My First Breakthrough

Options
I started out this process really well in losing about 2 to 2.5 lbs a week (for the first 3-4 weeks), but I had been about the same weight (maybe even a bit higher) for about 2 weeks now. I was breaking it down to 'I've started lifting weights, that must be just me building muscle', but really on the inside I was already feeling discouraged from this whole process so far.

BUT, earlier this week at work, I had had two guys (I work with about a company wide 8 to 2 male to female population) tell me something along the lines of "Wow, you look skinny" or "You've lost weight haven't you? It really suites you."

Even though I just want to say they're being nice, and you can't really tell yet, it feels really nice to finally hear from people who don't know I'm on a (hopefully successful) weight loss journey along with lifestyle change, tell me that they can tell. The only people other than my immediate family (who I live with) are my two best friends.

I think normally those comments would have been almost insulting, like wow, did I not look okay before? but now it's more of a celebratory finally, they noticed.

It may not seem like much, but it's just affirmation that what I'm doing is working and I need to keep going! It does get easier! It does make you feel better, both on the outside and on the inside! AND it is worth it. :)

24 yr old Female
Height: 5 foot 7 inches
Starting weight: 218 (October 21, 2017)
Current weight: 207 (December 3, 2017)

Gym (Cardio and Weights): 5-6 days a week (Depending on my work schedule)

Replies

• aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I so needed this!!! I’ve been lifting and doing cardio for the past month and the scale has not budged!!! Either I’m logging food incorrectly or maybe it’s water weight (I’ve read muscles retain water in the beginning). Now mind you I haven’t been consistent. But this past week I hammered down and stuck to my workout routine and was within my calories. Still no budge on the scale. I’m going to stay with it, I’m just wondering how long until the scale does move because I am at 190.6 and I am aiming for 140-145. I’m also 5’7”.

Great job staying with it so far and your hard work getting noticed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When you begin an exercise program, you are likely to cause micro-injuries to your muscles. Your body wants to repair these injuries, and uses water while doing so. If you continually exercise and continually re-injure your muscles, your body continually retains water to aid in the healing process.

Take a day of rest. Drink more water. Then see what you weigh. Regardless of what you weigh, keep exercising with proper form and with a good plan. Exercise is not necessary to lose weight, but it is necessary for good health, so exercise.
  • kb7202017
    kb7202017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @aganey I was the same (even fluctuated up) from 11/17-12/1. I finally saw a drop in "scale number" after 14 days. Those 2 weeks felt like an ETERNITY! My end goal is 143lbs, but I'm open to a higher "weight" if I have good muscle tone (which I hope too) without looking like a body builder.

As hard as it has been to correctly log food, it is super necessary...., even on days when you go over your calories by a bunch. That just ends up being a learning experience for you later. I have had those days where I eat pizza then regret it later, it helps with your portion control and overall healthy experience. Stick with it and drink a TON of water. I carry around a 32 oz blender bottle and have it filled with water constantly. I don;t even have to think about 'the need to drink' anymore, it's just a habit now. I have not had anything other than water for 2 months either. I feel great.

Hope you see a budge in your scale soon! (:
  • kb7202017
    kb7202017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 Thanks for the information! I will continue to exercise and drink plenty of water.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!