Dog Walkers

Options
I have a 3 yr old cocker spaniel/shih Tzu mix that I adore.
However... lately I have not been able to spend much time with him and he is acting extremely needy and clingy. Every time I try to do something... tries to get in the way so that he can be pet. (Example... this morning I bent down to turn the shower on and he jumped in the tub (and got soaked) to get in the way.)

I go for walks at the park or track where dogs are not allowed or it’s just too hot to bring him for the amount of time I walk.

I know walking your dog is very beneficial for them, but I am wondering if it will help with his neediness. I love to cuddle and pet him, but I need him to be a little independent as well.

Do any of you have experience with this matter? And does it help?

How long should I walk him?

Your advice is appreciated!

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have a large dog who LOVES to walk with me. Before I moved to the city we walked 4 miles a day but now I walk him about 2 miles in the morning and then I plan to exercise without him after work. This way we both get exercise in the morning and I can do something else in the evening.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It is recommended a dog gets 40 minutes of excersize a day. Even though our dog is not leashed and free to roam around our land, she only does it when we are there with her. Dogs want to be with their owners and there is no substitute for the bonding you get when you take a walk together. I would suggest rethinking where you do your walks so you can take the dog. I have stopped going to the gym this summer and have replaced that time with an hour walk with the dog. it is part of being a pet owner.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Why don't you find somewhere that you can take him for a walk with you. You don't have to take him for YOUR whole walk but walk him and then continue on your walk after you take him out.
  • danbabcock
    Options
    Absolutely! He is young, and this is a bit of normal behavior. The more you tire him out walking, the more happy he will be. Dogs love walks - they hate to be just "there" awaiting your attention. Just dont expect a five mile walk out of him - probably a mile to mile and a half daily would be sufficient, beginning at a half mile first. He will likely be sore the first day or two, but will quickly learn to enjoy the walks. Take your cues from him - if he wants to go further, take him further. But, if the pavement is too hot (i.e. burns your feet without shoes), you may need to wait until it cools down. My huskies loved their walks, and always wanted to go further, even after 3 miles. Good luck and enjoy your time with him!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs and believe me, they NEED to walk. It provides them with exercise and stimulation as well as interaction with me. Sure, they could run around the back yard, but they don't. Kinda like I could do jumping jacks while watching TV...but I don't. One of my dogs is 180 lbs, 12 years old, and blind. In people terms, he is about 117 years old with back hips, cranky and blind. (And gassy but we won't get into that.) Even he wants to go for a walk every day. So when I get home from a long walk with my other dogs, I leash him up and we walk 3 houses up the street and then back home. Since he shuffles slowly, this takes him about 5 minutes, but he thinks he is a cool guy, walking the 'hood. So, I walk my younger boxers about a mile only since it is hot and up and down a steep hill, and just 3 houses for the big guy. I guess you could say you have to figure it out with your little dog. Go early or late so the sidewalk isn't hot. Don't want to burn the tootsies, and have some fun. Your dog wil be so much happier and healthier. It is really worth it.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, based on my experience...Walking your dog helps create a bond between the two of you and is great mental and physical exercise for them. For me, daily morning walks (before it gets too hot outside) are part of our routine and my dog is now very calm. When the weather is cooler, we go for up to 3 walks a day. Each walk is usually about 2 miles. Granted, she still enjoys regular belly rubs and hugs, but she is not constantly at my feet or begging for attention - she's usually tired out from the walks! Doggie daycare several times a week is also a godsend for keeping her active and socialized with other dogs.
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    I have a 3 year old chihuahua and she's very spoiled I always have to hold her or she has to be in my lap but when I have to do somthing I get her playing with a toy to get her attention on something

and my lollipop hates to be put on the outside she just stands there looking at me to pick her up then she sees my cat which she dosnt chase it but she wants to play with her its so adorable my little kitten amd my dog walking side by side iys adorable Ineed to get a picture of it
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a lab who needs a lot of walking, he gets about 1 hour with 100 F temperature and 2 to 3 hours when it is not so hot. He is a lab though and needs a lot of walking, so he gets another 1 hour or 2 swimming per day. Only know one friend with a Cocker Spaniel, but she lives in Germany with nice temperatures for that dog and he walks the dog 3 to 5 hours a day, mostly riding the bike.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have to Yorkie pups almost a year old. We walk two miles and they are quick little buggers.

Also a good activity is playing fetch. I was told the long walks are good but short bursts to play catch is very beneficial too but now can't remember why.

They love the attention I give them when they return the ball or toy rope.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    OMG! YES I DO! My chocolate lab is getting to be such a momma’s boy too. He is getting clingier than my own shadow. (If he was a dude I would have ditched his @$$.) I tried taking him with me for my run & he bails after a ¼ miles. He has a dog friend he plays with, by that last for about hour. My (adult) daughter told me to get him a full time friend to play with. The last thing I need is two dogs vying for my attention. I’m not sure what to do either…
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Taking it for a walk would definitely be helpful. My little puppy is the same way even the jump in the shower to get in the way thing. lol. She's a cockerspaniel-poodle mix. She's a sweetheart but she has a lot of energy and is definitely needy, but after we go on a walk even just a 15 minute one she is a lot better after we get home. Plus taking your dog for a walk is not only beneficial to them but for you because you're burning a few extra calories. And your dog will love you even more for it, it's a great way to bond with your pet.
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!! This definately helps! I think I will start taking him in the morning around my block and then drop him off at home when he gets tired.

I want my lil guy to be happy and healthy, especially fit for when he gets older. We usually wrestle and play chase around the house.. but I think some "pack" time will help him out!

and i never thought about dogs being sore from exercise, but it makes sense!!!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Proper training. i.e. needs to learn to not be all up in your biz. A good 'go lay down' is all it takes for our 1 yr old lab..
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Exercise and training.

My 1 yr old GSD will shadow me all day long...until I tell her "go lay down!" and then she will find a spot to lay down and pout until I move to another room. She is also so much more laid back on running days. I felt guilty taking her out for an hour long run the other morning, she seemed so tired by the end of it, but we got home, she flooded the kitchen while drinking, then went to find her ball to play in the living room while I crashed on the couch. Then she spent the rest of the day laying on an AC vent.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've got three large dogs. They need to run and play or go for a walk daily, regardless of how hot it is. Yes, they do crash harder afterwards when its really hot (drink tons of water and take long naps) but if I try to limit them or if I think its just too hot for them to go on a walk they will let me know I was wrong with crazy annoying attention...lol. Dogs are smart and typically very good at managing themselves when it comes to hydration and rest in hot weather.
  • Journey_2061
    Journey_2061 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just watch the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic or google his site. He will say give your dog exercise, discipline (basic training) and love (in that order) each day to help keep him balanced. Any amount of walking will be beneficial and you can discipline (train) while walking. I am sure there are plenty of sites to suggest walking techniques. My dog (River) and I practice heal, loose leash walking, sit, and turns. He loves it and so do I......
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have 4 boxers and if you don't know the breed, they are 'extremely needy' creatures both in time with their humans and exercise. It is too hot here to have them out during the day, but I was up at 6 this morning walking 2 of them! I agree with an earlier post that it helps them bond with you and certainly keeps them out of trouble with mischevious behavior later.
    MIne have slept all day!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Absolutely walk him. It's good for you and good for your dog. I think the consensus among dog trainers is 40-45 minutes a day.
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I have a pointer mix and he is absolutely a hellion if he does not get his walk every day. I took him for 2 miles today - maybe a bit too much, even though I didn't start until about 9pm. It took him a while to cool down which I found worrisome. In any case, our walks together have been fantastic. I like having the company, and he likes to see the sights and the other dogs. The times I have tried to go walking without him, it felt like a had a limb missing. I like to jog too, but he's only good for about 3/4 of a mile - probably because it's blasted hot in Dallas, TX. It's good training for both of us really!

Long story short, take your dog around the neighborhood a couple of times. What could it hurt?
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    I took my lil guy walking this morning, and I must say I have never had a more enthusiastic walking partner. we walked about a mile making two water stops, and we was still wanting to go for more when I had to get ready for work. I will walk him again this evening! I believe I found a new workout buddy for when my friend goes back to college haha. He tried to chase a few cats, but I am very stern on him walking beside me instead of going as he pleases, so he learned to just look very quickly!