Share your running success stories!

Options
Hi! I’m a beginner runner and I’ve been looking for a little inspiration lately. Anyone have any empowering stories?

Replies

• kt26
    kt26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow JessicaMcB what an awe-inspiring story you have! If that doesn't give a 'little inspiration' to OP as requested I'm not sure what will.. Congrats on ur accomplishments.
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Wow, JessicaMcB - thanks for the inspiration and advice. Like remmus102, I just started running, first on the treadmill (which can get boring) and yesterday ran on the street for the first time. Much more interesting and challenging! Good to know that my stubbornness can come in handy. I’ll keep at it and see where it takes me (literally and figuratively!).
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    kt26 wrote: »
    Wow JessicaMcB what an awe-inspiring story you have! If that doesn't give a 'little inspiration' to OP as requested I'm not sure what will.. Congrats on ur accomplishments.
    tlsb2016 wrote: »
    Wow, JessicaMcB - thanks for the inspiration and advice. Like remmus102, I just started running, first on the treadmill (which can get boring) and yesterday ran on the street for the first time. Much more interesting and challenging! Good to know that my stubbornness can come in handy. I’ll keep at it and see where it takes me (literally and figuratively!).

Thank you :) . @tlsb2016 if you have trail near you you should try that too if you're comfortable. I run almost exclusively tech trail, it is an experience and privilege unique in life to be able to fly trail
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I started running in my mid 50's. Never ran before, in fact DH and I would make fun of runners we saw on the streets with their grimace and sweat. I'm now 61. I've run 5Ks, 10ks, half marathons, and this past January ran a full marathon. I never thought I would be able to run over a mile. I've placed in my age group on the shorter races (benefit is not that many women run in my age group). Start short and slow. GET GOOD SHOES. Increase distance wisely. Don't worry about pace - that will come later. Get the distance first. If you can find a running partner - they are invaluable. Runners are the greatest people. Good luck. I'm pulling for you
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm what you would call an "adult on-set runner." Haha. I am in a group that I found here on MFP. One that @JessicaMcB wows us on every day!!! She is awesome.

It gives me the motivation to keep getting out there. I used to run in the Navy because I had to. This year, I had to go into the hospital for major surgery and was the highest weight I have ever been! So at 41 (almost 42) I started to lose the weight. I started by just walking and then one day wanted to go faster. So I did Couch 2 5k and finished in Sept and ran my first 5K. Man was I slow. LOL. I did a Turkey trot on Thanksgiving and I am already 8 minutes faster. It comes with time. I am now down 50 lbs (about 1/2 to goal) and training for a Triathlon in March.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I'm also an adult on-set runner. I always saw running as a punishment b/c the sports I played growing up...if you messed up you ran. So, until I was almost 40 I didn't run. I'd do anything else cardio but not running. Then one day I just got on a treadmill and started walking. Once I was confident doing that I started running, then I went outside and started running and never looked back. There is nothing like running outside and breathing that fresh air and just going until you are tired, then turning around and running back to where you started. :)
    I've had two babies in the last two years and I'm going to get back to running as soon as my little one is sleeping through the night.
    I love love love running and hope to never give it up.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You're all an inspiration and make we want to strap on my shoes and go for a run. Thank you! But, mandabeth34, your story had me literally in tears. I don't know you, but I feel SO happy that your story had a happy ending and thank you so much for sharing it with us. All the best to all of you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!