Frustrated!!

Options
I feel like I’ve had a good week, I’ve gone to the gym every day and am burning at least 800 calories every class I take according to fitness monitor I wear during them and I’m eating about 1400 calories a day. My BMR according to the InBody scale my gym has is 1425 calories. You would think that eating close to that and working out every day that I would lose a little this week. But I ended up gaining a pound. If I do the math I should’ve had a calorie deficit of about 5700 this week so I should’ve lost at least a lb! It’s just frustrating and discouraging to feel like you’re doing everything you’re supposed to but still not seeing results. And I know the scale isn’t everything, but at this point in my journey I still have a lot of fat to lose so I would think I should see changes in the scale too.

Replies

• bethjl96
    bethjl96 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I’m going through the same thing!! I feel like I’m doing everything right....measuring and weighing food...exercising as much as I can realistically fit into my schedule....and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Ok so I have not been eating perfect every day but perfect is boring....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    bethjl96 wrote: »
    I’m going through the same thing!! I feel like I’m doing everything right....measuring and weighing food...exercising as much as I can realistically fit into my schedule....and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Ok so I have not been eating perfect every day but perfect is boring....

By not eating "perfect" do you mean you aren't consistently hitting your calorie goal?
  • bethjl96
    bethjl96 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Um...ya I’m definitely going over some days
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Give it time...when I first started running my weight didn't budge for weeks! It was just water weight and I know this now because I had a large drop in weight when the time came. Once my body stopped freaking out about my new exercise routine the weight came off more consistently with weekly drops. This has happened all during my journey...basically anytime I do something new like adding in resistance traing or switching up cardio...my weight stalls again. It's frustrating, but if you stay the course you will learn how your body responds :)
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Why would Michael Phelps burn more calories doing an activity for an hour than anyone else?
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    For me it took 25 years of neglecting myself to put on the extra weight. I just cannot be freaking out over week to week progress.

Keep at what you are doing and stay off the scale even if it is hard to do. If you can have someone do a full body measurement on you. Take pics and compare those over time like once a month. My weight can go up and down 5lbs in a day so i am not sweating the changes.

Your just going to stress yourself out and possibly fall back into bad habits. hang in there
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Michael Phelps has(had?) a crazy fitness routine but what I mean by questioning of his calorie burns are really so untouchable is that his body was most likely very adapted to his workouts and there’s a lot to say behind the argument that a less fit person would burn more than him doing the same things. Or attempting to do the same things.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(15)01577-8
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP,

The other suggestion I can offer is to consider weighing daily instead of weekly and using a weight-trending app to track the weigh-ins. Happy Scale is for iPhone and Libra is for Android.

I used to think weighing daily would make me obsessive and discouraged, but it's done the opposite. I understand so much better how my diet and exercise and hormones affect my weight. And the daily fluctuations of a couple pounds don't bother me anymore.

After a few weeks of daily weigh-ins, the app will plot the direction in which your weight is trending in spite of the ups and downs. It's very reassuring.

When I realized I was planning my days around my weekly weigh-in, what foods and workouts, all because of how worried I was about the weekly weigh-in, I knew I needed a change. That was not a mentally healthy place to be.

Happy Scale indeed! :smiley:
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    On a lazy day I barely burn 1600 being alive (I swear on these days my Fitbit thinks I’m dead) I’m at a healthy weight but I can’t even imagine what sort of torture I’d have to endure to burn 800 at the gym. I did one of those body combat classes (and got light headed a few times so I have yet to go back) and burned like 300 in the hour :/
  • kittyblackstar
    kittyblackstar Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I don't think you would be burning 800 calories every gym session. That is some serious working out.

I do circuit training and weight lifting, crossfit style workouts at my gym. Basically there are 4-5 circuits that we do 2-3 rounds of things like sled pushes, burpees, wall balls, squats, kettlebell swings, tire flips, also barbell work as well (back squats, deadlifts, push press, etc). I wear a heart rate monitor that came with the membership that tracks your HR throughout your workout and I guess based on your height, weight and HR it approximates how many calories you burn and it is typically somewhere between 800-900. Oh and sometimes I do Zumba! :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    A pound up or down is a normal fluctuation. No biggie.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    800 calories burnt a day via exercise? Your body is likely holding a butt load of water for that. Weigh yourself after a day or two of no exercise, in the morning, with no clothes on, that's usually when I am at my lowest.

If you don't have much to lose, you aren't going to see results over just a week.