Meal replacement help!

Options
I'm so busy at work I barely have time to eat. My diet will suffer most here if I don't find a way to sub some protein, carbs and cals. Any suggestions??

Replies

• ColtRocker
    ColtRocker Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I hope some good commentary comes from your question. I'm in the same boat so I have to drink a protein shake sometimes but I just don't know if their good for you or not.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When I don't have time to eat proper meals, I like making "snack boxes" I can pick at when I have the opportunity.
    Chicken pieces, meatballs/burger patties, hb eggs, egg muffins, crackers and vegies with dip, cheese, protein bars, yoghurt pots with cereal, energy balls/bass etc.

Drinking cals (smoothies with protein etc) may help too.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. Peel them ahead of time.
    Peanut butter. Take a jar with you and a measuring spoon or two.
    Bagels.
  • nickbullett
    nickbullett Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I buy big boxes of meal replacement shakes and protein bars at costco.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm so busy at work I barely have time to eat. My diet will suffer most here if I don't find a way to sub some protein, carbs and cals. Any suggestions??

just eat before and after work?
  • natester15
    natester15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ColtRocker wrote: »
    I hope some good commentary comes from your question. I'm in the same boat so I have to drink a protein shake sometimes but I just don't know if their good for you or not.

They can be good for you. Just depends on which ones you get.
  • natester15
    natester15 Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm so busy at work I barely have time to eat. My diet will suffer most here if I don't find a way to sub some protein, carbs and cals.

There is an awesome recipe for some no bake protein balls that are actually very good nutritionally speaking.
    Another alternative that's pretty quick and easy is a cup of Greek yogurt with fruit or a protein shake.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Meal prep. As much as possible. A lot of people will do their cooking | boxing for the week on Sundays. Everything is nice and labeled and you just grab and go each day. I eat several times a day and have most of my food prepped (or kept in the office kitchen so that I just grab and eat). I keep a lot of food in the office so that it is there. I travel several days out of the month so I make sure that I have that day's food already prepped.

It is really simple. It just is not so easy (for some reason).

Does this sound like something that you could do?
  • babyrn75
    babyrn75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! That is a challenge I have as well working in the medical field. Emergencies don’t stop for a lunch break. For snacks I usually have 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 spark for flavor and energy. I always have a high quality meal replacement shake or bar for something quick and healthy I can trust so I am less tempted to stray to a less healthy option.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I take bars with me in my bag. Quest, rxbar, Luna, or generic meal bars.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Labrada "hi-protein" MRPs, especially the strawberry ice cream flavor* in single-serving pouches. Mixes easily in water (with a shaker cup). Surprisingly delicious even mixed in water. (Although it you're trying to add some calories, mix it in milk).

*My last batch had different packaging and was just strawberry flavor instead of strawberry ice cream. It also doesn't mix quite as well. Not sure if they sent the wrong variety or if they changed the formulation. I'm guessing the latter.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can try protein powder/shakes. I personally can't get them down.

Best bet is protein bars. I like clifs.

What helps me is to make a high calorie fruit smoothie: almonds, peanut butter, flaxseeds, Avocado, berries, banana, and juice as the liquid. It's delicious and portable plus it's a good 1000cals if you do it right and has a good amount of protein.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    I usually skip lunch because I work 1-5 but when I want something I just drink my calories.

I usually alternate between these
    -Starbucks Mocha Frapp (bought in the bottles)
    -Kiju Orange Mango Juice
    - Carnations Breakfast Essentials
    - 1% Chocolate Milk (500 ml)
    - Bolthouse Farms Berry Boost (1.5 cup)
    or
    - Simply Orange Orange Juice (1.5 cup)
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I use SPIZ Energy (spiz.net) as a meal replacement and also as supplement mixed with 8 oz of milk in a Vitamix Blender. I buy the chocolate flavor. 125 calories per scope so you can adjust your calorie intake. Good info on their website.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    There are so many quick solutions. Check your diary to see what you are lacking. There are so many good foods mentioned but some are mistakenly listed as protein when it's mostly fat/carbs, look at labels for the calories/fat/protein/carbs and especially sodium and sugar as so many packaged food has added sodium and sugar. Drink lots of water. I totally get the "too busy" in our modern life, some weeks we have time to meal prep and sometimes not so much. Me, I Iike egg whites, protein powder, yogurt, fruit, a good greens product, almond milk, make sure to get some fresh produce for the fiber.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    arenavles wrote: »
    Alright i see some of you are skipping meals which is very bad people. We all have busy lifes so what i do is i cook three days max worth of food(i like it frwsh) and keep it in fridge. You need to get at least five meals a day in you as your metabolism has to keep burning all the time. Protein shakes? There is nothing wrong with them just read the label and try to get some without or next to no fat. If you cant bring your meals then try with some apples oranges pears thise little peanut butter containers you find at restaurants. Also buy some mixed nuts like almonds which are perfect for a quick snack.

5 meals a day? Ya no. I have 3 and some snacks. My metabolism works just fine thanks. Whatever works to get the calories in
  • laurenp0012
    laurenp0012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Meal prep. As much as possible. A lot of people will do their cooking | boxing for the week on Sundays. Everything is nice and labeled and you just grab and go each day. I eat several times a day and have most of my food prepped (or kept in the office kitchen so that I just grab and eat). I keep a lot of food in the office so that it is there. I travel several days out of the month so I make sure that I have that day's food already prepped.

It is really simple. It just is not so easy (for some reason).

Does this sound like something that you could do?

Sure does I only meal prep 3 days a week now!
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time teacher, from 7AM to 4:30PM and meal prepping is such a big deal for me!!!
    How I meal prep is different than others just because I like my food fresh. I plan out my meals every day for the week, but take the time to cook it. For lunch, I make myself a delicious chocolate vitamin shake (mini fridge in my office helps keep my ingredients cold/frozen) and will have carrots as a snack between lunch and dinner.
  • farmertg63
    farmertg63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the Meal Replacement Bars some of them are loaded with sugar. If your going to do a Protein Shake, get a good quality one, check the sugar in it as well. I'm a big fan of a snack box that I make myself, Chicken, Nuts, Celery, Broccoli Flolrets w/ranch, etc...