Self-care basket for friend starting weight loss journey?

Options
Hello! I am hoping to put to gather a basket of (non-food) "goodies" for a friend starting a weight loss journey. As I have recently lost ~50 pounds, this friend has shared their plans with me and I would love to show support. I am trying to put together a basket of self-care type items for her. I would LOVE anyone's suggestions here! I am thinking things like bubble bath, a good foot lotion, etc? Would love to hear anyone's ideas on here! Thanks so much!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Food scale and some cook books. Epsom salts.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Great idea! How about a pedometer; some light, hand-held weights; one of those wrist pouches that hold your keys, etc., while walking? An itunes or other gift card so she can download workout music. Healthy snacks, workout clothes. If you're in a cold climate, gloves, mittens, and/or a scarf for walking outdoors in the cold weather.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Also, an appropriate workout DVD or online subscription to one of those workout sites. I'm not too familiar with the latter, but I like my Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" DVD.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Depending how much your planning to spend, gift certificate for massage therapist, gym, or personal training session. Small towel for sweating, swim goggles, t-,shirt, water bottle
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Bluetooth earbuds!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,265 Member
    Options
    If she's into some kind of fitness, maybe a magazine that would have motivating articles, pictures, etc. Or a Cooking Light magazine with lots of good recipes she could try.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    A food scale definitely! A good water bottle. Sugar Free Gum. A homemade recipe book of all the recipes you found helpful.

This is an awesome idea. Way to support your friend!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    A paid subscription to the free portion of MFP? :)

Food scale would be my number 1.
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. How unbelievably sweet and supportive of you! I like the ideas of a nice water bottle, maybe a list of some of your favorite workout songs, cards for your favorite recipes, bath salts or bath bombs. A pack that can be heated or frozen for when muscles/joints need a little relief in either direction, hair ties (or headbands) and dry shampoo if she has plans to work out during the day. A journal that allows her to put in information and track her progress with before photos, measurements, etc.

I really like that you are doing this. Really awesome on your part. And congrats on your own journey!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I'd also add lotion. It's cheap but a nice filler. I work out quite often so I'm showering a lot, so my skin has been getting dry.

A nice workout headband
    Facewash
    Toiletries to take to the gym
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Fancy sparkling water. Hair ties. Food prep containers. Some favorite shelf-stable staple foods you like.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this idea! I'd throw in some good socks, your favorite low calorie snacks, maybe even some recipe cards for your favorite big batch meals with the calories already calculated out for meal prep days to make it easy to begin.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    A gift card to someplace with lots of healthy options for eating? (Subway for example, or a coffee/tea place) Eating healthy is important, not just "not eating".

• davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Reusable water bottle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Demeter fragrances are interesting. https://demeterfragrance.com
    Lotion is nice. Bag Balm is pretty useful. http://www.bagbalm.com
    I like cookbooks. The Skinnytaste blogger Gina Homolka has some cookbooks and a meal planner.
    A coloring book and crayons or colored pencils.