Insatiable Hunger Everyday? :(

Hey guys!

So, I've been dealing with this insatiable hunger for the past two weeks (before that, it started after I switched to a different "supposedly more effective" type of iron for my anemia, but it left me extremely nauseated and hungry so I switched back to my previous type a few days ago... but the hunger has gotten worse and more frequent since I started exercising again, and eating more*).

*Eating more because I'm still in recovery from an eating disorder and didn't even realize I was still eating less than 600 calories/day until I started calorie-counting again 2wks ago, so I'm back to eating 3 meals/day, always something very healthy, started eating more meat as well. I try to get at least 1000 calories in per day, it's still a work in progress. I exercise 4-5 times per week, usually Monday-Friday... first week was 30 minutes of HIIT followed by 10 minutes of weight lifting/resistance training but it left me nearly passing out, so I dropped it down to 10 minutes of HIIT followed by 20-30 minutes of cardio, weight lifting/resistance training every other day.

I space meals out every 3-4 hours minimum, but every day, 20 minutes after eating, I feel an empty gnawing sensation in my stomach like I'm starving again, and the feeling gets worse and worse and doesn't go away until I eat again. :/
I drink a lot of water and have been for, well, years-- I also drink 3-4 green teas (decaf) per day, and 3 half-caff (or 2 half caff+1 decaf) coffee per day. I think (I hope--) it's starting to slowly ease up now, which makes me think it was something to do with my previous iron supplement, but I'm not sure, considering it got a lot worse after I started an exercise regimen again.

I'm 21, biologically female (trans, pre-T, so it's not HRT causing this). Anemic, currently taking a magnesium supplement, 150mg iron/day and 75mg ranitidine/day (I have GERD... I thought maybe it was a peptic ulcer but I was told ranitidine treats those and I've been taking it for months and it hasn't done anything for the hunger). It's really bizarre and honestly makes me feel terrible every single day. Thoughts? What do yous think this could be? Would you recommend any changes to my eating habits/workout regimen? Could this be increased metabolism, or maybe my body's in shock or something bc I started eating healthier amounts of food...?

Replies

• PSx3
    PSx3 Posts: 2 Member
    Eat more. Let go of the "bizarre" ideas of metabolism and shock.

I said bizarre because the feeling I get is bizarre. I never said "the idea of metabolism" is bizarre.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You are eating 1000 calories and exercising more. Result is more hunger. You need to fuel your activity. Eat more calories.
    The minimum reccomended calories is 1200. You should probably be eating much more than that with your age and activity.

Change the type of foods you are eating not just quantity. Get fuller fat dairy. Have some guacamole or hummus. Eat some bread or pasta. Drink milk or juice instead of water or tea sometimes. Eat some nuts.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited December 2017
    From what I understand- once you increase calories from an extreme deficit it is natural for you to become VERY hungry! So eat! You're body is begging for proper nutrition. And- what is your goal? Are you trying to maintain weight? Gain weight? If your plan is to begin hormone therapy at some point, you would have to be healthy to effectively proceed down this path. You seem to have a lot going on-I sincerely hope you are receiving professional guidance.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    I think the answer is obvious and you know it. You are eating starvation level.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    edited December 2017
    Anybody who eats that little and exercises that much will be extremely hungry - your body is simply having a normal, healthy response to how you're hurting it. That's a good thing. Be happy about it, and as everybody else has said, tell your doctors/therapists about it and EAT MORE.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Undereating and over-exercising are bound to make you severely hungry. If you are still in recovery and your support team do not know you are calorie counting again, you should not be on MFP.