Nipples itching and burning sensation

Options
Hi,
I am a male, 26 years, 170 cms, 167 pounds.
I am running from a month or so. Now I have started running 12 kms in an hour.

The issue is I am experiencing burning sensation and itching kind of things in nipples.
What could be a possible solutions to avoid this ?
Also, a dry blackish layer has come up over nipples after my last run

Kindly give me solutions for this.
I am aiming to run at least 20 kms.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking any pre work out or energy gels?
  • abhijeetchar
    abhijeetchar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking any pre work out or energy gels?
    Nopes I don't know what are they ?
    I don't know how to avoid it.
    I only bought some anti-fungal powder that I apply after bath but seems like it does not help.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I did the great north run years ago and was surprised at how many men had bleeding nipples from where their t-shirts had been rubbing against them. That black layer sounds like dried blood.

Try looser fitting tops. Some of the men on the run had tape/plasters over their nipples to stop the chafing but removal would be painful IMO.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    That black layer sounds like dried blood.
    Yeah sounds like blood tmi warning: I got black nipples from breastfeeding babies. Not fun.

I get massive friction wounds from where my sports bra rubs (around the rib cage *and* in the cleavage) unless I'm liberal with the petroleum jelly, for anything longer than say 100 minutes of running. I absolutely piled it on before my marathon last weekend and came away almost wound free (damn that errant clasp...)
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Put some body glide on your nips ?I run a little less than 50 km per week but I hear that stuff helps, or just change what you run in.
  • aliyusaf
    aliyusaf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a male, 26 years, 170 cms, 167 pounds.
    I am running from a month or so. Now I have started running 12 kms in an hour.

The issue is I am experiencing burning sensation and itching kind of things in nipples.
    What could be a possible solutions to avoid this ?
    Also, a dry blackish layer has come up over nipples after my last run

Kindly give me solutions for this.
    I am aiming to run at least 20 kms.

Friends recommend a thickish layer of vaseline over the nipples before a run. Personally, I find that some days you get it, some days you don't. When you have the shower after a run is when you discover it.

Owwww!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've tried body glide, vaseline, band aids, nip guards etc etc etc and the only thing I've found that works 100% of the time is wearing a compression top under my running shirt.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I did the great north run years ago and was surprised at how many men had bleeding nipples from where their t-shirts had been rubbing against them. That black layer sounds like dried blood.

Try looser fitting tops. Some of the men on the run had tape/plasters over their nipples to stop the chafing but removal would be painful IMO.

If it's from chafing (and it sounds like it is), you could try and apply a thin layer of Vaseline or aquaphor to your nips before you run. Also, I agree with looser fitting tops.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »

If it's from chafing (and it sounds like it is), you could try and apply a thin layer of Vaseline or aquaphor to your nips before you run. Also, I agree with looser fitting tops.

I hadn't thought of Vaseline. I didn't do any training before the "run" so it hadn't occurred to me that it might be a problem. But after the run I noticed guys bleeding from their nipples and others with tape/plasters. I wouldn't have been able to see their Vaseline.

Luckily I didn't experience it after the "run" either
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    A small piece of tape will prevent this. I have a roll of 3M First Aid tape I've been using for years. Simple and effective.
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brian above. I always wear a compression shirt as a base and have had zero issues.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    As a woman I have never had this issue and i suspect it is because I am wearing a sports bra. I agree with the person above wear a compression shirt or just go shirtless xD
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The dry blackish layer is a scab--perfectly normal for an abrasion. Aquaphor now will help it heal.