I HATE running!

Options

Replies

• megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I definitely can relate to you sometimes! I run on a treadmill all the time for fitness, trying for around 6 miles a week currently. I think if you vary your treadmill workouts to do a few speed drills, that really spices up an otherwise boring routine (and sometimes you are done faster!)

What's really important for me is motivating music - try changing up your running playlist and getting an arm band so you don't have to hold anything while you run!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    correct me if I am wrong, but you run on the treadmill right Daisy?

My suggestion is try running outside. I hear it is easier, and you might just enjoy it more too.

I give you BIG Kudos for sticking to it. One day I WILL get on the C25k plan...

...but not today

:wink:

Ditto - I DESPISE running on a TM, and will only do it while traveling in the hotel gym when I have no other options. Lucky for me I live in a climate that allows me to run outdoors virtually year round.

I find TM incredibly boring and difficult (I'm apparently uncoordinated LOL). When I do run on them, I can only max about 3.5 miles - well beyond that.

Also have you tried following any program like the C25K? I find it helped not only with my endurance, but my confidence as a runner. It gave me the structure I didn't know I had. I'm currently following a different program while training for my first half marathon :)
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I HATE running on a treadmill. Plus I'm much faster outside. I only run inside in then winter.
    What makes me LOVE running is the freedom of it. Which I think is from being outside.
    Sometimes I listen to my Ipod and other times I like the sound of my feet hitting the pavement.
    What pumps me up is when I see a hill coming up and I power to the top. It feels like such an accomplishment.
    I think the feeling your getting after you run is why most runners run.
    Have you ever done a race? I suggest signing up for one. Then you'll be training for something. Which helps keep you motivated. And races are SO much FUN! Good luck sweetie..
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I HATE running on a treadmill. Plus I'm much faster outside. I only run inside in then winter.
    What makes me LOVE running is the freedom of it. Which I think is from being outside.
    Sometimes I listen to my Ipod and other times I like the sound of my feet hitting the pavement.
    What pumps me up is when I see a hill coming up and I power to the top. It feels like such an accomplishment.
    I think the feeling your getting after you run is why most runners run.
    Have you ever done a race? I suggest signing up for one. Then you'll be training for something. Which helps keep you motivated. And races are SO much FUN! Good luck sweetie..

Completely agree with every word of this post.
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    There are days that I hate running and wish that there was some magic way to be able to run farther or longer but I haven't found that yet. I have followed the couch to 10k program that has helped to increase my distance over time. I also use the Nike + running app on my phone. It is fun to compete with friends and with my competitive nature it pushes me a little farther when I can see the progress. Even if you don't have the app I would start keeping a log of distance and time so that you can see the progression. When I am feeling down I can go back and look how far I have progressed and feel much better.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    This may or may not apply to you, but seems true for me:

I recently read a very long post on some running forum about lactate threshold and why some people never seem to get comfortable running. Essentially, many people (myself included, and numbers proved it during recent metabolic testing) have a low anaerobic threshold. Those in this category often get frustrated because they are pushing themselves too hard. Basically, my mentality was always about running a mile at a certain speed and then adding distance to that each time I go out in order to try to improve my endurance. This is more about mental endurance than physical, because your muscles will simply not allow you to get comfortable training this way. What I need to do, and you may need to do also, is run at a much lower heart rate so that my body increases its anaerobic threshold and its aerobic base. Basically, I need to train at slower speeds so that my heart rate is still low enough to benefit long-term from my cardio. Maybe you are in a similar position? Elite marathon training professionals often use this approach, though I am admittedly much worse in terms of my anaerobic threshold than the runners they probably start with.

Definitely something to think about...my heart rate does normally stay around 90-93 when I'm running, so it may be a little too high..
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    There are days that I hate running and wish that there was some magic way to be able to run farther or longer but I haven't found that yet. I have followed the couch to 10k program that has helped to increase my distance over time. I also use the Nike + running app on my phone. It is fun to compete with friends and with my competitive nature it pushes me a little farther when I can see the progress. Even if you don't have the app I would start keeping a log of distance and time so that you can see the progression. When I am feeling down I can go back and look how far I have progressed and feel much better.

I do have that app on my iPod... but it seems to take a while for the sensor to work... so I get tired of waiting for that step. I am going to try setting it before I get to the gym today. Thanks!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    First of all... congrats on the 44lb weight loss... that is awesome!!!!

I share your pain about running... I hate it too!!! I do it because it's great cardio, and... it has helped my butt and thighs get stronger and smaller!!!! I posted a similar topic earlier this week -- check it out for some good advice....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305528-runners-when-does-it-start-to-get-fun

We may never be the kind of people who enjoy running, but... I'm gonna stick with it for a while because it's good for me, and... I like the way I feel when I'm done.
  • Fatty_Fatass
    Options
    I am not sure if this will be any help to you or not, and if it isn't then please just go ahead and disregard it.

I have been sort of training to run longer distances lately and at first I found myself at odds with it because I was often out of breath, which made me slow down, which made me want to speed up, which made me slow down, which made me want to speed up.......

Which eventually ended with me walking for a couple minutes until I could catch my breath.

So I tried a couple things that really made a lot of difference in my runs, they may not work for you and I am by no means an expert at anything.......

First I turned OFF the music for a little while so that I could concentrate on breathing. There is a rythym to the way I breathe when I run. Its very controlled and if I can keep that rythym I find I don't run out of breath nearly as quickly and my runs are stronger and more even. Once I was able to recognize my breathing pattern I was able to turn the music back on because I no longer had to think about breathing or finding the rythym, it was part of me.

I know I am absolutely terrible at explaining things and I doubt what I said made much sense , but, the principle of rythmic breathing is more easily expressed / explained / understood thru the idea of Cadence. Cadence is a way that soldiers control rythmic breathing, gauge running speed and find motivation. You might try googling Army Cadence or something to get more info. You can buy cadences on pretty much any music sites, they are not the most fun thing to listen too, but if you spend some time listening to them as you run you will sort of just automatically fall into a controlled breathing rythym.

I have some free Cadences that I would be so happy to send you if you'd like, just let me know.

Secondly, I decided to try controlling my route and using it to my advantage, which REALLY worked for me. I adjusted my route so that I would climb a big hill just BEFORE hitting the distance where I would start to poop out. Going up the hill was taxing and would take me far out of breath, but, once I got "over the hump" and back onto level ground (or even a declining grade) breath would come much more easily.

I would slow down a little bit once I was "over the hump" but never to a walk, just to a 5-6 mph pace (which I can easily gauge by the speed of my breathing rythym. Once my breath caught up to me I would kick back into full gear and I would find that my capacity seemed to be greater and even tho I was moving faster my breath and calves stayed strong.

Thirdly, I started hitting a track once in a while. I don't try to do huge distances on the track. I am there to work towards building a "set of gears". Basically I will jog around it a couple times to warm up, and then I will really start moving. I will start a lap at a normal pace and then once I get around the corner I will run very fast, lifting my knees high and breathing with all I got untill I get to the next corner where I will slow down to my normal pace until I hit the next corner where I will increase my speed further and further until I am in a dead sprint. Once I hit the tracks finish line (which is where the next corner begins) I slow down and repeat the process.

The track is 1/4 mile and I usually do this about 10 times. I won't do anymore running / jogging that day, tho I always take a long fast walk afterwards. This workout always remains taxing because the faster you get, the faster you go. If it is really hard the first few times add a fast walking laps every 5th go round, feel no guilt, just keep moving.

The way this translated into help for my run was that because I was spending time running at high and higher speeds, it became easier to maintain my "normal" pace.

I notice you talking about 10k programs and stuff and its obvious from your picture that you are very fit, I am sure you are probably a much better runner than I am and I dunno if the stuff I just mentioned was so novice as to be assumed........

But....... no one else mentioned any of them, and , they really helped me, not only to find some speed and balance , but to take the dread out of the run. I used to hate walking out the door to run. It would take me 10 minutes to tie my shoes and I would always stall for a few more minutes before taking my first steps. Nowadays I love to run, I buy ostentatious shoes with huge shocks in the back that could never match any outfit and I don't care. Where I used to stall walking out the door, now I can't wait. I am moving and hopping around in the house before I even get my shoes on, and I can't tie them fast enough.

I am by no means an accomplished runner. My BEST runs are 5 miles in under 35 minutes and my average pace is actually closer to 8 minutes per mile than 7 minutes per mile. I know this is not very good performance, but, I am pretty heavy and believe it or not it took me awhile to even get this far. When I started my run miles were around 13 minutes, considering I walk an easy easy relaxed mile in 15 minutes I know thats not very fast. I actually amped up the speeds pretty fast. It took only a few weeks to turn that 13 minutes into 9 and instead of running 1 -2 miles I was running 3-5. 9 minute miles were my wall and its taken awhile (3 months or so) to get down to 8's. I can run 7's, but, its still too hard to do it consistenly. 8 is a comfortable pace for me.

Again I am not really sure if any of this helps, and I apologize if I didn't understand the question.... feel totally free to disregard if its not what you are looking for...... I just hoped maybe I could add something to the conversation. Thank You for reading it if you did.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Some folks love it, some folks hate it, some folks tolerate it.

One thing that helped flip me over from "hate" to "love" was improving my stride motion/gait. I used to bounce a LOT when I was running (my earbuds kept flying out of my ears, haha), which was making me extremely inefficient and was draining my stamina. Once I learned how to direct my momentum forward, I suddenly got a lot quicker and could run further, and it became fun. Some gyms offer free stride analysis to help you figure out how to improve your stride -- maybe that might help? I also like to vary up my route outdoors. :smile:

You may never love it -- some folks never will -- but I hope you do! :smile:
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. I did run 22 minutes today and it was torture. My husband on the other hand who is unhealthy and out of shape can go out and run 4 miles like it was nothing. Drives me nuts! I keep hoping that I'll like it so I can start doing 5ks and whatnot like a lot of my friends but I just don't see it happening. I actually just started spinning and I LOVE that! I get more of a high than when I force myself to run. I actually look foward to doing it instead of dreading it.
  • 0uTc4sT
    0uTc4sT Posts: 26
    Options
    I love running! I used to hate it years ago but fell in love with running a couple months ago. Your pace should be at what some call a conversation pace. Meaning you should be able to talk to someone while running and it not effect you at all or if it does, the effect should be minimum. Try to run at that pace and i'm sure your run will last longer. Also, Take shorter more gentle/light steps and try not to swing your arms hard. The key thing to running long distances is reserving as much energy as you can while running and that is why form is so important. Good luck :D
  • strido
    strido Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel Daisy! I never thought I'd get into running to the point of actually enjoying it, but I am now! I don't think I enjoy the process as much as I enjoy the results (let's be honest, even an Olympic runner is after results, only Forest Gump runs without a goal!) but it is what keeps me going. I live in the UK and I found an association that organises 5K races on a weekly basis and every saturday, they time you. My goal is to have a PB every week, even by a few seconds, and it works! I'm so pumped that I will train during the week to make sure that I get a PB the week afterwards, and I therefore push myself more.
    So in a nutshell, i would advise you to find a local running association that organises that kind of events, even it's not on a weekly basis. Hope this helps!
    Good luck :)

PS: I agree with everyone else regarding running outside. The treadmill has to be the most boring place on earth and even if it's good to boost your pace, I always find that I get tired quicker than when I run outside.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help but I used to run. Did it reguarly for almost 3 years. Hated it the whole time. Now I do Zumba instead. It's fun and I've lost just as much weight as I did running.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Why don't you try running outside? Part of your frustration could be boredom from the hamster wheel... As well as focusing in on the digital time/cals/numbers in front of you.

Just a thought... :)
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I also dont like running. Ive tried, and completed a 5k run which I was really pleased with, but overall, I just dont enjoy it. Find something you love, then you're more likely to stick with it and be enthusiastic with it. Have fun!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Don't do it then! I love it, but I think I prefer aerobics.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This may or may not apply to you, but seems true for me:

I recently read a very long post on some running forum about lactate threshold and why some people never seem to get comfortable running. Essentially, many people (myself included, and numbers proved it during recent metabolic testing) have a low anaerobic threshold. Those in this category often get frustrated because they are pushing themselves too hard. Basically, my mentality was always about running a mile at a certain speed and then adding distance to that each time I go out in order to try to improve my endurance. This is more about mental endurance than physical, because your muscles will simply not allow you to get comfortable training this way. What I need to do, and you may need to do also, is run at a much lower heart rate so that my body increases its anaerobic threshold and its aerobic base. Basically, I need to train at slower speeds so that my heart rate is still low enough to benefit long-term from my cardio. Maybe you are in a similar position? Elite marathon training professionals often use this approach, though I am admittedly much worse in terms of my anaerobic threshold than the runners they probably start with.

Definitely something to think about...my heart rate does normally stay around 90-93 when I'm running, so it may be a little too high..

This is very interesting to me. I have been trying to do more jogging but find within a minute I am above my max heart rate. I have worked up from a normal walk to a fast walk so it isn't like I am jumping right into this. If you have any links or other info on this I would appreciate it.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The best way to love running is to do a triathlon. They are sooooo much fun, you'll enjoy the training. Also, loving running comes with time. Just keep grinding through it. I found that having a running plan that helps me achieve specific goals for distance and time is really helpful. I'm a pretty slow runner but I'm making good gains this year. I love to hit goals so setting them has been very motivating. When I started running I would run a 5K in 41 minutes. Not this year, baby! I got myself a running coach and a couple of running partners and they've helped step up my game. Having friends to run with really is very motivating. Especially if you have a friend whose a chatter box and talks while they run, it helps you lose focus on your pain. I ran 10 miles with my friend on Tuesday and if she hadn't been with me, I may have quit early, but because she was there it kept me going. So get yourself a running partner, a running coach, and start setting some goals. In no time you'll love it. And cross training is great for helping you love to run. Don't be afraid to swap your run courses too. Go different places, hit the trails, try different roads, etc. I use map my ride to find the distances ahead of time or I use my Garmin, but not everyone has one of those. Enjoy!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I run at the gym. Then, I have Netflx, Hulu Plus, MFP, and CNN to get me through it.