Diet Sodas

Options
What is your take on diet sodas? Is it bad to drink them (>1 a day)? I've read a lot of back and forth opinions on it does / doesnt help with weightloss.

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Not good for weight loss, gave it up about 8 months ago and NEVER thought I could. Too hard to drink soda and 64oz of water a day.

Try to cut back or make it like a treat and add more water.

Remember water is any Non Carbonated, No Cafeine, No Sugar beverage.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    They aren't good for you. But I grew up drinking them. I started drinking regular pop when I started to gain weight. I say drink them just watch how many and if you see if affecting your weight loss try to go without it.
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I only drink them when I go out to eat; at home it's only water.
  • TrainerJulie
    Options
    I am also in the process of giving them up. All pop, as a matter of fact. I don't think I've had one since last Friday, so I'm almost a week into the soda-free me! I'm trying to get myself drinking more water, but it's kind of a hassle at work, so that's a work in progress, too.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I say skip them. Unneccessary sodium and artificial sweeteners. However, soda isn't my thing, so if you like it, it's up to you to decide how much you want one!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 a day. I'm not overly concerned with it. They don't seem to make me crave additional sweets or impeded my weight loss.
  • tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I figure they can't help. I stopped drinking all sodas and sweetened drinks and have been shedding weight ever since. Granted, there has also been some major lifestyle/diet changes that went along with it. I only drink water during the week, and water and alcohol/beer on weekends.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    They certainly don't offer any advantage, unless the full feeling you get from the carbonation is one. But I drink quite a bit of diet soda (1-2 a day) and it hasn't seemed to hurt my efforts.
  • audradanielle
    Options
    Try Zevia....
    http://www.zevia.com/
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    Water>Diet Soda>Soda. If you must drink soda let it be diet then work on switching it over to water. Even if you never switch to water diet is way better than regular due to the sugar content.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink soda water and lemon juice.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had to give them up completely and it about broke my heart, but I watched the diet coke torpedo my best efforts at weight loss week after week (plus it gave me headaches and made me feel bloated and gross) and I knew it had to go.
    In addition to this, I have read that the sweetener in it tricks your body into thinking that you're eating sugar, so it releases insulin, which not only messes with your blood sugar, but slows down the weight loss. Really, the last thing you want to do is start flirting with diabetes, so I would say stay away from it. It's what I have chosen to do, and I know I feel a lot better for it.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 1-2 cans per week. I still drink my 10-14 glasses of water daily tho. And i always get a water along side my diet coke at restaurants so i drink 2x the liquid but only half the pop!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yeah...you are going to get a lot of responses! My thoughts....everything in moderation! I drink 20-22 glasses of water a day....yes I use to drink 8-10 and have 8-10 cans of diet coke- this is not moderation- aspartame is not good for you- but neither is sugar and its in all juices! Different sugar but drinking 8 cups of OJ will hurt a healthy lifestyle just as much as 8 cans of pop- its all in how you look at it- there are so many things that are not good for us, but if we learn to take them in moderation its not going to kill you.

I say this, and yes i still drink diet coke. I could try to give it up, but I don't want too. Yes I use to have 8-10 per day and now I might have 1-2, and maybe 3 on the weekends. I do find I go for water more but I still love the diet coke!

I have seen my mid section go down b/c I don't drink as much diet pop-

its not going to help with weight loss but having 1 a day is not going to or it should not stop you from losing weight! Just don't drink it right after the gym...it can dehydrate you! Water always after the gym!
  • heofon
    heofon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink one diet soda every one or two days. I know the caramel color can contribute to kidney stones. Many artificial sweeteners have raised the risk of cancer in lab rats, and the there's the insulin thing. Although, as your body gets used to having the sweetener I would think that it would regulate the insulin output back to normal as it would detect the extra amount. But if you're having trouble with cravings, avoiding artificial sweeteners may give you that extra willpower. The carbonation is not really good for teeth and can slightly rob the bones of calcium. Obviously all of this is so slight that the FDA has approved it for consumption and many people on here drink it with no obvious ill effects, but water is definitely the best way to go. Green tea rocks the house, too, since it has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants.