Others way to monitor progress other than the scale

Hi all - In the past I have been over reliant on my bathroom scales, making me obsessed by my weight.

I now want to make a lifelong lifestyle change and ultimately I want to loose weight , however I am nervous about getting the bathroom scales out again.

What are the best ways to measure weight loss progress without weighing yourself?

Thanks all !

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    The scale is the most accurate tool for measuring weight lost, just keep in mind that it doesn't give you the whole picture: Your body consists of many different things that have different density, and some of them fluctuate, often quite a lot, in short cycles, so your weight is a range, not a number, and the readings are only snapshots, so you need to weigh yourself regularly and often, under comparable circumstances, and over long periods. When you assess your weight, you look at the trend, and use it as a neutral feedback and a help to adjust your behavior.

Of course you can use a pair of slim fitting jeans instead. It's cruder, but use whatever method that doesn't stress you out. Stress eating is a real threat.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited December 2017
    Using a measuring tape and monitoring my inches lost worked great for me when I was losing.

I was also obsessed with the scale at one point. When I decided to pay more attention to my tape measure, I realized that was a better fit for my goals (fat loss). Especially at one point when I lost 2 full dress sizes, but only about 5 pounds on the scale.

To keep my readings accurate, I took a pic of my full body, printed it out and marked the areas where I measured. Then I record my results once a month in my food/exercise journal. I find it amazing going back and seeing how much inches I've lost in certain areas.

Also taking personal photos and comparing them side by side worked for me too. It made it easier to physically see progress.

I've been maintaining my 80+ pound loss for a few years now, but when I first made the transition I had a pair of non-stretchy jeans that told me all that I needed to know.

Good luck!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    For most of my journey I did not weigh myself. Now I am in maintenance I do, but that has been a late into the journey addition. One I started weighing myself I only weighed on a monthly basis to avoid becoming obsessed.
    Initially I used: Clothes. We all have something we can't wear anymore and possibly even have something we thought we'd never ever would be able to wear again, but keep due to emotional attachments
    Measurements of my body (waist, thighs etc) As I sew and knit this was quite an eye opener for me how quickly those changed.
    Endurance and sports: increase distances, adding weights. Though they don't really go together with the weightless per definition for me at least they helped in the feel good factor.
  • Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to respond :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I take frequent progress photos, take measurements (usually once a month), how my clothes fit, gym progress (strength or performance)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,165 Member
    Scale and clothes are my tools. I suck at taking measurements and I get very frustrated with the results. I never took any pictures. Try different methods and see what works better for you.