Stupid condensed soup question

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
TL;DR Is the serving size for condensed soup only, or soup + water?

So I ate tomato soup last night. Gave myself 1/2 cup (125 mL) prepared soup (condensed with water). The can doesn't say prepared or condensed, just 125 mL serving. I know water doesn't have calories, but it does have volume. 125 mL is pretty tetchy, but maybe I'm used to doubled serving sizes. I normally drink a packet of broth and don't have this (possible over-thinking) issue, but I learned tomato soup can be lower sodium (hbp for me).

giphy12.gif

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you use the old recipe tool to add 1 can of tomato soup (weighed), one can of milk (weighed), and add the two weights together, you get a higher calorie value than you would if you used only one can of water (weighed). In either case, the sum of the weights of the things you added to the soup is the number of servings. When you weigh the soup in your bowl, it will have some weight, perhaps 250 g, and you log 250 servings of soup.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you use the old recipe tool to add 1 can of tomato soup (weighed), one can of milk (weighed), and add the two weights together, you get a higher calorie value than you would if you used only one can of water (weighed). In either case, the sum of the weights of the things you added to the soup is the number of servings. When you weigh the soup in your bowl, it will have some weight, perhaps 250 g, and you log 250 servings of soup.

That is high-level math my stupid brain can't comprehend.

tenor.gif

I have a can of Campbell's condensed tomato soup. Says 125 mL serving on can. Is that only for the condensed soup, or is that prepared with water? I would think (and this is where I get even stupider) it means condensed (nothing added), but why would you spoon out 125 mL of condensed soup and then add water (or whatever) when I'm making the whole can?

Did I screw myself out of extra soup because I measured prepared soup when the label means only condensed soup?
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Campbell's soups give nutrition data for only the condensed soup itself. That's what the label says.

They probably give the data that way because people like to make it with milk or with more or less water.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Nutrition labels have to contain info for the food as packaged. So condensed soup nutrition would be for the soup itself only. Many (like instant potatoes or oatmeal) also give “as prepared” values but they have to have “as packaged” on there.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    .. am I the only one who never made tomato soup with milk?? Lol I didn't even know this was a thing until I worked at the nursing home and someone asked me to make it with milk
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The info is for the soup without water added.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup only had the calories for it prepared with milk. Annoys me no end, because I never make it to the directions.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    .. am I the only one who never made tomato soup with milk?? Lol I didn't even know this was a thing until I worked at the nursing home and someone asked me to make it with milk

That's the only way I've ever made it, including how I did for lunch today