Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Article: "Why 90% of You Will Quit the Gym in Early 2017"

GOT_Obsessed
GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
This article was interesting for me.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-90-you-quit-gym-early-2015-paul-elsass-msm

Do you think it's statistically accurate?
Have you been a statistic in the past?
Any other reasons the author missed?
Discuss, discuss, discuss.

I will leave my thoughts till later after others have posted.

Replies

• I don't know if it's statistically accurate or not. I do know that I had the most luck with the gym when I joined a gym that had a personal trainers. I felt more encouraged and I worked harder. I was also less worried about doing something wrong and hurting myself because they corrected me if my form was off. Therefor I put a lot more effort into my weight training and wasn't afraid to lift heavier weights.

Going to the gym with a friend helped me get there (but only if they were motivated, if they weren't it was actually a deterrent) but it never did anything for my workout when I got there. (It didn't hinder it either though.)

In the end I'm unsure if his reasons really add up because most resolutions get forgotten early in the year no matter what they are.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    In my experience, people fail by not following tips 3 and 8:

Limit your gym time to 20-30 minutes...
    In other words, don't set your sights too high. People somehow get the idea that working out is going to be easy, once they make the decision to start. I've seen a lot of the "I'm going to stop smoking and start marathon training" crowd crash and burn week 1.

Stick with it for 21 days or more. Yup, it's not an instant fix. Who really thinks about the amount of time and effort it takes to get out of shape? You didn't get that belly after a week of pizza and tv; you're not going to have abs after a week of gym time, either.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Hmmm I don’t know.

If I limited my workout to 20minutes then I wouldn’t get it all in. My weightlifting rounds take between 35-45 minutes. Personally I would rather start as I mean to go on, with my full lifting program, so that I can just get into it and adapt to the knowledge of “this is what I need to do now.”

I’m not a group work out person. I don’t need a group or a trainer to keep me going. Or even want one. I LIKE being in my own head. Focused on the feel of my muscles and breathing. The only group activity I’m interested in is kickboxing.

I do agree to ignore cardio machines you don’t like. Why create a workout you can’t stand? But I also feel the same about weight machines. Or really ANY activity you don’t like.
    I use freeweights and then only use the machines I find very beneficial for accessory work. Yes sometimes leg extensions make me want to literally cry, but that’s because I go HARD. And I feel amazing when it’s done. But f#@k the treadmill!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Uhg. I've tried trainers, working out with friends or family and joining classes, and they really don't do it for me. I get a much better workout, and enjoy my time much more if I can ignore most of the other people and just zone out in my own world.
  • When I was going I went for an hour, five days a week. Twenty to thirty minutes wouldn't have felt worth the drive to get there.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Did anyone else notice that the article was actually written in 2015? It has no real baring on what’s written, other than to show another layer of laziness. They just changed the title to 2017. Literally rehashing bad data.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I don't like any social interaction when I workout. As soon as I took people away (home workouts in my gym) I finally stuck with it. I only have to deal with myself (which is annoying enough as it is.. haha)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't like any social interaction when I workout. As soon as I took people away (home workouts in my gym) I finally stuck with it. I only have to deal with myself (which is annoying enough as it is.. haha)

This is me. I hated waiting around for equipment, the awkwardness of halfway meeting people's eyes and sort of knowing people and not knowing them... just not my jam.

Exercise is my "me" time to zone out.

I'm much happier working out outside or at home. I don't mind saying hi to people outside because I can keep on running (after I maybe stop to pet a dog, dogs are always worth stopping for).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    If anyone has to have others involved to get them to exercise IMO, they will most likely fail. Also my thought is that if people want to go to the gym, they would be going now, not waiting until some magic day on the calendar to start.
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    I feel like this article is just trying to get you to spend money on training sessions or spend money on a whole membership. You have to be ready and want to be healthy, nobody else can do this for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    I've never joined a gym in January (seemed like the most awful time to do so). I have joined gyms and not gone. What I did was figure out what, for me, was important in a gym and led me to keep going. Upon thinking about this, I realized the two key things were (1) having a specific reason for wanting to have a gym in my life (not just "if I join a gym I will start working out" but "I want to use these specific weights/equipment or take these classes or use the pool that the gym has"), and (2) having it be super close to my office so I can go before work, after work (and I often work quite late, so it needs to be open late), or even if the middle of the day if I like -- flexibility and convenience.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    All I know is that I'm not looking forward to the crowded gym in January.

Don't worry......in my experience 2/3 of the people will be gone by March 01!

Now, I have not read that article...but I have read the posts here.

I think that the hardest part to getting people to the gym is the shear intimidation that they feel (Everyone is watching my fat *kitten* try to figure out how this dang thing works). And that is - for the most part - all in their head. I also find, unfortunately, that a ton of people today want results but don't want to put in ANY effort at all. Somehow they think that they just snap their fingers and....

But that is just my experience. Hopefully things will change and the gym will still be really full throughout the year. I would love to be inconvenienced by having to wait for the squat rack. That would mean that more and more people are getting fit.....I like that!
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    I been going to the gym for a few years now and I help(ed) out a few people here and there and this is what I gather from those who did and did not come back to the gym. It boiled down to 2 things, 1 they did commit to the "idea" of losing weight or building muscle, but they did not commit to the idea that they really had to do some kind of "work" at the gym AND at home. 2, some people do not they make themselves a priority, which leads to them doing for everyone else but them self, meaning they do not give themselves time to work on themselves. The article itself for me was trash, once a person committed to oneself, the workout, and the diet, the need for a social gathering is not needed!