Alcohol?

Options

Replies

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Every time I read people that have wine daily, I always assume they have an addiction or are close to it. If you feel like you can't cut out wine for a month, maybe you should look closer at your drinking habits. I rarely drink (1-3 times a year), but multiple times a week seems excessive to me.

I drink 5 oz. wine most evenings. Trust me it's not an addiction. I dislike feeling buzzed, and even when sharing an occasional bottle over a nice dinner I don't drink more than two glasses. I would never feel the need to cut it out for a month just to prove I can. Different people are different.

Good for you.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Every time I read people that have wine daily, I always assume they have an addiction or are close to it. If you feel like you can't cut out wine for a month, maybe you should look closer at your drinking habits. I rarely drink (1-3 times a year), but multiple times a week seems excessive to me.

Just because someone has wine daily does not mean they have an addiction or it is excessive for them. It is very normal in many cultures to enjoy it with dinner.

I realize that. I said it seems excessive to me. I said I assume they have an addiction or are close to it.

That's quite the assumption.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Just because someone has wine daily does not mean they have an addiction or it is excessive for them. It is very normal in many cultures to enjoy it with dinner.

I realize that. I said it seems excessive to me. I said I assume they have an addiction or are close to it.

That's quite the assumption.

Sure is.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am trying to quit completely. I found that I would use up calories that could be spent on nourishing food and saving them for empty ones in wine. Then I would have a couple more because hey, I had saved the calories and I deserved it and it would only be a little over goal, and still under maintenance, then I finished the bottle and ate 3 grilled cheeses because I was starving because I saved my food points for wine.

anyhoo...I'm sure that's not the case with you, except if it is you may consider quitting totally ;)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot, mostly beer. In a week, I probably drink about 3 six packs. I make room for it in my diet and if that means no dinner so I can drink more, so be it. I actually consider it to be carb loading for some heavy lifting sessions or longer runs.

Bottom line- plan it into your day and if you have to take something else out, then see what you can skip. Or, burn extra calories at the gym.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Many doctors suggest wine daily. Are they suggesting folks develop an addiction?

I am definitely not saying that a glass of wine a day is an addiction though it might be...if you NEED that glass of wine. But a lot of doctors are also alcoholics and every bit as good at justifying as anybody else. Studies are increasingly showing no benefits to drinking alcohol and that even the famous heart benefits from red wine are the same as drinking a glass of grape juice without the cancer causing effects of alcohol. just sayin.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don’t drink daily, generally have 3/4 days clear a week. It’s more cutting it back on the 3/4 days I do. I enjoy it like others would candy or crisps. I realize it’s empty calories & do a lot of running to compensate. I will probably do a dry January to boost the weight loss & prep for a half marathon. Was after advice from others as to how you’ve achieved it & some nice other drinks.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I also am trying to get a grip on this, and it would probably be better if I cut it out altogether, but I kinda love my nightly wine. What I'm doing lately, and this seems to work, it to have two glasses, each with 1/4 cup of wine, very carefully measured out. I find winging the measuring doesn't work. This makes me feel like I'm having more than I am. I've also stopped drinking any wine a couple of days a week, usually Mon and Tues., and may expand that to more days or start limiting the wine to just weekends. Have substituted Celestial Seasonings herbal tea after dinner on the nonwine days, and it's pretty satisfying. I also love diet gingerale and diet tonic and lime.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    I also am trying to get a grip on this, and it would probably be better if I cut it out altogether, but I kinda love my nightly wine. What I'm doing lately, and this seems to work, it to have two glasses, each with 1/4 cup of wine, very carefully measured out. I find winging the measuring doesn't work. This makes me feel like I'm having more than I am. I've also stopped drinking any wine a couple of days a week, usually Mon and Tues., and may expand that to more days or start limiting the wine to just weekends. Have substituted Celestial Seasonings herbal tea after dinner on the nonwine days, and it's pretty satisfying. I also love diet gingerale and diet tonic and lime.

Well done you! I think it’s about getting the balance. I will get measuring as well.
  • angel88mil
    angel88mil Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm with you !!! Wine is a Great thing ! And as long as it fits in your plan were good !
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Moderation and count the calories. Stay within your calorie goal for the day. Other than that, no problem. General health recommendation are no more than 6 to 8 ounces per day for a women and 12 to 16 ounces for men per day.

You have the right idea on moderation, but actually the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend no more that 1, 5 oz glass of wine for women and 2 for men.

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-9/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,716 Member
    Options
    I don’t drink daily, generally have 3/4 days clear a week. It’s more cutting it back on the 3/4 days I do. I enjoy it like others would candy or crisps. I realize it’s empty calories & do a lot of running to compensate. I will probably do a dry January to boost the weight loss & prep for a half marathon. Was after advice from others as to how you’ve achieved it & some nice other drinks.

This seems pretty sensible overall. I'm sorry that others have derailed your thread to argue about how much wine is too much. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    5 oz red wine daily, metformin, exercise, weight loss. Supposedly those will help you live longer, but then you have get diabetes first to get the metformin script and it all seems so confusing to me.

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I like the mini wine bottles - just right for me. I also enjoy the occasional cider or light beer on a hot day, but the ones I drink are not generally low calorie.

I also enjoy nice teas in the evening instead of a wine - we get the "good stuff" from specialty shops and find them a big step up from our old supermarket tea bags! Like wines, there's definitely a range of tastes and styles.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I feel you, OP.

I do make room for some wine in my calorie budget, but it does take up valuable food-space.

I don't know what your "routine" is, but for me wine comes after dinner, like a treat with a movie. If I don't have a glass of wine, I feel like some other snacks. So I actually consume less calories having wine than candy. Half a bottle of wine comes in at 300 cals, but that lasts you all night. 300 calories worth of chocolate is NOTHING and I consume it no time at all. So it actually makes more sense as a treat for me.

This might sound strange, but sometimes I go to bed very early, simply to avoid the late-night cravings. The bonus is I wake up early too, and might get a chance at some morning exercise. If I exercise in the morning, I get very tired at night and want to sleep early. And so it goes.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Check out the Challenges thread. There is a December one re alcohol - it is not necessarily for those wanting to give up completely… useful though for those of us who want to cut down.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I had to stop drinking wine altogether to see real progress. In maintenance, I allow myself 2 five oz glasses per week, and make them count. I never, ever drink at home unless it’s a dinner party or holiday with a group.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started 2017 off (after A LOT of holiday drinking) with a 60 day challenge: only social drinking allowed (and me and my husband drinking together at home did NOT mean social). It helps that I’m not a super social person. I did the challenge a few other times throughout the year. It really helped me stick to it knowing I could drink if I wanted to, just not at home unless we had guests.

Not only did it help get a handle on my drinking, which was excessive, it helped me lose about 15-20 pounds. I still drink, but it’s a lot less. Limiting myself to social drinking-only broke the habit of me coming home from work and immediately pouring myself a glass of wine, something I’ve only been indulging in once or twice a week now.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I made a deal with myself to only have wine on weekends while trying to lose. A lifestyle that doesn’t allow wine can suck it