Food allergies

Options
I have celiac, and I am also allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts.

I have been gf since 2004, and found out I was allergic to nuts about 5 years ago. Unfortunately I did not respond to the 3 years of allergy shots I received, and finally realized in June that contrary to my allergist's advice, it was not okay to try eating almonds. So that has been a bummer. I had an out-of-the-blue reaction to peanut butter when I was 23, which was also a bummer, as peanut butter was an easy go to solution for low blood sugar.

If anyone else has alternative food ideas, or recipes they would like to share that would be awesome!

Replies

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sunflower seed butter? I don't have personal experience, but know people with nut allergies who substitute it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Wow butter is my saviour. My son has peanut allergies so I can't have normal peanut butter in the house.

Liquorice is great for low blood sugar.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest asking the allergist, PCP, or dietician what to eat to control blood glucose. I'm assuming this is a diagnosed issue for you, so one of these providers should provide guidance within your medical profile.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    A peanut butter alternative we used was soynut butter...it’s made in a nut free facility and is made from soybeans. It’s flavor/aroma/texture is close enough to peanut butter that my allergic daughter wouldn’t touch the stuff (it freaked her out even though it was safe for her to eat) but my other kid and I would eat it instead of PB (though my husband thought it was a poor substitute)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I love sunflower butter, especially the maranatha brand. I don't think it has sugar in it though, so not sure if it would be helpful for low blood sugar. Not a fan of wow butter, gives me a tummy ache.
  • CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi hun-
    Sorry to hear about your allergies. I know that can really narrow down your options until you can get creative. I became GF 4 years ago due to a seriously painful intolerance and Diverticulosis that is triggered by wheat and other grains. I use spaghetti squash for my pasta. It tastes so much better than those gummy mushy high carb gluten free noodles and has so much more nutrients. I use Mission brand GF tortillas if I am craving a quesadilla. They taste pretty good texture wise if you crisp them up in a pan with butter but straight out of the package as a wrap (not so much.) I also use corn torillas with Mexican food or big leaves of lettuce for tuna salad boats or wraping a juicy cheese burger. Also, get Tamari sauce instead of Soy sauce...it tastes the name but is gluten free. Van's, Udi's, Rudi's, Ener-g are all GF brands that have delicious waffles, tortillas, bread, hotdog/hamburger buns, bagels and Pamela's Pancake mix is delicious and you just add water. Also California Pizza Kitchen has 2 delicious GF pizza choices (Bbq Chicken Pizza and Margherrita style). All of these brands have things either in the dry food, speciality pantry aisles or in the freezer sections. I have found most of these products at Walmart, Kroger and Farm Fresh. Hope this helps!