Does your heart rate highly increase when sick with a cold?

Options
Ninebubblewaters
Ninebubblewaters Posts: 27 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a cold and my heart rate has been elevated. Sometimes it is like this when not sick, but worse now. Curious if others have this issue. At rest my heart is usually 60-75 now while sick it's 75-85

When just standing or light walking it goes up to 120 and stays around 100-120. When I walk up the stairs it shoots up to 140!

I feel like this is a chest cold so maybe it's causing that?

I do have a cardiologist and he told. Me to get an echocardiogram if it doesn't settle.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Ninebubblewaters
    Options
    LOL!!! Ive been scared to exercise because of how fast my heart has been. Ugh! Cant wait to get back at it though!!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Yep. When I'm sick or starting to get sick, my heart rate is elevated and my breathing becomes labored more quickly.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen, too! When I went back and looked at my HR data, (FitBit Charge HR2), I could see my HR increasing for several days (3) before the first cold symptoms started, and HR peaked around day 3-4 of being sick (likely a respiratory virus, I was told by my Dr.), slowly returned to baseline, but it took in total about 14 days or so for it to return to normal from when when I suppose I was exposed to it. And yes- I felt like walking and going up stairs was sooo hard/tiring (then looked at my HR!).
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Your cold medicine can also raise your heart rate, depending on which kind you are taking.

• Ninebubblewaters
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies! I feel a lot less worried now. It is interesting you mentioned that CTcutie, because I noticed my symptoms a few days before the cold as well.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Yes. My resting HR increased when I had a stomach virus for a week. It's pretty cool that this previously pretty invisible symptom is now easy to monitor with current tools.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    blood also gets surprisingly sludgey when you're even mildly dehydrated, in my experience as a blood donor. so if that's a factor with you being sick, your heart could be having to work harder to keep it moving around.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Mine does, especially if I am having trouble breathing. According to my Dr., trouble breathing means less oxygen in your systen, so your heart starts pumping harder to try and get more oxygen.
  • Ninebubblewaters
    Options
    Makes a lot of sense!