Turkey soup..what are your favorites?

bebeisfit
bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
My sister cooked a 22lb turkey yesterday. I got to take home the carcass but not much meat. I plan on making stock today or tomorrow.

What are some of your favorite soup add ins? Grains, beans and or seasonings? Thanks!

Replies

• I like chicken tortilla soup.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Boring, potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, onions, salt, and I'm a big fan of dill.
  • Sweet_Intensity
    Sweet_Intensity Posts: 11 Member
    I made turkey minestrone today - added green beans, stewed tomatoes, onions, carrots, sweet bell peppers, garlic, basil and Great Northern beans (very high in potassium).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    big bottle of red wine.
  • bebeisfit
    big bottle of red wine.

This one wins!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    For turkey soup, I usually keep it simple: egg noodles, carrots, celery, salt & pepper to taste, maybe a little thyme or sage, depending on how the carcass was seasoned during roasting (taste the broth and finished soup before seasoning, especially when using a carcass that was presumably seasoned during roasting).

Occasionally I make something called Armenian chicken and lentil soup that I cut out of the newspaper years ago, which was adopted from "The Chicken Soup Book" by Janet Hazen. I think you could substitute turkey, although it calls for 2 cups of shredded poultry, and I don't know if you'll get that much since you said "not much meat." But there's no reason you couldn't use less meat.

Saute a diced onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds, and 2 tsp. each of cumin and paprika in 3 Tbsp olive oil in dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed sauce pan over moderate heat.

Add 1 cup dried red lentils (rinsed and sorted), 9 cups chicken (or turkey) stock, and 1/2 cup small-diced dried apricots. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until the lentils are tender (theoretically 40 to 50 minutes, but I try to check frequently after 20 minutes). Add the shredded poultry and 3 Tbsp lemon juice. Cook another five minute. Salt and pepper to taste.

I've changed some of the amounts from the original (and can't read all of the original amounts under my writing). The original also called for adding 2 tsp. ground coriander, which I don't do -- I'm not sure why -- probably because I didn't have any the first time I made it. I think it would taste good.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    big bottle of red wine.

I'm in!!!!! Oh wait a minute you need turkey and/or a carcass huh?? Hmmmm.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    When I make turkey soup, I love to make handmade egg noodles to add to it. Yum!
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    I love cabbage soup. Yes, really, lol. It's homemade & I use the cabbage in place of noodles simply to keep calories lower so I can eat it as more of an 'afternoon snack' in cold weather). I planned on adding chicken to it next time I make it to bulk it up, but I bet turkey would be a nice addition, too. :-)
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Turkey chili. Yummy!!!!
  • bebeisfit
    LB30 wrote: »
    I love cabbage soup. Yes, really, lol. It's homemade & I use the cabbage in place of noodles simply to keep calories lower so I can eat it as more of an 'afternoon snack' in cold weather). I planned on adding chicken to it next time I make it to bulk it up, but I bet turkey would be a nice addition, too. :-)

Do you add other vegetables as well? Is it like the old cabbage soup diet?
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Rice, egg noodles, onion, celery, carrots, darks turkey meat, Better than Bullion roasted chicken.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Yesterday made yellow split pea soup and as I don't eat pork, I put in a smoked turkey leg and when the soup was done, cut off the meat and stirred it back in. Easy and delicious and perfect for this snowy weather.
  • chardonais21
    chardonais21 Posts: 219 Member
    Love this one. Take it off the burner after 20mon or so, you have soup. Leave it simmer for and hour+, and you have chili! I use homemade seasoning mix instead of the package.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/turkey-chili-taco-soup/
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Wow, great ideas, can't wait to try them out!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2017
    Does turkey potpie count? Perhaps as a stew? Made the Cooks Illustrated one for chicken post-Thanksgiving after making stock from the carcass of a Shelton's bird (OMFG, so good vs. chicken stock, even from a stewing hen) + leftover dark/light meat. The dough sucked to make but it was overall awesome.

ETA: This recipe, but with an all-butter dough vs. shortening since had no good pig leaf fat available to sub in lard instead => https://thecontrarianmom.com/2011/10/31/chicken-pot-pie-cooks-illustrated/ (No endorsement of this particular website, just happened to have a reprinting of the CI recipe which is behind a membership paywall)

1ffa4qkwhv98.png

aen5prvg2ail.png