Calorie Deficit Help

Options
Hello everyone,

I am updating my profile and creating an eating plan to help me lose weight. Exercise wise I plan on jump roping for 30 minutes daily. My caloric intake is going to be around 1500 - 1600 calories, however, I am hitting a bit of a rock and a hard place. Below is a salad type recipe that tends to fill me up as long as I add baked meat that about fits my palm - the equivalent amount of meat is about 2.5 chicken thighs, 3 chicken legs, or about 1/3 of a turkey breast. I eat this two times day with snacks such as carrots, celery with peanut butter, apples and sometimes 2 - 3 eggs to keep me in my range. Where I am hitting a hard spot is fat, carb and protein intake. Depending on what I eat with the salad, say turkey breast, my fat and carbs are good, but not protein, if I use eggs and chicken thigh, my fat is too high, carbs good, but protein low. I will be burning between 300 - 600 calories a day as it will take me a bit to reach a consistent 30 minute mark. I can eat turkey and chicken in this diet to have enough fat and carbs, but protein is still an issue. I understand there are powders to help bring that up, but what I am wondering is what will happen to my body if just my protein is lacking compared to fats and carbs?

My main goal is weight loss and to become slimmer. I am broad shouldered and bulky by nature, building muscle comes naturally while dropping fat is hard and easy to gain. Atm I am around 30% fat range, 23 y/o, 5'10" and around 235lbs. I have managed to reach 210 around 6 months ago, but personal and injury issues resulted in weight gain since I wasn't doing enough physical labor to create a calorie deficit. Luckily this salad recipe with meat has been a perfect fix for overeating or eating the wrong foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/269397058703357

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There are no wrong foods.

Your calorie intake is low for your stats.

Why do you need to eat the same thing all the time? I'm not a salad lover myself.
    I like hot food. Piles of fish and veggies.
    Could you add in cottage cheese? And maybe some Greek yoghurt with fruit for breakfast or a snack.

How much protein are you trying to get?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? The calories are particularly low if OP is a male.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do not be afraid of protein. I would suggest achieving the protein goal MFP gives you. High protein foods will not only satiate you more, I believe it will also help you not lose too much muscle mass. Gold standard is a good powder that will help you fill in hr gaps. High and protein and low in calories.
  • Theme57
    Theme57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whoops, I forgot to add I am male :smile:

As far as eating the same thing goes it personally doesn't bother me. I try to eat other foods besides the salad and I just don't feel satisfied or that good. The salad feels 'complete' in terms of satisfying me since and probably due to the amount of it filling 3/4 a large salad bowl. As far as protein goes the calculators say I need about 50~ percent or around 200~ grams of it. I am estimating between 100 - 125g unless I added more meat (never a problem) to the salads. Main goal is fat loss, eventually I will work my way up to using weighted rope for muscle gain. Right now, muscle isn't much of a concern, simply getting my body down to a lean weight before I begin strength training and increasing muscle mass.

Can anyone recommend a good powder? Soy, dairy/whey don't sit well with me. I recall a vegan option, but can't remember if it was protein based. Greek Yogurt is a fantastic idea! I can add that to the salad or for a lunch with something else.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    Theme57 wrote: »
    Exercise wise I plan on jump roping for 30 minutes daily. My caloric intake is going to be around 1500 - 1600 calories, however, I am hitting a bit of a rock and a hard place. Below is a salad type recipe that tends to fill me up as long as I add baked meat that about fits my palm - the equivalent amount of meat is about 2.5 chicken thighs, 3 chicken legs, or about 1/3 of a turkey breast. I eat this two times day with snacks such as carrots, celery with peanut butter, apples and sometimes 2 - 3 eggs to keep me in my range. Where I am hitting a hard spot is fat, carb and protein intake. Depending on what I eat with the salad, say turkey breast, my fat and carbs are good, but not protein, if I use eggs and chicken thigh, my fat is too high, carbs good, but protein low. I will be burning between 300 - 600 calories a day as it will take me a bit to reach a consistent 30 minute mark.

First, I think it is extremely unlikely you will burn 600 calories in 30 minutes of jumping rope.
    I can eat turkey and chicken in this diet to have enough fat and carbs, but protein is still an issue. I understand there are powders to help bring that up, but what I am wondering is what will happen to my body if just my protein is lacking compared to fats and carbs?

Second, I don't understand why you're eating turkey and chicken for carbs?! Eating more turkey and chicken should increase your protein, not your carbs (relatively speaking). Maybe you need to look at the database entries you're using to log your chicken and turkey, because they could be inaccurate.
  • ChisaBear
    ChisaBear Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding seeds, nuts, and/or beans to your diet? I've seen many salad recipes add sunflower seeds.
    Many nuts are packed with protein, carbs, and fat, (also quite a bit of calories for the serving portions). Beans are known for protein and carbs.
  • Theme57
    Options
    Theme57 wrote: »
    Exercise wise I plan on jump roping for 30 minutes daily. My caloric intake is going to be around 1500 - 1600 calories, however, I am hitting a bit of a rock and a hard place. Below is a salad type recipe that tends to fill me up as long as I add baked meat that about fits my palm - the equivalent amount of meat is about 2.5 chicken thighs, 3 chicken legs, or about 1/3 of a turkey breast. I eat this two times day with snacks such as carrots, celery with peanut butter, apples and sometimes 2 - 3 eggs to keep me in my range. Where I am hitting a hard spot is fat, carb and protein intake. Depending on what I eat with the salad, say turkey breast, my fat and carbs are good, but not protein, if I use eggs and chicken thigh, my fat is too high, carbs good, but protein low. I will be burning between 300 - 600 calories a day as it will take me a bit to reach a consistent 30 minute mark.

First, I think it is extremely unlikely you will burn 600 calories in 30 minutes of jumping rope.
    I can eat turkey and chicken in this diet to have enough fat and carbs, but protein is still an issue. I understand there are powders to help bring that up, but what I am wondering is what will happen to my body if just my protein is lacking compared to fats and carbs?

Second, I don't understand why you're eating turkey and chicken for carbs?! Eating more turkey and chicken should increase your protein, not your carbs (relatively speaking). Maybe you need to look at the database entries you're using to log your chicken and turkey, because they could be inaccurate.

I've trained in Muay Thai and jump rope has been fairly killer keeping a good pace and not tripping. Based on what multiple websites note jump rope has the potential to burn this many calories. More so with weighted rope.

Chicken and Turkey aren't what contributes carbs to my meal plan. I only stated eating those would keep carbs and fat at a good level.
  • Theme57
    Options
    ChisaBear wrote: »
    Have you tried adding seeds, nuts, and/or beans to your diet? I've seen many salad recipes add sunflower seeds.
    Many nuts are packed with protein, carbs, and fat, (also quite a bit of calories for the serving portions). Beans are known for protein and carbs.

I had actually forgotten about this! Adding nuts would probably fix the issue of too little protein.