Going on Steroids for two weeks... eekkk....

Options
Okay, so I have been having some breathing problems for the past few weeks, and the Allergy Doc. just put me on an inhaled and oral steroid for two weeks. In the past when I have been on oral steriods, I just want to eat and eat because I feel hungry all the time.

Has anyone been on Steroids while on MFP who has had success not gaining weight while on them? Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Million!!!

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    A two week regimen of steroids should not affect you like you are thinking.
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I have been on steriods for nine years. While it is true they can cause you to feel hungry everybody is different. I have lost 32 lbs on MFP. and still take my prednisone. Just count your calories and you will do just fine....
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    no recommendations on the hunger thing but i will say that some steroids will make you puffy and retain water so don't be too terribly shocked if you see your weight jump.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is a steroid, but it's a corticosteroid and not an anabolic. In two weeks you shouldn't notice any weight gain. If you do - step away from the sandwich :tongue:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I was steroids a while ago, (I think it was allergy related too) and it didn't have any impact. When I asked the doc about, he said it would only make me gain weight if I was taking them for an extended period of time. You should be totally fine.
  • cpfmrp
    cpfmrp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You all are GREAT!!! Yay!! Okay.. I'll just keep doing what I am doing... I have lost one pound with 15 more to go to a healthier me.

Yay!!!
  • GypsyRose25
    Options
    I've been taking Prednisone since May. I gained 15 pounds in 2 months, but I am only 3.5 lbs away from shedding the last of it. Mind you, I ate everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in sight for those 2 months, so it's not surprising I gained that much weight.
  • sstillwell
    sstillwell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It makes you hungry and maybe retain a little water, but it doesn't make you EAT...only you can do that. I'm currently on long-term steroids to try and reduce blockage in a small vein in the back of my eye for a condition called CRVO (Central Retinal Vein Occlusion). The double-whammy was that the doctors ALSO told me to stop exercising, for fear of making the condition worse...and so I ballooned up about 20 lbs. Finally I got fed up and took control of the issue myself...MILD, MILD exercise, not lowering my head below my torso (no floor exercises...and when my doctor admitted that I could sit on my *kitten* and lose vision, or I could exercise and lose vision, they admitted that if I was careful there was no real reason for me not to exercise other than their knee-jerk cautious reaction...mind you, I LIKE caution in a doctor...I'm not complaining), and get back on my diet and OUT of the bag of potato chips. I control what goes in my mouth, not the steroids. Yes, I'm hungry. No, eating won't make me NOT hungry...but it WILL make me heavier and make it more likely that my CRVO gets worse, which can eventually mean blindness. I'm not going there if I have anything to say about it.

I've been doing Bodybugg and decided to try MFP as an alternative to it (the bodybugg works wonderfully, but constantly wearing the band in hot, sweaty weather...ugh.) I've been losing weight the same as ever.

However...do look out for other side effects of steroids, especially if they're higher dosages or longer-term use...it can affect your blood sugar, potentially but not always tipping you towards diabetes, and it can cause some rather severe mood swings in some people (men more than women, but nobody's immune). I didn't have problems with the former, but boy oh boy was I NOT a person you wanted to be around before they tapered my dosage down...yikes.

I'm not a doctor, so be sure to ask about any side effects or other concerns you may have...that's what the doctor's there for! Speak to your pharmacist if your doctor isn't available...sometimes they're even better when it comes to knowledge about side effects and interactions.

Stay strong, and know that YOU have more willpower than a little pill of compressed powder. I'm positive of it. :smile: