Losing, but feeling fatter than ever?

Options
8ritt55
8ritt55 Posts: 17 Member
edited December 2017 in Motivation and Support
I've lost around 18 lbs or so and have noticed a big difference in my body shape over time.

However looking in the mirror this morning I feel like I look bigger than I did two months ago?? It's so strange and I know it doesn't make any logical sense... but yeah

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Try using photos as benchmarks/milestones.

I've found that they're much more honest than the mirror.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty normal to me. I often have days where I just feel fatter. It's usually hormonal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I too have "fat" days and my BMI is 21 :/
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I get it.

I think it has something to do with your brain "catching up" to where you are. Your lower weight is now the "new normal" and it isn't comparing you to the "old normal".

Or at least that's been my experience.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    We can be our own worst enemy. looking into the mirror one day to the next changes. Sounds like your mentally beating yourself up and just take a deep breath.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. I've lost almost 30lbs and I truly feel like I look mostly the same sometimes. However, my family members (who are around me every day) have noticed and my clothes fit differently. I think it takes a little bit for our brains to "catch up" to our new appearances. As the above poster said, we can truly be our own worst enemies when it comes to personal appearance. Just breath and remember that 18lb isn't all just water loss :wink: you're making wonderful progress and should be very very proud of yourself!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    We all experience 'fat' days, shrug it off because you know you are doing something to change your body, stick with the plan and you'll be glad you did. Think positive thoughts and smile (because that always helps us feel better) :smile:
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've lost 57lbs and feel the same often. I agree it's mostly hormonal
  • urshela111
    urshela111 Posts: 25 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Im down 30 lbs, every other day i seek validation from my family if i have lost enough, if it shows at all, inspite of a lot of people telling me that i have.
    I still look in the mirror and feel like i havent lost much.
    But
    Dont negate your accomplishment. Let the number do the talking. Do a comparison with body statistics simulator online. See the difference. Even the smallest change is a great achievement. Because there are many people struggling to get to where you are!
    On that note. Congratulations!! Be consistent.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 pounds, have been maintaining my goal weight for five months, and still sometimes feel "fat." I think part of it is that a lot of us here have spent many years thinking of ourselves as fat, and it's hard to break that mentality. Looking at pictures of yourself at your starting weight can help show you how far you've come. If you've dropped a clothing size, hang onto at least one old article of clothing and put it on when you need a reminder.

Sometimes those "fat" days are just bloating/water fluctuation too. If you've recently eaten differently than you normally do, or if you have hormonal water fluctuations, or if your exercise routine has recently changed, all of those things and more can cause changes in water weight that might make you feel bloated.
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when I lose weight! Then I'll see a picture of myself and think, "Wow, that's me?!"

A side note: Could it be the clothes you're wearing? If I wear looser/baggier clothes from when I still had the weight on me, I look bigger than I am.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You cannot trust your perception of yourself in the mirror. Progress pics, clothes, and measurements are more reliable. It takes a long time and a lot of conscious training to change your mirror perception.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I chalked some of that thought due to my fat becoming more squishy and not as solid.. it can feel like your jiggling everywhere more when it gets like that even though you're losing
  • 8ritt55
    8ritt55 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    21 lbs lost and I'm still having this problem! I think it must have to do with perception of the "new normal"!
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get that too. I seem to have become so much more critical of myself. It's difficult to explain, this is the lightest I've been for many years and yet I feel that I need to hide in baggy clothes until I get to my ultimate goal weight. I struggle more now with what to wear and often feel terribly fat, even though I am now at my original goal weight. Sometimes I catch sight of myself and can't quite believe how much I've lost and feel almost slim, but the majority of the time I feel too fat and just avoid mirrors altogether.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, you've lost a lot of weight. You need to be proud of what you've accomplished.

I think this is always going to be a problem. I've lost 219 Lbs - I can see and feel the difference. The thing that bothers me is sometimes, I still feel fat too! I still have some weight to lose but when I eat something that I think I shouldn't, I'm irrational about it. Cheese is my weakness and I swear I feel bloated the moment I eat a piece of cheese. It's irrational and I have to stop myself and remember how much weight I've lost and not be so hard on myself.

I find that I have to keep telling myself how well I have done, I need that kind of reassurance from myself.

Best wishes,

Tina Marie
  • noumena_
    noumena_ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ive been feeling the same lately. Especially in photos I feel I look the same and get really discouraged. Maybe our fat was making our skin tighter and smoother whereas our fat is now a little floppy. I don't know. It's a bummer though. I just have to keep trying and assuming I'll feel better one day.