry for all the back-and-forthing.

It's no biggie, I have always had a hard time trying to say what I want to say clearly.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OP, you are all over the place with your info. You say you lost that three pounds over 6 months and then also over 9 months. You said you have used a food scale for a month and two months.

You are not being honest with yourself or us.

I think I remember you posting back in the summer, the same type of thing. This is not going to work if you are not going to be honest with yourself and properly log. Also, at 4’11”, your daily calorie intake can be as low as 1200. I am 5’6” and my maintenance calories are around 1750 (not counting additional exercise). Being so small, you are going to have to be very rigorous with tracking, you don’t have much room for error