Zoloft and weight loss/gain question?

Options
I just got prescribed Zoloft for general anxiety and panic attacks, and I'm pretty worried about weight gain. I feel like I've heard a lot of stories about significant weight gain while on the drug. Can anyone confirm this or provide any additional info on it? Like I said I'm pretty worried about it, and if it does indeed cause weight gain, will my normal dieting and exercise help to counteract that?

Thanks!

Replies

• msickles14
    Options
    Hey there Smallest Goal. I am currently on Zoloft as well, 50 mg's a day. I have gained about 5 lbs in the last 3 months, however it is not due to the Zoloft. I have been on Zoloft for almost a year. When I started taking it I saw no weight gain or loss, I stayed pretty much the same as I was before. I cannot speak for everyone; this is just my experience. Good luck and I hope the Zoloft works for you!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My experience with anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds is that I blew up like a balloon - about 30 pounds in 2 months with no change in diet. Go read my profile - I tell the story.

Now I'm on the generic equivalent of Wellbutrin and I have lost weight. It's not a good choice for anxiety, however, as it raises the brain's level of norepinephrine.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for about 4 years with no weight gain due to it. I had weight gain during that period because of other reasons... I have have had no problems losing the weight with normal diet and exercise.
  • audradanielle
    Options
    I was on Zoloft for about 5 months after my brother passed away. And I gained about 20 pounds. It was really awful. I've lost most of it, thank goodness...but it's taken a while. It made me really tired! Going from running, biking, and swimming to absolutely nothing was really hard for me. I finally stopped taking it because it just made me more tired and depressed. Then I asked my doctor if she could give me something else. I'm now taking Wellbutrin and I absolutely love it. I feel like myself again and have not only lost weight, but have experienced a decrease in cravings and even wanting to snack during the day.

That being said, different people respond differently to medication. I'm just sharing my personal experience with you.

Feel free to add me or message me if you have any other questions.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight while on Zoloft. It sure killed my sex drive though (we're talking from nympho to nun lol) So I switched to Wellbutrin after about a year.

I'm very happy to say that I am now completely off prescriptions and my moods are very stable. My new "drug" is exercise! And I actually feel better than I ever did on any rx!

I highly recommend this book by Dr. John Ratey - Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. It literally changed my life - and got me off meds once and for all.

Best of luck to you.