Fast idea for breakfast without alot of sugar

Options
I don't have alot of time in the morning and I'm usually not hungry but need the calories any ideas

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is a lot of sugar, and why focus on exactly sugar? What do you like/dislike?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    How many calories? Boiled eggs are low sugar and can be made ahead of time. Just grab and go.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    csporter54 wrote: »
    I don't have alot of time in the morning and I'm usually not hungry but need the calories any ideas

Why do you need the calories? If you're not hungry, can't you just eat them later?

Or drink them?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Why do you need the calories? If you're not hungry, can't you just eat them later?

Or drink them?

This^^

I like to eat more at night so I don't bother eating until the afternoon. It's all personal preference.
  • csporter54
    csporter54 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 2800 calorie diet and it just seems everything is loaded with sodium and sugar those empty calories don't help me gain healthy weight but thanks to those who helped with ideas
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 2800 calorie diet and it just seems everything is loaded with sodium and sugar those empty calories don't help me gain healthy weight but thanks to those who helped with ideas

Sodium isn't empty calories, it doesn't contain calories at all.

Sugar does have calories and it can be part of a healthy 2,800 calorie diet to result in weight gain. I understand if you prefer other foods, but there's no reason to avoid sugar just so you can gain weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Focus on protein instead - Oatmeal, stir in protein powder after it's cooked. I bake a pan of eggs and cut into squares (store in freezer) that way I can toast an English muffin and warm an egg square (at the same time)....add a slice of cheese and I'm ready to go. Look into freeze ahead egg burritos.

Is there a medical reason you need to limit sodium?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You can literally eat anything you like for breakfast. It doesn't have to be traditional 'breakfast foods' if something else fits your needs better. Have leftovers from dinner. Have a sandwich (eggs are great on sandwiches). Have a salad or soup or whatever.
  • csporter54
    csporter54 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure

Are you saying that you have high blood pressure? That's a good reason to monitor sodium intake. It has nothing to do with empty calories though.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth either... and especially in the morning it makes me sleepy.

Back in my breakfast-eating days I would make these:
    https://insidebrucrewlife.com/2014/12/loaded-egg-burritos/#_a5y_p=3148711

So easy to make (maybe 30 minutes prep for a week's worth?). Easy to control the number of calories in them. More satisfying than a hard boiled egg. Stick them in the freezer then take out and microwave for 45 seconds and you're on your way!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Or drink them?

This^^

I like to eat more at night so I don't bother eating until the afternoon. It's all personal preference.

That's the way I am too but if I was on a 2,800 calorie diet I think I'd have to eat just about all day to get my calories in!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've had good success prepping breakfast sandwiches/wraps then freezing them. I actually had one recently that I made a few months ago and it still tastes great and not soggy! They range between 400-500 cals depending on what I put in them.

General process:
    - Scramble eggs with salt and pepper until mostly cooked (not fully cooked)
    - Fully cook bacon/sausage patties in oven
    - Toast english muffins/bagels with butter under broiler
    - Assemble sandwiches after ingredients are mostly cool: slice of cheese, egg, bacon, slice of cheese
    - Wrap completed sandwiches tightly in a piece of paper towel, then tinfoil, then in a large ziplock bag

When ready to reheat, remove from ziplock bag, remove tinfoil, and place (still wrapped in paper towel) on a plate in the microwave. Microwave on low for 3 minutes (or so), then high for 2 minutes. Rest for a minute before eating!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oats plus berries has sugar, but you seem to be concerned with "empty calories" and berries have micronutrients, so is that too much sugar or no?

My fast morning smoothies that I'm currently into have a lot of sugar (10 g today), but from veg and fruit, mostly.

Many egg based breakfasts are fast and don't have sugar; cottage cheese and raw veg is fast and won't have much sugar.

Yesterdays dinner leftovers will be fast and not have any more sugar than your dinner did.

There are literally millions of things you can eat for breakfast that don't have a lot of added sugar (if that's the concern) or sodium, so I guess it depends on what you like and want at breakfast time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

A spoonful of peanut butter and a glass of full fat milk
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

1.pasture raised egg mixed with coconut oil or grass fed butter is one. you can add spinach and mushroom if you want a potassium boost.
    2.low carb protein powder mixed with six egg whites for a protein pancake topped with butter.
    3. avocado with some pink salt, MCT oil, (spinach and things optional)
    4. Full fat milk is another good choice and so are a handful of pecans or home made nut butters.
    these are a few ideas.
  • rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Protein smoothies if you don't dress them up with too many extras. Avoid adding fruits or use a half portion of a berry which have fewer sugars than other fruits. Oatmeal is another good one already mentioned.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    baked chicken and veggies was my go-to in the morning. I had time for a sit-down meal but I guess you could do a wrap.