motivation and mental strength

Options
gmc685
gmc685 Posts: 26 Member
edited December 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hey guys,
I have received so much flack this week for eating right and exercising. I’m on a cut right now, so it is admittedly more extreme, but I have found it impressive and challenging how much people become uncomfortable when you say no to certain food, or dictate a time that you’ll be “at the gym”. Wondering what everyone else’s experience has been with this, and how to stay strong mentally even though you’ve been referred to as “certifiably insane”
Feel free to add me! I need more good friends.

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, nobody dictates ANYTHING to me.

The gym is an appointment--I write my commitments on a calendar and they do not change unless there is an emergency or I am sick.

I don't think of it as mental strength so much as force of habit. Boundaries are a good thing too--sounds like you need to enforce some with people in your life.
  • SarahsHustle
    SarahsHustle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    gmc685 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I have received so much flack this week for eating right and exercising. I’m on a cut right now, so it is admittedly more extreme, but I have found it impressive and challenging how much people become uncomfortable when you say no to certain food, or dictate a time that you’ll be “at the gym”. Wondering what everyone else’s experience has been with this, and how to stay strong mentally even though you’ve been referred to as “certifiably insane”
    Feel free to add me! I need more good friends.

I empathize with you! I am so mad at myself for slowing down with my gym progress because of how others viewed me. I could feel the judging, it was almost tangible and it had such a negative affect on my mental that I stopped! I know I have no one to blame but myself but when you said you need more GOOD friends, I swear I almost high fived the phone, girl. From now on it's ME and MY gym time and if they don't like it....tough sugar free cookies!!!!!!!!! Let's. Do. This.
  • robhunt25
    robhunt25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Through the past year I've gone from being healthy and maintaining my weight. To going above and beyond by cutting out alcohol completely and going multiple weeks without any junk food or sweets. It sucks sometimes, but when it's hard just close your eyes and picture yourself accomplishing your goals and what it is like to experience the change that you are pursuing. Then get up and make the hard choice in the name of what is better and what you truly want. Don't focus on saying no, but saying yes to what you want more than anything. Add me if you wanna know more about my story and how I've accomplished my goals.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    You know that what you are doing is good for you. I would ignore the negative comments.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Maybe just don't tell them what you're doing and why. Just do what you want and keep it to yourself.
  • ckauszler
    ckauszler Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have got the same response, people think I'm crazy but I'm just more determined than I've ever been. Add me
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    If you just started like me, I think it's partially because we are doing this in December instead of starting in January after the holidays. My mom and my boyfriend are supportive of me starting now, my friends not so much. One out of the blue told me to go buy some ice cream, lol.