Stomach apron

Options
I'm looking for some tips or suggestions for reducing/toning a flabby lower abdomen. Currently I do planks and 3 different variations of crunches, but I'd like to know if anyone has *personal experience* with other exercises?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, unfortunately.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Is it fat or is it just skin leftover from losing weight? If it's fat, then you just need a calorie deficit. Thin, loose skin may need surgery to be removed if still a problem after two years or so.
  • Isa_Bbott
    Isa_Bbott Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is it fat or is it just skin leftover from losing weight? If it's fat, then you just need a calorie deficit. Thin, loose skin may need surgery to be removed if still a problem after two years or so.

It's a combination. It is more flab than fat though.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Isa_Bbott wrote: »

PP has it right on the money. How long has it been since you've lost the majority of the weight? Skin can tighten for as long as two years after baby/weight loss, I think.
  • Isa_Bbott
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

I'm reducing the whole area with the abdominal exercises I'm already doing. This section however hasn't gotten the memo yet, so I wanted to know if there were any target exercises I could do in conjunction with what I'm already doing to get a better burn.
  • DancingMoosie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If it's flabby, then it's fat. Skin is very thin and crepey. You might want to add some strength training to your routine. There are no "target exercises" to get the results you are after. Full body compound exercises are best.
  • Isa_Bbott
    Options
    If it's flabby, then it's fat. Skin is very thin and crepey. You might want to add some strength training to your routine.

Would that be things like incorporating a medicine ball? Do you have insight into weight training so I could ask you some questions?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I know more about lifting weights than medicine balls...
  • Isa_Bbott
    edited December 2017
    Options

PP has it right on the money. How long has it been since you've lost the majority of the weight? Skin can tighten for as long as two years after baby/weight loss, I think.

I dropped 6 sizes 10 years ago when I realized I had a dairy allergy. The weight literally fell off when I started feeling better and eating less fat (weird, huh?). But with all of the dairy alternatives they have now, I slowly gained back 30pounds of the 40 pounds I lost and I'm working to adjust my diet and exercise to lose the weight again. But having a baby during that time didn't help anything either...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The can't spot reduce. The fat will come off in that area when it's good and ready. Usually people are prone to lose that fat last, but it's unpredictable and different for everyone. Exercising is, of course, good, but it won't help you lose that fat in that area any faster.

I've come to realize that mine will always be there, just smaller :(
  • Frogsareawesomenotslimy
    Options
    While it does take time for skin to tighten up, I have to disagree about if its flabby its fat. This is not always the case.I have a friend who lost 146 pounds and had ALOT of extra skin. She waited 3 years and still had a very large apron of what she assumed was fat that wouldn't budge because she also thought skin should be thin and crepey. After having the surgery to remove the extra skin- 9 pounds of skin btw. She asked the doctor about it and he told her no amount of cutting calories or waiting for it to shrink was going to reduce that. Literally all her excess skin from her tummy had more or less sagged down and the weight of it kept it stretched a bit.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, you can't spot reduce and stomach flab is usually the last to go - it may not be ideal for you to get down to a low enough body fat percentage to lose this last bit. However, there are some things you can do to improve your abdominal muscles which will hold your stomach in better, forming a better foundation underneath that flab. I'm a big fan of the ab roller, and I also saw huge improvement in my obliques from Bollywood style Zumba. Also, the skin will shrink somewhat over time.
  • Isa_Bbott
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I'm reducing the whole area with the abdominal exercises I'm already doing. This section however hasn't gotten the memo yet, so I wanted to know if there were any target exercises I could do in conjunction with what I'm already doing to get a better burn.

No, you are not. Exercises don't reduce areas, eating in a deficit does. You can do all the abdomen exercises you want, but if you are not eating in a deficit, you will not lose fat.

Well that's interesting, because I have been losing fat. So.. Strange..
  • Isa_Bbott
    Options
    While it does take time for skin to tighten up, I have to disagree about if its flabby its fat. This is not always the case.I have a friend who lost 146 pounds and had ALOT of extra skin. She waited 3 years and still had a very large apron of what she assumed was fat that wouldn't budge because she also thought skin should be thin and crepey. After having the surgery to remove the extra skin- 9 pounds of skin btw. She asked the doctor about it and he told her no amount of cutting calories or waiting for it to shrink was going to reduce that. Literally all her excess skin from her tummy had more or less sagged down and the weight of it kept it stretched a bit.

That's disconcerting to hear, but I thank you for your honesty. I've heard that as well: that if there is a certain amount, there is no bringing it back.
  • Isa_Bbott
    Options
    As others have already said, you can't spot reduce and stomach flab is usually the last to go - it may not be ideal for you to get down to a low enough body fat percentage to lose this last bit. However, there are some things you can do to improve your abdominal muscles which will hold your stomach in better, forming a better foundation underneath that flab. I'm a big fan of the ab roller, and I also saw huge improvement in my obliques from Bollywood style Zumba. Also, the skin will shrink somewhat over time.

I had forgotten about Zumba.. that is a fun way to go. I went to an intro class when I was pregnant and had a blast. Thanks for the reminder!
  • anusinghnp
    anusinghnp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on a keto diet since 1 month and I find that my stomach apron has tightened. Loss in inches is positive . But will it really go away ? I do gym twice a week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Flab is fat.
    Whether it's fat or combination of fat and excess skin you can't exercise either fat or skin.

Exercising muscles doesn't reduce the subcutaneous fat that is laying on top of your muscles - they are distinct and different tissues.

Exercise definitely, but for the right reasons such as good posture, strength, health - maybe even enjoyment!