Getting started...again (Lost, Budget, & Focus)

Options
So I have gone back and forth for the past two years with "eating better" but it always crashes and burns rather quickly. :(

I always have an idea of what eating better is, for example more veggies, more fruits, more organic, more natural, more lean, less processed, less packaged, less trans fats, less sugary food, etc etc.... but then I get to the grocery store and am kinda lost. I buy things I think fit with the "eating better" idea but once home I never really can put it all together.

Another factor is budget, me and my boyfriend (whom is also on this journey with me) have a very tight budget. So sometimes the $0.10 pack of ramen wins the what to buy with our tiny wallet battle.

So I need focus on how to put together a healthy eating plan without getting confused or cutting off the electric so we can eat healthy!

Replies

• hatrck69
    hatrck69 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm keeping an eye on this as well.........I'm in the same boat!
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU.:ohwell:
  • pauterson
    Options
    Change your mind set... you're not "Getting started"... you're changing - forever. If you adopt a healthier lifestyle and make it your identity you're going to be that healthier person. it's not about starting/stopping, eating good/bad, it's about who you choose to be.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    While you're on a budget, try not to think that you have to go out of your way to buy special items. Maybe cut back on any "extras" you may be buying and stick to some simple meals. Whole wheat bread (sara lee has one that's usually less than $2), sliced deli meat, whatever veggies are on sale/in season, Activia isn't a terrible yogurt and it's usually one of the cheaper ones....typically ground turkey instead of ground beef is a bit cheaper...sometimes frozen fruit is cheaper than fresh fruit and it's just as good and lasts longer...I like instant oatmeal for breakfast with some frozen blueberries
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    can't get much cheaper than cooking up a bag of dried beans... also packs tons of nutrients, fiber, and protein.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Check out:

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/

Both are awesome sites, with great low-cost recipes! I hope you find something you like! :drinker:
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel when it comes to budget issues!!! Here's some tips that I have learned and the basic food plan I try to stick to.

1. Shop at farmer's markets for fruits and veggies (I had to visit a few before I found one that was super cheap with good quality)
    2. Buy your meat in the clearance section at grocery stores (whenever I go shopping I always cruise the clearance section whether I need meat or not and just throw it in my freezer)
    3. I don't buy bread but if you do, find a bakery outlet.....WAY cheaper then grocery stores!

Meal plan
    Breakfast
    Greek yogurt (I get chobani from Costco since it has 3 times the amount of protein then regular yogurt)
    plain oatmeal (I buy this from the bulk section at Winco)
    1/2 scoop Muscle Milk vanilla protein powder (Costco)

Snack
    Fruit (strawberries and cherries)

Lunch
    Boneless skinless chicken breast (clearance meat section...I cook up a weeks worth of these on Sunday and put them in individual baggies for the week)
    Veggies (I like sugar snap peas, carrots, 1/2 cucumber and tomato)

Snack
    Fruit (grapes/orange and peach)
    Light string cheese

Dinner
    Lean protein
    Veggies (broccoli/carrots/salad)
    Potato/brown rice

Hope this helps!!!!
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I know it can be tough to put it all together on a budget. There are a few things you can do to cut down on the bill a bit.

Buy frozen chicken breast / fish rather than fresh. I know I can buy a big box of frozen chicken from Costco cheaper than buying it fresh. Just remember to take it out and let ot defrost in the fridge overnight when you will be cooking it.

Buying pre washed/chopped veggies and salad bags costs more than doing it yourself.

I always buy my fruits and veggies at the local farm market. I save a ton.

Look for sales and stock up - I always keep my eyes out for a good deal.

For me, sometimes I have to eat something I don't like as much because it saves me so much more money. For example, Tilapia is not my favorite fish, there are many others I would rather eat, but it's so darn cheap that I just can't justify paying the extra for a different type of fish.

I know there are great meal ideas all over this website if you are looking for help putting everything together. I keep things rather simple for myself. A typical day would include an egg white omlette with fat free ham, veggies and low fat cheese along with a piece of whole grain toast for breaky. Lunch is usually a big salad with chicken breast and an apple sauce or such. I have a granola bar for snack. Dinner is meat (chicken breast, fish, pork chop) with lots of veggies and sometimes a small serving of rice, potato or quinoa (which is my fave!!)

If you get in the habit of always logging everything you eat on to MFP you will soon see what works for you and where you can make changes. Just focus on keeping your calories at or under goal for now, and go from there. You will find yourself saying no to the things that usually tempt you because you know once you log it you will be running out of calories for later. And if you ar anything like me you wont want to waste those precious calories on something that wont fill you up....I don't find it worth going hungry for.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to msg me anytime if you need some help along the way :)
  • Journey_2061
    Journey_2061 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is a journey. Change one or two things at a time. One thing to change early in journey is boxed processed food. Way to much sodium and chemicals that are not good for your body. Read labels. :smile:

I like using the Kraft recipes website. There are options for on a budget and eating healthy.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/home.aspx
  • redhotriot
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

I know this is a lifestyle change but it is a "start" because I am starting to change my lifestyle.