ANY TYPE ONE DIABETICS?

Options
I've been type one diabetic for 15 years now. Currently on an animas insulin pump. Looking for other insulin dependant friends! I know for myself it's hard to lose weight being diabetic.. Aka exercise, go into a low, eat a snack, repeat haha

Replies

• ReginaOSU
    ReginaOSU Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Type 1 pumper here. Always open to new friends :)

A1C has always been decent until last fall... I had a personal high score. I started on Dec 5th, lost 24.8lbs, average insulin in Dec was about 100 units, now I'm averaging 53 units/day. What has helped my glucose the most is the logging / weighing of everything and exercise.
  • cowano630
    cowano630 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Type 1 pumper too! Diagnosed when I was 26, on the pump 2 years later. I was religious about MFP for 3 months last year and really tried hard to eat mostly clean. Cutting unprocessed foods from my diet brought my insulin ratios and usage down by 1/3, even before I lost weight. I did lose about 30#, then got lazy and gained 10 back, so back on the wagon.

Lows are aggravating. Try to plan for exercise if you regulate your own insulin usage Michelleanne. When I exercise (laughs, I might be the laziest person on MFP) I try to lower my basal rate by 25%.

It is hard to lose weight having diabetes but we can do it! Heck, we already have to pay attention to everything we eat dieting or not. Lol.

• lunatamara
    lunatamara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a type 1 and pumping (medtronics). Losing weight feels impossible for me! I have about 40lbs to lose. I had a baby (my 3rd) 6 months ago, and this time around i just CAN'T get the weight off. I've started a ketogentic (like atkins) and that's helped alot. I'm down to 40units/day from the 95/day i used to need. I'm tracking every bite and i'm trying to get at least 3 good workouts in, but man, with 3 small kids, it's madness!
  • kcmw112
    kcmw112 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me!! Type 1 since age 6, now 24. I'm on an animus pump, metformin and most recently trulicity. The trulicity has helped me drop like 25 pounds so far and it's definitely helped my blood sugar. Keeping my numbers low is still a struggle even with all the medication though.
  • kurtzmila
    kurtzmila Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Type one on Omnipod and Dexcom!
  • Highalertmission
    Highalertmission Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    kcmw112 wrote: »
    Me!! Type 1 since age 6, now 24. I'm on an animus pump, metformin and most recently trulicity. The trulicity has helped me drop like 25 pounds so far and it's definitely helped my blood sugar. Keeping my numbers low is still a struggle even with all the medication though.

Almost the same story! I was diagnosed when I was 7 and I am 25 now. I struggle with high blood sugars too.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    60 year old type 1 and on a pump! I truly believe we can all do it but it is a tight rope walking act!
    Less insulin less food means weight loss. But checking for those irritating lows are always on the burner!
  • t1der
    t1der Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    40yr old pumper here. 16lbs down so far and 24-44 to go! At my highest weight a year and a half ago (31lbs ago), I suddenly found myself using up to 80 units of insulin of a day! I then moved down to 40, or so, and since I have been losing consistently, I have been hovering right under 30 (1200-1400 nutrient packed/balanced calories a day). Less insulin = less fat storage, right? :) Those dang lows, though. Keeping the right basal dose is no joke when you are losing weight rapidly!
  • jpbrimmer
    jpbrimmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Type 2 here so I don't really fit the bill. Just wanted to say bless you all and keep up the good work.
  • t1der
    t1der Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Btw, I just got my cholesterol results back, and my LDL’s are a little high. Have any of you been able to incorporate oatmeal into your diet without spiking your sugars? How about those overnight oats?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    All,

There is a type 1 group. It isn't very active, but it doesn't need to stay that way.

Otherwise, I've had type 1 for 22 years. I started with MDI, then switched to pumping in 2004 without ever looking back. During that time, I've used a few different pump companies and always seem to return to Medtronic. Currently I'm in the process of switching from the 530G to the 670G system, waiting on the transmitter and sensors (if you didn't know, those are very severely back-ordered partly because of the hurricane that hit factories in Puerto Rico a few months ago).

ETA Group link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/232-type-1-juvenile-diabetics