Opinions on Gold's Gym

Options
I have a workout schedule in place with a friend of mine at his apartment's workout room. So far the availability has been less than consistent and with my busy schedule I need a bit more flexibility in when I go. That being said, I have started looking into gyms in the area.
So far I have only looked into YMCA and Gold's Gym - that's really all there is nearby.

YMCA is out of my budget. $46/month + $65 joining fee. I just can't afford it right now.
Gold's is $20/mo + $100 join fee. That's doable.

What types of experience have you had with Gold's. I have heard that it's a great place and I have heard that it's one of those gyms where the "meatheads" live. I know that it's not fair to generalize. I'm just looking for some opinions. I'm still gonna check it out myself.

Replies

• sweetjanet2k
    sweetjanet2k Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried your local recereation center. They normally have great prices and pretty decent equipment. Good luck!!!
  • sweetjanet2k
    sweetjanet2k Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Recreation Center sorry for the typo!!!
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of the YMCA until a guy here at work started to train me, he is a member at Golds, so I went there one evening. I was so impressed that I joined then and dropped the YMCA like a bad habit. Even the moral is better at golds. I tell ya, I LOVE movies and when I walked into the Cardio Cenima I was blown away
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've not had a problem at Golds. However it is wise to stop by a couple of times (at the time you'd be working out) and check out the crowd. This goes for any gym really. At the one used to go to it was completely empty (but open) when i worked out.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My opinion of national chains like Golds Gym has been less than stellar.
    The price tag on them to me means that it tends to attract so many people you may find getting on to equipment you'd like to use difficult.
    Also, they tend not to take care of equipment less than privately owned local gyms.
    I've also seen a lot of these chains disappear with peoples money over the years and that's a concern too.
    I'd suggest shopping around further although the price for the YMCA does seem steep.
    Before you jump in with both feet at Golds, try going at various times of the day and days of the week to see what prople traffic is like and ask lots of questions such as equipment maintenance and satisfaction guarantees. If you don't like what you hear then don't give them any money.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Since it's a franchise and they're all independently owned, they're all different. The ones around where I live are really nice but I've visited some that look like backyard equipment was used. Just check it out and use their two week free membership to see if you like it.

side note: the one's in town are owned by the same guy, not sure if it's just him or the franchise, but they'll sell you the air you breathe if they could get away with it. Keep your wallet in your vehicle.
  • kaplansa
    kaplansa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been a member at Gold's for almost a year. I second the comment by MrBrown72 - the experience can differ based on the specific gym. I've had a great experience, but I mostly use Cardio Cinema and the group exercise classes (LOVE THEM). So if you're doing group exercise I'd definitely recommend them (esp since you can usually visit another location for a very small fee if you become a member, which is convenient), but as to basic use of gym equipment I'd say it varies by location.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I would like to note that in the OP I stated that I will be checking it out for myself. I was just curious what everyone thought of them.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've had a Gold's Gym membership for 10 years, and while it's not of the quality of the more expensive gyms (i.e. they don't hand you towels at every workout), I've found that it's all I need. They have the equipment, they're open 24 hours (mine is at least), and as long as I'm motivated to go, I always get a good workout. The one downer is that sometimes it takes a while for machines to get fixed, or they leave ailing machines in service too long.
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at Golds. I love it. I was going to Planet Fitness which is way cheaper at 10$a month.But I was definitely missing something. I had been a member at golds back in 04-06 then stopped going to focus on school. I went back just to get a group fitness pass and some of the old trainers from before remembered me and convinced me to come back. I absolutely love it again Tons of classes,all different types of cardio and weight machines and personal trainers for when you hit that plateau. Plus a lap pool and a juice bar. No complaints here.
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    It's too bad there isn't a Planet Fitness in Eustis. It's $10 monthly, no contract. We were members there for about 10 months... But I have to say, since leaving the commercial gym setting, I will never be a gym member again. Why pay for what you can do for free? Walk, run, calisthenics, home workout videos, ride bike, etc. Plus you'll never have to wait for someone else to get off the machine you want to use.