Heavy eating

Options
FaithGonzalesss
FaithGonzalesss Posts: 39 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
My normal caloric intake goal is about 1,300 although i usually stay under that. Today ive had 1,268+ and it's only 2:30 in the afternoon. WIll i gain weight? or just water weight? I'm not the most active person as far as working out, can i naturally lose all weight ill gain from binging today? I cant weigh myself til Wednesday and it's driving me crazy. I'm 5'6 & last time i weighed myself a few days ago i was 154. I'm happy with that weight im just scared ill be 156+ because of this binge. btw I was mostly having refried beans, and Mexican rice. i started off breakfast with half a banana with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter in about 2-3 cups of almond milk.so I started off breakfast good but after that ive just been having ALOT of refried beans and Mexican rice. I also "feel" heavy. Like my weight went up by 5-10lbs, ive had eating problems before, not eating enough or at all for a while. so stuff like this is really upsetting and worrying to me because of my weight. Some days the numbers of my weight scares me, sometimes my body just scares me because i see what most people dont.sometimes its my weight and my body.

Replies

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oh geez. No, you will not gain weight from eating the amount a small child needs for basic energy needs by 2:30. Even if you don't workout, you will either maintain your weight or continue on your deficit even if you double your intake for a day. You probably burn between 1900-2400 just going about your day. Any gains you may see are water weight/sodium and that's it.
  • FaithGonzalesss
    Options
    Oh geez. No, you will not gain weight from eating the amount a small child needs for basic energy needs by 2:30. Even if you don't workout, you will either maintain your weight or continue on your deficit even if you double your intake for a day. You probably burn between 1900-2400 just going about your day. Any gains you may see are water weight/sodium and that's it.

i usually notice when i eat heavily my weight is shifty for about a week, sometimes 2. How long does it take for the water weight to shed off?
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you cut carbs/salt you'll see a quick drop within a day or 3. However the moment you touch sodium or a carbohydrate it'll likely go up again. I would just keep on a sustainable eating plan that works for you and maybe do some cardio if you want to expend a little more. Hormones also play a huge role. PMS is horrible as we crave more carbs and actually utilize more too..but carbs+hormonal water retention = temporary weight gain 3-5 lbs usually. Hormones aside, it sholdn't take more than a few days to a week to see your body return to where it was after the bloat is gone.

i usually notice when i eat heavily my weight is shifty for about a week, sometimes 2. How long does it take for the water weight to shed off?

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Faith, it takes 3500 calories to make one pound of fat. That means you would need to eat 500 calories over your maintenance needs for a week to gain a pound. However, it's natural for body weight to change as much as six or seven pounds in one day due to water and waste retention. Eating a few more carbs than usual may cause a temporary water weight gain, which is normal and will quickly disappear.

Can you get yourself a bathroom scale? Weighing more often and learning how your body varies from day to day might make you more confident. A kitchen scale to weigh your food is also really useful - you may find that you can safely eat more than you thought you could, or that you have been underestimating portions of certain foods like peanut butter.

You don't have to work out every moment to see a big improvement in your health and gain a few more calories to eat back. Just fifteen minutes a day of vigorous activity like dancing to a YouTube workout video, or thirty minutes of walking, is much better than nothing. Start small and see if you like how it makes you feel!
  • FaithGonzalesss
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It depends. If you cut carbs/salt you'll see a quick drop within a day or 3. However the moment you touch sodium or a carbohydrate it'll likely go up again. I would just keep on a sustainable eating plan that works for you and maybe do some cardio if you want to expend a little more. Hormones also play a huge role. PMS is horrible as we crave more carbs and actually utilize more too..but carbs+hormonal water retention = temporary weight gain 3-5 lbs usually. Hormones aside, it sholdn't take more than a few days to a week to see your body return to where it was after the bloat is gone.

i am actually on my period and can gain from 3-8 lbs even with me eating lightly on my period. i just always get anxious that it wont go away, that itd linger. Im also vegan so my entire diet is basically carbs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Rice is carb, by the way. Refried beans, though, are mostly beans and fat, which is great, but just try not to get too much most times.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more caffeine during the day and getting more sleep at night when you get the time of the month munchies, it always helped me. Your body instinctively wants to get your energy levels higher so you crave carbs.
  • FaithGonzalesss
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Faith, it takes 3500 calories to make one pound of fat. That means you would need to eat 500 calories over your maintenance needs for a week to gain a pound. However, it's natural for body weight to change as much as six or seven pounds in one day due to water and waste retention. Eating a few more carbs than usual may cause a temporary water weight gain, which is normal and will quickly disappear.

Can you get yourself a bathroom scale? Weighing more often and learning how your body varies from day to day might make you more confident. A kitchen scale to weigh your food is also really useful - you may find that you can safely eat more than you thought you could, or that you have been underestimating portions of certain foods like peanut butter.

You don't have to work out every moment to see a big improvement in your health and gain a few more calories to eat back. Just fifteen minutes a day of vigorous activity like dancing to a YouTube workout video, or thirty minutes of walking, is much better than nothing. Start small and see if you like how it makes you feel!

I could get a kitchen scale but my family isnt really weight obsessed. Like dieting. My sister is sorta. But if i got a kitchen scale my dad would think id be going too far, way too far with dieting like to where hed need to worry about me. and i also live with my mom some time of the week and my dads some time of the week so i have a bathroom scale at my dads but not my moms and itd be the same with a kitchen scale. and also im really bad with numbers, ive never understood how to use kitchen scales or if id be able to use them correctly.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

I could get a kitchen scale but my family isnt really weight obsessed. Like dieting. My sister is sorta. But if i got a kitchen scale my dad would think id be going too far, way too far with dieting like to where hed need to worry about me. and i also live with my mom some time of the week and my dads some time of the week so i have a bathroom scale at my dads but not my moms and itd be the same with a kitchen scale. and also im really bad with numbers, ive never understood how to use kitchen scales or if id be able to use them correctly.

Are you old enough to be on this site?
  • FaithGonzalesss
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Are you old enough to be on this site?

yes
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,465 Member
    Options
    Just drink 4 cups of green tea, as you suggested on your "green tea diet" post.
  • FaithGonzalesss
    Options
    I dont depend on this trend to actually lose weight, i just find stuff like this interesting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Interesting how? I'm curious.
  • FaithGonzalesss
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Interesting how? I'm curious.

i love the theories of altering my body. weight loss/weight gain and such. so stuff like this fascinates me. whether it makes me lose weight or not ill be glad to be able to say it did or didnt
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can't test it without actually doing a controlled experiment, though (as discussed on the other thread).

I like trying things too, but if you want to really learn something (beyond "is this something I will enjoy") you need to do more.