Fitbit. Worth it or not?

Options
Hesitant to splash the cash if its not going to benefit. Anybody got a review, good or bad?

Replies

• cparkburke
    cparkburke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find it useful to track sleep and general daily activity. I think the step challenges and getting the badges are fun, too! I have a Flex 2, and I think it's a good value.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying my fitbit flex 2 (which I got free through my husband's work), but I'm thinking about upgrading to a Garmin vivo smart hr. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get heart rate monitoring and gps. I'm really not sure. Currently I'm carrying my phone to track my runs.

I find the fitbit really does motivate me to keep active.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the Blaze, which has both the heart rate, sleep monitoring, and GPS functions. I LOVE it. I have bands that I swap out for work and exercise and fancier stuff. Well worth the investment to me. It's definitely interesting to track your activity, whether it just be steps, active minutes, heart rate trends, sleep phases, workouts, flights of stairs...
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I had a Flex for years, and just got an Alta for my birthday a few weeks ago, which does heart rate as well (and alerts me when my mobile phone is ringing when it's on silent in the office!).
    I like the step data as it helps remind me to be at least a bit active on the weekends, instead of totally vegging out.
    The sleep data is also nice, and the badges are fun too.

I'm a bit of a data nerd, but I like mine a lot!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It didn't measure accurately for me. It was underestimating my calorie usage by a huge amount (like saying I used less than 1,000 calories a day, even with working out, which I would guess is probably untrue for anyone), I think because I have problems with low blood pressure. But, I got it free from my MIL who loved hers so much she upgraded to a better one, so I wasn't too upset about it. However, I've noticed that, though she loves hers, MIL's put on weight, so she may not be using it like she's supposed to.

Even with those two unsuccessful FitBit stories to guide me, I still don't want to say that it won't be useful. It obviously is for some people. I think mwpennybacker gave the best advice: Buy the cheap model, see if it's something you'll use and that works for you, and then you can think about upgrading.
  • brrite
    brrite Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it, as long as you act on the data it collects. It's not really good enough to track your activity, but you have to do something with that data. I just use a little Fitbit Zip to track my steps and MapMyFitness for logging other workouts. I lost about 70 pounds using the data and acting on it. I also have a Garmin now to track my runs, but that's a fairly new addition. The Fitbit Zip and MMF were enough for me until I actually started training for races.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit One, loved it, then upgraded to the Alta...love it even more!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of clip Fitbits over the years and really enjoyed them. I ended up with an AW but I probably would have got the wrist one otherwise. I love tracking the data and having a history of info and goals to meet.
  • kimb00p
    kimb00p Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started with the Fitbit Flex a few years ago and now have the Alta. It definitely made me more conscious about my activity level and everyday I strive to take the stairs rather than the elevator, or walk to the furthest restroom at work to get in those few extra steps.

I got Fitbits for both my parents and honestly they never wear them unless I tell them I'm setting up a challenge ahead of time and then they'll only wear it for those days. My husband stopped wearing his when he got a Leatherman bracelet for his birthday.

However, I have been wearing mine 24/7 for years. I charge it when I'm in the car or when I know I'm going to be sitting for atleast 15 minutes (because that's how long it takes to charge and it stays charged for 7 days). I love that it tracks my activity, sleep, calories burned, and distance. I can log my food intake, log my weight daily and see graphs and charts of my progress (or un-progress).

Oh, and it can tell time too.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've had my Charge 2 for three days, so the novelty hasn't worn off yet. But so far, I like it a lot more than I'd anticipated.
    - I moved a lot more both yesterday and today than I would have without it. I didn't realize how much of a layabout I am on weekends.
    - I like the heartrate data, because I like data in general. It says I'm running too fast (alas, true).
    - I like the sleep data. Apparently, I wake up a lot at night (true; I remember the wakings it picks up, but hadn't realized how much they break my night up)
    - The calorie counts are ridiculously off, in that my normal activity burns more calories than the Fitbit assumes, and exercise burns less. (I have a giant spreadsheet that gives me that data.)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I borrowe a clip on one about 18 month ago. I decided a step tracker wasn't for me.
    I spend a lot of time around the house, studio, and garden, and found that trying to get a certain number of steps in (1000) cut down on my everyday full body movements.
    I would rather use my whole body doing useful movements, or things I like, than worry about steps.

That being said, if you spend most of your day sitting, you may find it encourages you to move more.

Cheers, h.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it. I started with the Flex 2, which I have loved. I give a thumbs up to any Fitbit product with one caveat,

Do not think anything it tells you is fact, use the data and compare it against yourself and improve over time. Too many times people think that 10,000 steps is 10,000 and it can really be 9,000 or 10,800. It is all relative.

Also be warned, it can be addictive, I have now upgrade to the Garmin Vivosmart 3 for the heart rate data and I am wondering how I ever lived without it.
  • nepen8e
    nepen8e Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got a Charge 2 for a few days. I'm really much more excited with it that I thought I would be .. It made me want to do stuff all day to get better stats and more active time. I keep trying to sneak in exercises that I wouldn't before.
    HR data seem pretty accurate.. comparing with polar strap HR and elliptical machine HR.
    I want to use it for weight loss and I'm still trying to figure out how the calories burnt are accurate. Workout calories burnt seem ok to me maybe even a bit underestimated. What worries me is it is giving me too many calories for walking ? But maybe it isn't wrong I mean it estimates it from HR. I'm gonna follow an eating plan according to fitbit estimations about my burnt calories and see how that works. If I gain lose or maintain.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    First I have a fitbit Ionic and I really like it. you dont need the top of the line stuff really. what is most important is that you are able to change the lifestyle and stick with it.

What other things are you planning to do on your journey? gym membership? Food scale? The one thing is no matter how much techno stuff you have, nothing works unless you put the work in.

Like someone else mentioned no matter what step counter you get the accuracy is not spot on. Example is I noticed when I was cutting the grass with my riding mower I was getting steps counted. There has also been times where I have been walking around the house and doing that look down and up and watching the step count. I noticed it not counting steps at times. I look at it this way it all evens out I guess in the end.

In the end I guess it is what you want. People years ago successfully lost weight without any of these tech gadgets.
  • akionabr
    akionabr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just got my charge 2 a few days ago. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I do. I absolutely love seeing my progress and being reminded to move every so often. It really keeps my health in mind.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Ionic. I absolutely love it. Before the Ionic, I had a Fitbit Surge. Like others have said, it really depends on you and what your goal are. Good luck.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a watch or anything similar? I don't like having things on my wrist, I take my fitbit off several times a day, and often forget to put it back on. I also feel negative pressure to hit a certain number of steps a day if I wear a fitbit, so I often don't bother putting it on.

I think it depends what kind of person you are. If you are the kind that just likes collecting data and doesn't play head games with yourself, than go for it.

Agreed! For anyone who obsesses and plays negative head games with themselves they’re not a good idea. I would obsess and then beat myself up for not meeting goals, and would be more likely to give up altogether. I don’t wear one anymore.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yeah, realistic goals are important.
    FitBit actually reviews my goal once a year automatically, and suggested I put my daily step goal down to 9,500.
    I then moved house, increased my commute (including the walking part) and now easily get 12,000 most days!
    Most Sundays I get less, sometimes as few as 4,000.
    I have been known to walk around the house before bed if I'm 100 steps short, but otherwise I don't feel pressured by it.
    I try and make sure I'm over 70,000 steps a week though. I guess it's the same as the weekly approach to calorie counting. Some days you're over, some days you're under, but the long term trend and average is what's really important for your health.